Author Topic: -MAFIA- (Post-Planning)(Spectator Thread)  (Read 21527 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
-MAFIA- (Post-Planning)(Spectator Thread)
« on: March 27, 2007, 04:42:37 am »
I think it'd be cool if we set up a game of Mafia for forum members to play for one run, then maybe more after that if it was enjoyable. It'd mainly play by PM with updates in the thread..

For the uneducated.. there are two teams in the game - the mafia, and the townsfolk. The Mafia know who each other are, however the townsfolk do not know anything about who is who. The purpose of both teams is to kill off the other (Mafia wins if they become the majority, townsfolk win by killing off all of the mafia), however this is done differently by each team. One of the key things is information - at the beginning of the game, Mafia teammembers know each other's identities, but the townsfolk know precisely squat about anyone's role. Also, an important rule is that you cannot reveal your role - roles are revealed conclusivley only on death - though certain roles can discover things about other player's roles, in which case they aren't allowed to announce them in the open.

The Mafia talk among themselves each night and decide which of the townsfolk to kill. The victim with the highest vote is murdered - in the case of tied or inconclusive votes the mafia leader's vote is used. The next morning, the townsfolk find the murder and decide to lynch whoever they think is responsible - the townsfolk AND the mafia join in on this one and the highest voted person is lynched and hanged. This is where the misinformation comes into play - it is possible for the townsfolk to hang one of their own, which gives an advantage to the mafia. (It should be noted that the townsfolk always outnumber the mafia at the start of the game) So the townsfolk have to look for patterns in the murders and lynch votings and talk among themselves about their suspicions.

So that's how the game works, but then there's the addition of various roles with different powers.. i'll talk about them if I get enough interest for the game cos i'm not going to put in too much effort if we're not going to get enough interest to play a game.

EDIT: Here, this probably explains it better than I do.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 06:54:10 am by Luminar »

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia - Planning Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:22:54 pm »
Sounds cool.... if slightly too intelectual for your average Forum Games goer... you should send out Pms to the people you know will be interested.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:04:13 pm »
This is the third or fourth time this has been tried. It has fallen through each time. :-\

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 08:17:45 pm »
I love that game!
;D
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 09:09:42 pm »
Well if we could get enough interest it'd be cool. Not sure about PMs though, that's a little invasive I think.. it may have fallen through before but it'd be pretty sweet if we could get a game going.

---

Sounds cool.... if slightly too intelectual for your average Forum Games goer... you should send out Pms to the people you know will be interested.

Therein perhaps lies the catch, and perhaps the potential undoing of this topic - not all the clevers actually come to this subsection, plus the workings of the game won't be 100% in the topic, a lot of it will be PM. Guess i'll do some invitations after all. That and this topic has paticularly low views, so it's getting ignored for some reason..

---

Guess i'll toss out how this is going to work.

Foremost, the key rule is never reveal your role to anyone. Only the Mafia know who each other are, and within that group they only know who the Boss is. (That said, the Boss is merely a spokesperson in that they PM me the mafia majority's decision) Revealing your role will be considered suicide and you'll be eliminated. The same goes for revealing another player's role, you will be eliminated and if I see fit i'll assign the spoiled player a new role.

First i'll take stock of all participants, and dish out roles/affiliations. I'm hoping for a 3:1 townsfolk to mafia ratio, but we'll have to see. The game will alternate between two phases - day and night. The game begins by me PMing you with your role and affiliation, and it starts in the Night phase - during the Night phase, the mafia get to talk amongst themselves (in PM or via some other non-public arrangement where the townsfolk wont see it) about who they're going to kill that night, as well as other strategy if they see fit - when a majority decision has been reached, the Mafia Boss will PM me the agreed result. The murder victim will be eliminated from the game, and their role/affiliation revealed to all. Bear in mind from this, it is quite easy for you to be eliminated right at the outset of the game if the mafia wills it. I'm considering alterations of this occurance, so if you have any thoughts then do share them. It wouldn't be any fun to get taken down before you can even blink.

The game then shifts to the day phase - the townsfolk wake up and discover there's been a murder. In the main game thread, all players deliberate over who they're going to lynch. Accusations can be made if you want, but keep it civil. Also bear in mind you're not allowed to reveal another player's role directly if you have somehow come across knowledge of it, instead just play within the boundaries of the game with the knowledge you have. Look for patterns in others's votes and point them out to your fellows. (Note that I won't be making the main game topic a poll - it would be open for non-participants to dink about with which IMO would invalidate it) Once a majority decision has been reached, the player gets lynched by the townsfolk and hanged - they are eliminated and their role/affiliation will be revealed. Then the game returns to the night phase where the mafia will strike again.

