Author Topic: A Voice in the Void...  (Read 20221 times)

Offline Thargor

• Akalabeth Addict
  • Midnight Prowler
    • View Profile
Re: A Voice in the Void...
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2007, 11:11:03 am »
On Triumph

"Our best estimates give it anywhere from 5 to 50 years from now," said Fur'Nack'Thrown. "We believe it to be in our best interests to try to stop them before it completely breaks free from the dialation field."

High General Hi'Tick'Call nodded. "Yes, shortly before they were to break free I was going to lead several fleets into the field to try to combat them and push them back... But at this moment we do not have many time dialation devices to counteract the effect of the planet's field."

Fur'Nack'Thrown whispered to Axon, "I am surprised the General is so willing to help you... I would take this opportunity to get as many of his soldiers or equipment as possible for this mission. I am not a soldier, but I am still willing to go in with you, so at the very least you have me at your side."

High General Hi'Tick'Call looked at the two blankly. "We can continue planning here or move on over to the Jang Vector Highship you'll be naming soon. I can have the personell teleported over there. The weapons are ready for incursion, it just needs its crew. I am sure such a fine Wexxian like yourself can give it a name that will not embarrass my troops. It's unlucky to leave without a name..."

Some of the irritation of the General escaped in his last few sentences...

OOC: Triumph's location is only known to the Jang at this moment and is hidden in Unreal space. You could head to Refuge with your concerns, I think this time they will spring into action with a second confirmation that the Catalyst is out.

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2007, 11:23:45 am »
Axon: “I’m ready to go.

General Hi'Tick'Call, get your ships assembled near the Catalyst dilatation field. If something goes wrong we need to hold them off until you can get reinforcements.

As for a name, how about; “The End of The Catalyst” or somthing like it!

Now, what are your ideas for defeating this menace?”

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2007, 12:03:13 pm »
On the home moon Tal, in the transmission headquarters.

Transmission Gortus Yuok: "First Gortus, come take a look at this!"

First Gortus Trantk: "What in the name of the stars...."

A transmission was appearing on the screen, over and over. Help. Help. Help. Save us. Save us.

Transmission Gortus Yuok: "You don't even want to hear the audio. Trust me."

First Gortus Trantk: "Well send help immediately. We don't know what the problem is, so send a medium cruiser, something strong. For all we know a war could have just begun."

Transmission Gortus Yuok: "Yes, First Gortus."

A large ship broke off clamps with a space station orbiting Tal, and began to move into space.

Aboard the cruiser Grof...

Armadar (Just above Captain, below Admiral) Shal: "Crank up that improved hyperdrive from our allies shipman. I believe it's time to do a field test."

Shipman Djo: "Yes, Armadar."

The back of the ship blow blindingly for a moment, then it vanished into hyperspace.

Moments later it emerged near the location of the transmission.

Armadar Shal: "Amazing...that was purely...wait....what's that?"

A small metallic form was moving outside the command center glass plane.

Armadar Shal: "Back us off, shipman. Nice and easy."

Shipman Djo: "Uh..Armadar, it's following."

Armadar Shal: "Then use the hyperdrive!"

Shipman Djo: "Yes, Armadar. Wait...it's moving towards u..!

Online Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2007, 02:07:49 pm »
The Has'ri had barely any weapons to fight a normal race, let alone an ancient evil, trapped beneath a dead palnet. The new Skimmers didn't have any weapons, and they knew of no way to transfer the laser absorbtion. So the scientists were hard at work, finding new weapons. Most of them were flops. They had 3 main divisions. One team worked on Beam Weapon, but the laser's they created were weak. Mass Drivers advanced a lot in the handheld weaponry field, but nothing for space. And Missiles couldn't come up with the targeting situation salution.

But after weeks of trial, Beam Theory found a soloution. Using crystals made by the underwater pressure on Sapphire, a ruby-shot beam would refract as much to cause some damage, if minimal.

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2007, 02:11:58 pm »
K'aea came upon the Catalyst.  What are you? he asked in an authorative voice.  You aren't the false God, you appear to be more powerfull.  Please refrain from destroying organics!. K'aea waited for a reply, sitting patienly within the fragile vortex of air.
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2007, 02:42:06 pm »
Axon: “Now I know… something simple… “Victory” that’s a good name!”

Online Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2007, 03:30:32 am »
Recent times had been bad for the Has'ri. Not as bad as he Fury Plagues, but still pretty bad. An ancient evil had been found, it's jailor's were uncaring toward them, they possibly have led more to their deaths and know they had to send delegates to a wormhole. Gabriel had no idea what to do. He was no politician. He was a fighter. Hopefully, the delegation would reach the Wormhole soon, and the new Alliance of Honor would help fix the problem. But until then, he had a prickling feeling that the Catalyst knew where the were, and was coming to get them.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2007, 01:21:49 pm »
[cough]bump[/cough]

No, don't get in a habit of doing that. Post because you have something to say.

Offline Brandonazz

• Everything ends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2007, 01:52:53 pm »
Nothing more can be said until Kcronos makes a move...

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2007, 02:00:06 pm »
LadyM is right Brandonazz, you should not bump… much!  ;)

Thargor has not been on in a long time, perhaps we should just write a conclusion.

Has you guys any agreements with him on how we where going to end this? Cause the stuff he discussed with me involved a important plot for the “final” death of my greatest hero Axon.

I would like to hear what you people think… should we wait for Thargor, or should we agree on an epilogue?

