Author Topic: News for your Blues  (Read 253589 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
News for your Blues
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:02:54 pm »
DISCLAIMER: THIS TOPIC POTENTIALLY DEALS WITH CONTROVERSIAL AND OR SICKENING SUBJECT MATERIAL, AND THEREFORE THE READER IS ADVISED THAT SIDE EFFECTS MAY INCLUDE INFURIATION, SADNESS, ANGST, LOSS OF FAITH IN HUMANITY, DAMPENING OF MOOD, AND OTHER ASSORTED NEGATIVE SIDE EFFECTS. IF YOU DO NOT WANT, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CLICK THIS LINK.

Ok, I might be towing the line a bit with this one, but I keep seeing news everywhere that just sickens the almighty living **** out of me. I know we've technically got the Bizarre News Thread, but I figure that's more for trippy weird stories than anything else. So I present you with this topic, a carnival of woe and misery for us all to revel in and seethe at how stupid the rest of this damn race is. To start:

Girl drugged to death by her parents

Inside we have the story of a young girl whose parents basically stuffed a ridiculous amount of drugs down her yap to keep her from bothering them in any way. What more can be said? Why the hell did these two sadistic monsters even have a kid in the first place if they were so concerned about her being a nuisance? I mean hell, that's practically what kids are for. They're just having fun and stuff, that's what kids DO. It's natural that they're going to generally be noisy and playful, and i'd imagine most parents just turn a blind eye to personal irritation since their kid is happy, and by proxy that makes them happy.

This also brings up the issue in my mind.. personally I think any drug treatment should be eyed with suspicion, ESPECIALLY where children or adolescents are involved. It seems these days too many parents are looking too hard for syndromes, diseases, conditions and the like, and since they're activley looking, part of their subconcious clicks and WANTS to find something, so suddenly out of nowhere, HORRORS! Little Timmy has bipolar disorder! And of course, being the busy parents and all that crap, the only solution is clearly to stuff a bunch of drugs in them. This culture of just.. slamming pills in our kids mouth if they step out of line is beginning to worry me somewhat. (I guess it doesnt help that on a personal level it disturbs me that chemically saturated bits of chalk can essentially change personalities..)

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
Re: News for your Blues
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:56:28 pm »
1. What is the world coming to! Lazy ass parents killed an innocent child, THEIR child.

2. My friend who I've known since I was 6 is one of those kids that gets Ritalin or whatever shoved down his throat because his parents suck. He's a perfectly good kid, can get a little hyper at times, but other than that he's perfectly normal. He's super funny and intelligent when he's off the meds, but when he has to take them it all just turns off. I mean, he's like a zombie(Like in that South Park episode). I honestly don't believe in ADD or any of the other things, or atleast that it's so common.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 09:10:38 pm by LadyM »
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 09:31:39 pm »
ADD is almost definitely not an actual disorder (I say almost because there might be an extremely small portion of the people being treated who actually need the Ritalin.  Unlikely in my opinion, but possible).

In a similar vein, is it just me or have peanut allergies been on an unexplained increase over the last decade or so.  When I was in first grade, there were almost no peanut allergies at my school, and none of them were very bad.  Three years later there were enough to warrant their own table where you couldn't eat a peanut butter cracker because it might send the entire table into fits.  Now you can't bring peanuts on the bus or to school period.  I am by no means suggesting that these allergies are being faked or anything like that, it just seems odd that a single type of allergy would suddenly begin affecting so many people and get progressively worse.  Any thoughts on a possible cause, or am I just paranoid?
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 09:44:18 pm »
2. My friend who I've known since I was 6 is one of those kids that gets Ritalin or whatever shoved down his throat because his parents suck. He's a perfectly good kid, can get a little hyper at times, but other than that he's perfectly normal. He's super funny and intelligent when he's off the meds, but when he has to take them it all just turns off. I mean, he's like a zombie(Like in that South Park episode). I honestly don't believe in ADD or any of the other things, or atleast that it's so common.

Exactly what i'm saying - they're looking for disorder and illness in the wrong places. What is actually imagination suddenly becomes dementia. What is enthusiasm and energy becomes hyperactivity. We're basically nulling the passion and creativity out of our young'uns. Possibly goes hand in hand with this dumbass conformity culture, and the dumbass conformity-avoiding culture.