This continues back and forth until one of two things has happened -
1) All mafia members are dead (Townsfolk victory)
2) The number of mafia left is equal to or greater than the number of townsfolk left (Mafia victory)

There will be other player-driven occurances going on behind the scenes due to roles. Multiple deaths may occur in one night depending on what happened, or the mafia may fail to kill for one reason or another. However, a lynching will ALWAYS happen and is unavoidable. The mafia may on a rare chance fail to kill, but lynchings cannot be avoided for whatever reason.

Things i'm not decided on thus far:
1) Should I allow the mafia to decide they don't want to kill for the night? (IE allowing them to kill every other night if they choose to in order to prevent an indefinate stall of the game)
2) Should I have an NPC death (ie Town Mayor, a beloved local persona) as the first night's mafia murder in order to allow all players to have a say in the first lynch vote?

Posting potential roles in the following post..
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 08:27:50 am by Luminar »

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 09:37:14 am »
If it'll work, it'd be fun.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 09:50:01 am »
EDIT: Hold the phone a minute! Just found this:
http://mikeburnfire.sitesled.com/mscumB.swf

We can pick and choose what we want from that.

Hokay. Revised role set:
---

MAFIA ROLES

THE BOSS
The Boss is the leader of the Mafia. Each night they will PM me with the majority vote for who is to be murdered along with which mafia member is going to commit the murder. Be aware though.. if you abuse your power, the other mafia members can individually PM me announcing their decision to overthrow the Boss, and if the decision is unanimous you will be the murder victim for the night. At the very beginning of the game, The Boss will also PM me with a name of a fellow mafia member - in the event of The Boss's death, that member will take over as the new Boss. Consider it to be like naming their heir. In addition, due to the mafia's connections, investigations on The Boss will always make him appear innocent.

BURGLAR
Burglars have the power to take away another player's role power permanently. They can only do this once in the game however - when they want to do it, they PM me the name of the intended victim at any time. During the next night phase, the player will be burgled and their role power taken away for the rest of the game. This will not be publicly announced, nor will the victim learn the identity of the burglar - they will simply be informed that they have been robbed of their power.

SPY
The Spy is able to.. well, spy on other players and learn info about them. Once per night, a spy can PM me the name of the player they want to spy on - during the night, they will learn that player's role. They are able to reveal it to the other mafia members, but NOT to the general public.

TRAITOR
Every family has it's bad eggs. The Traitor exists to hinder the Mafia from within in any way they can. Every other night, the traitor can PM me the name of someone they wish to inform of the mafia's activities. The recipient will be informed of the identity of the Mafia Boss. This role is still vulnerable to other roles, however.. it only takes one amateur taxi driver to misdirect the message to another mafia member. If the Mafia find out who the traitor is, they can (and probably should) elect to kill them for the night's murder.

HEAVY
The Heavy is a goon whose skills lie in intimidation. The Heavy can use his power twice per game - the Heavy can PM me the name of someone they want to intimidate that night. The victim will have all powers blocked for that night. The Heavy can use both of his uses on two people in the same night, or use them individually whenever they please.

TOWNSFOLK ROLES

PRIEST
It helps to have friends in high places. The Priest can bestow a blessing on another player once per day - this blessing will cause the mafia to fail in their killing attempt should they nominate the blessed for murder. It will not protect from lynchings. When the priest wants to use this power, they PM me with the name of the intended recipient - the blessing will be applied after the next lynching, but it is only good for one night. The priest can continually protect one player or choose a different player each night. The blessed will not be informed of either the blessing taking place or any failed murder attempts.

COWARD
Some say bravery is the same thing as stupidity. The coward would certainly agree - three times per game (maybe more if a large game) the coward can decide to hide under the bed. Anything that will have happened to the coward that night, be it mafia murder or otherwise, will not take effect. This will not protect from lynchings, however. Whenever the coward wants to use this power, they simply PM me. It will take effect after the next lynching and last the night. The coward can only do this a limited amount of times however, out of a wounded sense of pride.

VIGILANTE
Taking the law into your own hands can be risky business. The Vigilante is the only player capable of killing in their own right. A (very) limited amount of times per game, the Vigilante can decide to kill someone. They PM me with the name of someone they want to kill, and come the next night it will be done. Typically they want to take down mafia members, but the decision is up to them. The role of the murdered player will be revealed the next night along with the player murdered by the mafia - if the mafia and vigilante decide to kill the same person, the mafia get there first and the vigilante's power is not used up - they can go for someone else instead the next night. In the town's findings the next day, a vigilante's killing will be identified as not being the mafia's doing, but the responsible party will not be revealed.

