Author Topic: 6 creatures from the creature editor  (Read 2300 times)

Offline La_farm

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • emo yak
    • View Profile
6 creatures from the creature editor
« on: March 27, 2007, 01:42:05 pm »

Dakasur
Animalia (animals)
Chordata (chordates)
Sauropsida (crocodiles, lizards, snakes, turtles)
Testudines (turtles)
Geoemydidae (Eurasian pond and river turtles and Neotropical wood turtles)
Batagur (mangrove terrapin)
B. bipedem
Height- 2’5’’-3’
Length (with tail)- 4’
Weight- 40 lbs
Highest Speed- 20 mph
Lifespan- up to 100 years
Diet- Omnivorous, main food source comes from small animals and eggs, eats a variety of aquatic plants. Rarely it will feed on dry grasses and scavenge kills.
Evolution- The dakasur evolved from an Asian terrapin that thrived after humans left Earth. When humans had overpopulated Asia and nearly wiped out the ecosystem, the terrapins were one of the few remaining animals left and quickly ascended to the top of the food chain in a habitat where only generally small aquatic animals were left. Because the terrapin lacked larger predators, it began to lose its shell and developed stronger, well developed legs to catch prey. Soon its front feet grew longer claws for better success rates in killing. As the ecosystem rebounded and forestry returned to bare stretches of land, the terrapin slowly evolved a bipedal nature and a stronger, longer tail to aid in its upright form. In order to survive in grassy expanses it had to stand upright in order to identify and escape its new natural predator: the kellid (discussed later).
Now the terrapin was transformed into the dakasur. The carapace bone previously underdeveloped after the loss of the shell slowly encased the head and allowed for a huge increase in brain mass. The dakasur developed larger eyes and ears, and even a set of feather-like sensory organs on the top of its head it uses to navigate in the dark (think whiskers on cats) since the kellid excels at night sensory.
Behavior- Dakasurs are fairly social and excel at hunting in groups to take down larger prey. They form small family groups of about 3-5 but it’s common to find them living alone for most of their lives. As the kellid infringes more and more into the dakasurs’ lives, they have begun to form more tight-knit groups in order to survive at higher rates. Because of this, they have learned vocalization calls and social structure. The kellid threat may be the reason these creatures advance and soon become sentient in order to outwit the powerful hunters.

Kellid
Animalia (animals)
Chordata (chordates)
Aves (birds)
Psittaciformes (parrots)
Cacatuidae (cockatoos)
Cacatua (more cockatoos)
C. gigantia
Height- 4’5’’
Weight- 90 lbs
Highest Speed- 15 mph
Lifespan- 60-80 years
Diet- Carnivorous, catches many small animals and insects. Occasionally attacks and kills prey around its size. Generally feeds on dakasurs.
Evolution- The kellid evolution history correlates with the dakasur’s ascent into the top of the food chain. When Southeast Asia was nearly stripped to the bone and forests had almost completely disappeared, many birds went extinct or left the region. The few that stayed behind, namely the cockatoos, filled the void left by large carnivores. Since birds were displaced from their forest homes, they become primary land dwellers as their legs grew longer and served as the main source of locomotion. The wings shrank considerably, but served purpose to fly to the occasional grouping of trees. As the terrain became grassy to replace the empty parches of land, the birds grew taller. By now their diet consisted mainly of insects and very small animals since fruits had been wiped out of the region. But when they needed to stand tall to see above the grass line to spot prey, they developed an appetite for larger animals, namely the dakasur. For almost all of the dakasur’s evolution from terrapin to what it became, the kellids did not feed on them, which is what allowed them to lose their shell. If the kellids had developed faster, the dakasur might not have ever advanced to where it is. However, after the kellids taste switched to the dakasur, it forced them into a stage of greater brain development.
Behavior- Kellids are very solitary, meeting other species only to mate during certain parts of the year. However, kellid siblings have been known to hunt together for a few years after leaving the nest. The bright colors of their feathers that line the head to the tail are used in courtship rituals and also as deterrents to possible threats, though the kellid is rarely threatened at a mature age.

Saberline
Animalia (animals)
Chordata (chordates)
Mammalia (mammals)
Carnivora (cats, bears, dogs, etc)
Felidae (cats)
Panthera (lions, tigers, jaguars, leopards)
P. cornus
Height- 2’2’’
Length (with tail)- 3’-4’
Weight- 35-45 lbs
Highest Speed- 36 mph
Lifespan- 11-15 years
Diet- Carnivorous, preys on small mammals and animals. Capable of catching larger mammals around its size.
Evolution- Saberlines are descendants of jaguars of South America. They’re nocturnal, and excel at hunting due to their dark coat. They lost their spots when they moved out of the forests to hunt in the savannahs that had greatly increased after the departure of man. The species is incredibly rare, however, because large predators were almost wiped out completely across the whole globe. The size is a direct result of this, because large predators declined as large prey did, too. Many of its competitors went extinct, such as the mountain lion, lynx, and ocelot. The growth of the horn on the forehead may be attributed to sexual dimorphism and male-male competition of mates, since it is not found on females. However, it is unknown how it developed i.e. what structure it came from.
Behavior- Solitary to an extent. Couples mate for life, but until finding a mate, saberlines are extremely territorial. They sleep in the hollows of tree stumps (formed from giant termites) or in low-lying nests at the base of trees. They are fairly timid and have been known to avoid large herds of animals. They have higher success rates at hunting other solitary animals.