Offline Danger Mouse

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 11:02:36 pm »
That is one very sad story :'(

How do they solve these sort of things? By changing their diets, I blame the high amount of chemical additives in our foods. Pills arent the answer :( and you are right, people dont often realise kids are naturally boisterous, they are noisy and energetic, they shouldnt be quieted down or tranquilised with pills.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:28:22 am by Danger Mouse »
Good Grief!

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 11:12:59 pm »
**** that really pisses me off, who takes their own daughters life, and at that age it's even worse, she'd only started her life.

I have ADHD (supposedly), I was on Ritalin for a while and I was like a Robot/Zombie...or a Robot-Zombie, I was sad all the time because nothing was fun or funny. My mum got really upset that I wasn't enjoying myself and took it off me. That's the exact opposite of what these parents did.

Why the hell would the pharmacy keep giving them stuff, I'd ask to see the girl first.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 04:48:04 am »
This raises more disturbing issues, including the trend of simply medicating a child rather than working out whats wrong with them and trying to find alternative treatments
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 01:54:05 pm »
I think out of all the article, this is the one part that enrages me the most:

Williams told police that the night before she died, Rebecca was pale and seemed "out of it." At one point, the little girl knocked weakly on her parents' bedroom door and softly called for her mommy, but Michael Riley opened the door a crack and yelled at her to go back to her room, Williams said.

Not content with drugging her up to the eyeballs to shut her up, it seems if she stepped out of line even slightly they instantly resorted to shouting at her. Christ, this stuff makes me all the more eager for prospective parents to have to pass a test first.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:04:45 pm »
Going from how her parents where with her in life I'd say she was just attention starved rather than suffering from any real mental illness, but rather than bothering to take more than a glance at her family background the doctors just prescribed her a bunch of pills. It's cases like this that really piss me off, here in the UK there was the case of Victoria Climbie while not similar on the surface, in both cases various institutions which where tasked with ensuring the child’s welfare neglected their duties and from this a child died from neglect. All because someone didn't do their f***ing job.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline russellmania4

• Tempest Top Dog
  • i r from teh spores
    • View Profile
    • Yummy Goode
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 01:57:38 pm »
[bland post] I think parents who do that are mean. [/bland post]

But Luminar, thanks for posting that news story. I just realized today that I had a persuasive essay due, and I hadn't done it! I was able to do it at lunch, but I used this story as my theme. Thanks!
You killed Harry Potter  >:( !!!!!
Yes. Yes I did.

gec05

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 02:27:23 pm »
Disturbing? yes... Am I suprised? No... :(

That's what I come to expect when the world is coming to an end. Where have you people been? :)

Offline Flamester_

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Bread Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 08:58:09 am »
wow :/

I have ADHD and i am extremely glad i never took any ritalin.
Quote from: Mr. Wizard
Flamester is truly a god among us.

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 03:13:31 pm »
wow :/

I have ADHD and i am extremely glad i never took any ritalin.

It has speed in it :o :-\ it screws up your perception, the room seems longer but not wider ???
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:38:58 pm by sltlamina »

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 03:25:03 pm »
Actually it is a chemical similar to speed (amphetamines) not a composit of other drugs

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 09:42:57 am »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/6498641.stm

What annoys the hell out of me here is that this is far, very very far from a rare occurance over there. It's quite widespread in those parts of the world where if the woman doesn't respond well to the suitor they just go and permanently disfigure them with an easily available cup of acid, and bam, that's it. Stalker gets away with a couple years in jail if that, woman pretty much unable to get a job or find anyone willing to talk to them due to their appearance, not to mention the medical issues. Pretty much another display of base human barbarism in that women MUST respond to these idiots otherwise they're supposedly not good for anything else (note: NOT my opinion) and the stalker will try to make it as true as possible by means of disfiguring violence.

---

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17832494/wid/11915829?GT1=9145

THIS is just ridiculous. If an adult did this it'd be pedophilia, and the kids doing it are basically providing nude pics of their girlfriends or whatever all over the place? Ugh. Disgusting.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 09:59:59 pm by Luminar »