COP
The Cop is a master sleuth and can investigate other players to find out information about them. Once a night, they can PM me the name of a player they wish to gather information on - consecutive nights will reveal more information.
1st Night - Their activities on that night will be shown. Who interacted with the player, who the player themselves interacted with.
2nd Night - Their role will be revealed, and with it their affiliation. Again, activities will be reported.
3rd Night - All past activities will be discovered.
Unlike all other roles, the Cop is actually allowed to publically reveal another player's affiliation (but NOT their role). This is very likely to get the cop killed by the mafia in short order, however - there's no other way they could find out another player's affiliation except by being a cop. And there's no telling how many cops the townsfolk have on their side - it might be a vain sacrifice for the only cop in town to reveal himself.

ROOKIE COP
The key difference between the Cop and the Rookie Cop is that the Cop is actually competent - the Rookie Cop only THINKS he is. At the beginning of the game this player will be led to believe they are a genuine cop. However, any investigations will return information that couldn't be more wrong. Investigated innocents will show up as being mafia and vice versa. Elsewise they work like a regular cop, including the ability to step out in order to point out another player. Note that a Rookie Cop may eventually realise that they are a rookie with careful analysis of their results - if they find definitive proof that they are and PM me with the proof, they will be promoted to the position of regular Cop. Genuine cops need to tread wisely though - if they accidentally make a false claim of being a rookie cop and PM erroneous proof, they will be fired, stripping them of their cop powers.

SUPERHERO
This is the guy the townsfolk REALLY don't want to see on the gallows. Throughout the entire game, the Superhero will be immune to murder attempts by Mafia, Vigilantes, or the Murderer. The only way to kill him is via lynches.

AMATEUR TAXI DRIVER
The Amateur Taxi Driver isn't very good at his job, but he tries his best. Once per day, the Taxi Driver can PM me two names of players. The next night, anything that would happen to these two players is reversed. If the mafia decide to kill Guy #1 and the taxi driver has switched him, Guy #2 will die instead. As you can imagine, this can cause complete and total chaos for both sides, possibly resulting in mafia killing themselves, blessings being switched around or removed, vigilante murders being misdirected, and so forth.

LUNATIC
The Lunatic is known for being completley unhinged. His house is armed to the teeth with traps. If he is killed at night, the one responsible for the murder also dies.

MURDERER
The Murderer is a third faction unto himself. He is out to kill EVERYONE, mafia and townsfolk alike. Every other night, the Murderer gets to kill someone, anyone they please. The Murderer is unique in that if the Mafia or Townsfolk win, the Murderer loses. The Murderer has to kill absolutley everyone in the game. Both the Townsfolk and Mafia alike would be well advised to sniff out this guy and bump him off in short order.

MAD SCIENTIST
A bit of a weirdo, the Mad Scientist is known to abduct the townsfolk to perform experiments on them. Every other night, the Mad Scientist can PM me the name of someone they want to abduct to perform experiments on. The person will then have their role screwed up that night:
BOSS - The Boss will appear Guilty if investigated that night. He will also be revealed as the boss to any investigators.
BURGLAR - The Burglar's power of theft will be stolen by their target if they use their power that night.
SPY - Any information gathered by the Spy that night will be wrong.
TRAITOR - If the Traitor uses his power that night, his identity will be revealed to all mafia members.
HEAVY - Heavies will be unable to use their power that night.
PRIEST - The priest will end up killing anyon they try to bless.
COWARD - If the coward tries to hide that night, they will become the Mafia victim irregardless of who actually was.
VIGILANTE - The Vigilante will end up blessing whoever they tried to kill.
COP - Any information gathered by the Cop that night will be wrong.
ROOKIE COP - Any information gathered by the Rookie Cop that night will be correct.
SUPERHERO - If the Mad Scientist ever uses their power on a Superhero, the hero will end up destroy their lab, stripping the Mad Scientist of their power for the rest of the game. The Superhero and Mad Scientist will also be informed of what transpired, learning each other's identities.
AMATEUR TAXI DRIVER - The Taxi Driver's power will be useless that night.
LUNATIC - If the Lunatic is NOT targeted by anyone that night (not neccecarily for murder), they die.
MURDERER - If the Mad Scientist targets the Murderer, the Mad Scientist dies instantly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 08:14:38 am by Luminar »

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 12:52:47 pm »
This sounds brilliant.....altough I've seen a few previosu attempts. Can I sign up?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 12:58:16 pm »
Confirmation. I'm in.
Not a winner anymore.

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 01:13:03 pm »
I'll invite some others.

EDIT - I invited Malt through Huckbuck!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2007, 01:22:10 pm by Alwayswatching »
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 01:38:21 pm »
Ookay, I guess I'll give this a shot...

I hope I don't give anything away...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline p-luke

• Joust Warrior
  • The Atheist God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 02:02:24 pm »
yay, something to squell the boredom. I'm in for sure. :)

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 03:36:47 pm »
Looks quite interesting, I think I'll join in.
Virus Buster.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 03:41:43 pm »
Im in.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline Malt