Serdacil
Animalia (animals)
Chordata (chordates)
Amphibia (frogs, salamanders)
Anura (frogs)
Rhinodermatidae (Darwin’s frogs)
Rhinoderma (more Darwin’s frogs)
R. primitivus
Length- 1’
Weight- 1-2 lbs
Highest Speed- 10 mph
Lifespan- up to 5 years
Diet- Carnivorous, aquatic insects, small animals, larvae, eggs
Evolution- Frogs slowly died out as the planet grew hotter. Amazingly, evolution favored the tadpole stage of the frog’s life and carnivorous tadpoles thrived. Instead of developing legs and arms, they developed primitive tentacles that aid in swimming and catching prey. Some of these tentacles formed around the mouth and are used to direct food into the mouth. The tentacles on the side of the body help swimming more than anything. Their eyes grew into stalks so they could see out of the water without having to leave it. This increased their success in catching insects that hover just above the water’s surface. The tadpoles reproduce by agamospermy (reproduction without fertilization).
Behavior- Serdacil have a veracious appetite and eat anything they can catch. Sometimes they eat each other when food is scarce. They tend to live in warm waters found inland of South America, Central America, and southern North America.

Spotted Caldicor
Animalia (animals)
Chordata (chordates)
Mammalia (mammals)
Perissodactyla (odd-toed undulates- horses, rhinos, tapirs)
Rhinocerotidae (rhinos)
Ceratotherium (white rhinos)
C. alta
Height- 11’-13’
Weight- 1000 lbs
Highest Speed- 18 mph
Lifespan- 25-40 years
Diet- Herbivorous, tall savannah grasses, shrubs, leaves of short trees
Evolution- When Humans left Earth, elephants, giraffes, and nearly all other large animals were extinct, but rhinos had been preserved throughout central Africa. When the Humans had abandoned the planet, the rhinos were free again to repopulate the continent. With such a huge diversity missing the rhino family radiated into many different new species. The caldicor basically replaced the role of the giraffe. The white rhino that filled its place became more agile and lithe with no real threats of predation. It ascended to a much taller height than other rhinos and could stand tall to see across the large expanse of open plains. It retained the horn, but as a reduced form. Its plated hide was extremely reduced and now is nearly gone altogether. Its eyesight increased dramatically as it needed to see far distances with huge expanses of open fields and savannahs with little forest.
Behavior- Caldicors are very social and travel in herds of about 10-20 members, with a small group of females leading and a single, dominant male protecting the rear. They move from field to field throughout the year while staying close to a water source constantly. Their main threat comes from hunting packs of babeasts, large, ferocious descendants of baboons and carnivorous relatives of ostriches, quequotas. Mothers defend their young viciously when needed and can kill babeasts but sometimes step on their young in the process. With the loss of a lot of weight from the rhino form, caldicors fight rarely.

Telletort
Animalia (animals)
Chordata (chordates)
Mammalia (mammals)
Perissodactyla (odd-toed undulates- horses, rhinos, tapirs)
Equidae (horses, zebras, donkeys)
Equus (horses, zebras, donkeys)
E. tripodia
Height- 4’-5’
Weight- 150-200 lbs
Highest Speed- 15 mph
Lifespan- 14-20 years
Diet- Herbivorous, underside of tree branches, shrubs
Evolution- The telletort’s rise from the donkey is mostly a mystery. The best guess is that after Humans were gone, donkeys were free to diverge without serving as pack animals anymore. The telletort evolved to feed on the underside of tree branches, which caused it to take its current shape (imagine a person doing a crabwalk). The two back feet morphed into one (evidence of two toes), possibly due to a lack in the need for two and its ability to act as a defensive limb now that the front legs are behind the head. Its central body mass is smaller than the original donkey.
Behavior- Telletorts run by pushing off with their “front legs” that rest behind the head and lands on the single “back leg”. Mating is complicated, with the belly exposed at the top of the body. The neck has evolved much like an owl and can swivel nearly 180 degrees to see behind itself, instead of having to turn completely around. This also aids in feeding. They tend to stay in herds of about 20 for protection.

If there was a better way to go then it would find me
I can't help it, the road just rolls out behind me
Be kind to me, or treat me mean
I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine
-F.A.

gec05

Re: 6 creatures from the creature editor
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 01:50:37 pm »
The Caldicor made me laugh... :)

Offline La_farm

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • emo yak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 02:43:39 pm »
The Caldicor made me laugh... :)
He looks very surprised. :o
-F.A.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 02:47:56 pm »
yay! Glad our editor is getting some use.

Offline La_farm

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • emo yak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:34:11 pm »
Oh it's a lot of fun!
-F.A.

Offline Brandonazz

• Baseball SuperStar
  • Hoc etiam transibit
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 04:35:55 pm »
It's probably the most used spore-inspired software out there, alongside Spore Flash and Flow  ;)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 06:28:32 pm »
It's probably the most used spore-inspired software out there, alongside Spore Flash and Flow  ;)

Yeah FlOw is one of the best.