Poll

Should a new forum section be created to house all these forum-based games? (Sim houses, etc)

Do it
Don't do it

Author Topic: New Subsection: Forum Meta-Gaming  (Read 14152 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: New Subsection: Forum Meta-Gaming
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 06:14:44 pm »
I'll borrow from my old GSRC proposals and see what happens.

So we move the RPs to their own forum. I think there should be a partition between the Spore RPs and the "Normal" RPs because they operate differently and posting habits and different as well. We need to know how SMF handles subdivisions of subforums. I'm talking the kind that appear when you click on a subforum. Let's say you click our new forum, you would see two options that are not on the main page: "Spore RPs" and "Other RPs". Using this method you could further divide the forum without cluttering the main page with options.
I know most providers offer something like this so I don't see why SMF wouldn't have it.

The Sims games and whatnot are all moved into the main "Projects" area and can be played to their heart's content.

A "Proposal and Planning" topic could be made (And stikied) in each respective area for people to promote their ideas. We have something like this already in place over at Forum Games for our RPs and have gotten an RP going via this method.

Forum Games would be stripped of it's posts counting toward the sum total of a member's post count.

That all seems fairly simple... what would you all like to add or suggest? I can write up a proposal for Steve about this... I offer to do it because I've done it a lot in the past and people seemed okay with it.

gec05

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 06:20:57 pm »
A forum bug report & suggestion sticky would be good for starters.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 06:24:41 pm »
Oh you should be posting those things up in site news or sending the Mods or Steve a message.

Actually this topic should be up there too... <_<

Perhaps that should be made clear though.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2007, 07:42:33 pm »
Sorry if the Sim House is annoying people by spawning other projects. It's not like the PC game section was full of life anyway but now that things are happening, people are complaining.

If you got Steve to make a new forum it would probably need to include the RP's both Spore and the others. It could be a storytelling, RP type forum. I also think comics should go there.

He's not going to disable the forum games post count, he already said that earlier. If there is really a desire for this I can also make a suggestion to Steve and a link to this thread. Patman can also send his proposal. It doesn't hurt to ask but the answer could be no.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2007, 07:47:45 pm »
He seems to say no to many things... is it because he really thinks the ideas are bad or is it because he is just too lazy to actually do it?

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 07:49:14 pm »
I'm still going with that lego thing, btw!  I'm working on the new episode...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 07:51:19 pm »
I don't think it's because the ideas are bad, I think he just knows how he wants his forum to be set up and it doesn't fit with his idea. He keeps things fairly simple but he is always open to suggestions. He may not do them but he'll listen.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 07:54:44 pm »
I think there should be. What's wrong with more sections anywho?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 08:03:07 pm »
Well too many options turns people off when they look at a forum, it's the same thing that happened when you put all of the choices in the Sim Caveman poll. That's why I suggested the subsections of the subforums because it adds special dedicated areas without cluttering the main page.

Anyway, he listens to you (LadyM) and Ovi more than he listens to me or anyone else so slap him upside the head and tell him to change his view of how the forum should be because it's evolved since it's creation.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2007, 08:12:45 pm »
He seems to say no to many things... is it because he really thinks the ideas are bad or is it because he is just too lazy to actually do it?

Wouldn't say lazy so much as busy, and I rarely say that of anyone, since as far as i've seen it's rarely the case. Does seem legit with steve though since this forum and basically the entire site are more or less a hobby or portfolio to support his career - us on the forum are just freeloaders riding his bandwagon, essentially.

I think there should be. What's wrong with more sections anywho?

Only thing I can think of is maybe it'd take more bandwidth, and i'm not certain about that.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2007, 08:15:25 pm »
Perhaps I'm just miffed because my own past experiences have been met with no answer and no action, save for two times.

Offline LadyM

• View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 09:07:21 pm »
Perhaps I'm just miffed because my own past experiences have been met with no answer and no action, save for two times.

Don't be miffed, we don't always get answers either. I will ask though, I can at least do that.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 09:16:26 pm »
MALT'S PROPOSAL(For reals this time!):

I suggest two new main boards, Community Projects and Community Roleplay. They could be put in Ubergeekdom or Random Encounters. This would keep the main page uncluttered, but at the same time allow for some of the senior boards(PC Games, Spore: CC, Forum Games) to go back to their main purpose.

Community Projects would encompass Sim Houses(and their like) and any other thing that the people come up with. I would say that this forum wouldn't die out, mainly because an entire forum would draw attention from people who wouldn't normally venture into PC games(It's much more enticing to bake a pie when you have a recipe book in front of you).

Community Roleplay would obviously have roleplay. No, it would NOT have a subdivision for Spore and Traditional RP. Optimally, there would be 2 stickies at the top. A General Rules of RP board(How to RP, what not to do, differences between Spore and Trad RP) and a Roleplay Idea topic(similar to the one in Forum Gamers now). In the Rules topic, and possibly in an announcement type thing above the board(If that's possible in SMF), would be a little reminder to put |Spore|, |Trad|, or |OOC| next to their threads.

I also suggest turning Books into Literature, because there are Comics, short stories, etc.

Yeah, Malt was seriously just being constructive.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 09:19:40 pm »

I suggest two new main boards, Community Projects and Community Roleplay. They could be put in Ubergeekdom or Random Encounters. This would keep the main page uncluttered, but at the same time allow for some of the senior boards(PC Games, Spore: CC, Forum Games) to go back to their main purpose.

Community Projects would encompass Sim Houses(and their like) and any other thing that the people come up with. I would say that this forum wouldn't die out, mainly because an entire forum would draw attention from people who wouldn't normally venture into PC games(It's much more enticing to bake a pie when you have a recipe book in front of you).

Community Roleplay would obviously have roleplay. No, it would NOT have a subdivision for Spore and Traditional RP. Optimally, there would be 2 stickies at the top. A General Rules of RP board(How to RP, what not to do, differences between Spore and Trad RP) and a Roleplay Idea topic(similar to the one in Forum Gamers now). In the Rules topic, and possibly in an announcement type thing above the board(If that's possible in SMF), would be a little reminder to put |Spore|, |Trad|, or |OOC| next to their threads.

I also suggest turning Books into Literature, because there are Comics, short stories, etc.

Holy jesus. Yes. This. All of this. It's the perfect solution.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2007, 10:12:48 pm »

Holy jesus. Yes. This. All of this. It's the perfect solution.

QFT
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P