Offline Brandonazz

• Everything ends.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2007, 02:02:06 pm »
I don't think enough has happened, at least from my perspective, for this to end yet.  :-\

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2007, 02:04:46 pm »
How about the main characters all sacrifice themselfs to finally completely destroy the Catalyst?
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2007, 02:36:20 pm »
When Thargor contacted me, he described his ideas about defeating the Catalyst, like this:

It is Fur'Nack's plan that a Wexxian might manage what a Jang never could do  : Communicate with the Catalyst and try to stop them from the inside out by finding out why they have such a need to destroy all life. Fur believes that the good nature of the Wexxians are just the thing that might counter the Catalyst.

I agreed to bring my character Axon into the storyline… most of you I think, weren’t here when I introduced him to the fanfic universe, but he is one of the long standing heroes on the forum.

I wont go “too” in deep, but it was time for him to go out in a BLAZE OF GLORY!!!

Dying, combating a species of insane homicidal, half-ascended robots, seemed to be the ultimate ending to a long life of war… so I accepted!

Thargor’s idea was described further in his next message to me:

Well, the ideas that Fur'Nack'Thrown will try to use are pretty much:

1. Axon managing to reason with it on its own level

2. Convincing it to adopt the more pacifist Wexxian moral code as opposed to the Catalyst "destroy alien life wherever it exists".

3. Failing the past two have the Catalyst try to subsume Axon himself and have Axon's growing virus prove to be their undoing. Thus his own weakness becomes his greatest strength and moment of glory before death.

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head.

I replied with some ideas of my own:

Well Axon will be brought to the Jang and they will tell him of the Catalyst threat. Axon is Wexxian so he cannot take sides without meeting the Catalyst first.

He goes into the temporal distortion field and communicates with the Catalyst entity. At firs the catalyst does not harm him as he is not “living” in their way of thinking.

He learns of their intentions and decide to stop them. It can happen in many ways:

6.   reasoning with them (Fat chance)
7.   Trying to kill every one of them single-handedly. (It would never work but could be a cool way to start!)
8.   Rewriting their base code to make them friendly. (Boring, lets blow stuff up in stead!)
9.   Axons virus will kill the catalyst.
10.   The Catalyst manages to restrain Axon, and tries to consume him. Axon interfaces himself with their hive mind and transfers his base code “Protect life and Freedom” to him. The result is a violent explosion as the Catalyst and Wexxian base codes nullifies each other and the circuits of the catalyst fry. (My favourite; a little matrix like!)

I also (As a joke) wrote a little piece to describe some of the RP storyline I was thinking of putting in when we got there:

Axons meet with the hive mind:

Catalyst: (Big ominous voice) “What are you?”

Axon: (Standing surrounded by Catalysts) “I am Axon!”

C: “You are not important! You don’t concern us!”

A: “What do you want, what are your intentions?”

C: “All alien life must be destroyed, you are not life, you are not Catalyst, you are unimportant. Catalyst will destroy all life!”

A: “No…”

C: “What?”

A: “I will not let you do that!”

C: “What do you mean?”

A: “I am going to stop you!”

A dark laughter is heard from the Catalysts surrounding Axon.

C: “YOU? You will never stop Catalyst!”

The Catalysts around Axon move closer.

Axon pulls out A pulse rifle and a Ion-blade.

A: “Watch me!”

This is what Thargor and I talked about.

Do you have something you Like/don’t like/want changed or added? 

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2007, 07:43:28 pm »
I seem that nobody are going to comment on my suggestions, so I am just going to end it for Axons part of the story.

Epilogue:

Axon knew that he could not judge the Catalyst based on the information that the Jang had given him. In the old days, he would have rushed to exterminate them as long as the pay was good, but he was older now… more calm, more responsible. Axon could not just destroy the Catalyst without knowing more than one side of the story… besides, he had no idea HOW he could stop them.

Without any other solutions to his dilemma, Axon where forced to do something he was not good at… diplomacy.

He instructed the Jang to contact the other Wexxians if he was unsuccessful in reasoning with the Catalyst, and then took a pod into the Catalyst time-dilation field.

Axon landed on the old Jang homeworld; when he crawled out of the pod, he found himself surrounded by the Catalyst machines.

Catalyst: (Big ominous voice) “What are you?”

Axon: “I am Axon. I am here to talk to you!”

C: “Talk? Do not waste our time. Soon we will be free!”

A: “What do you want, what are your intentions?”

C: “Our function is to fulfil our purpose: All alien life must be destroyed! When we escape from this prison, we will destroy our captivators and then deal with any other life we find!”

A: “No…”

C: “What?”

A: “I will not let you do that!”

C: “What do you mean?”

A: “I am going to stop you!”

A dark laughter is heard from the Catalysts surrounding Axon.

C: “YOU? You will never stop us. There is nothing you can do, we will absorb you into our continence and you will become a part of us… soon your knowledge and skill will be used to crush the alien life forms, there is nothing anyone can do to stop us!”

The Catalysts around Axon move closer.

Axon pulled out a pulse rifle and an Ion-blade.

A: “I don’t think so!”

The first Catalysts jumped at Axon. With the grace of dancer, Axon dogged out of the way and swirled his Ion-blade into the backs. They fell down with a crash, but the next ones where already charging at Axon.

A: “Come on you wannabees, is that all you got?”

Evidently, it was not all… the Catalyst kept coming and even Axon had trouble fighting them off. Soon, Axon was standing on a small hill of dead Catalysts. All around him, in every direction, more Catalysts where approaching fast.

Axon knew that he could not fight this sea of machines.

A flood of the Catalyst troops encased Axon, he could not move, but he could hear the Catalyst voice again.

C: “You fool, it is unavoidable. You belong to us now!”

The Catalyst began connecting themselves to Axon, they would consume his programming. Axon began to feel how they slowly absorbed his being.

He had to do something, but what? Then Axon remembered something that Fur'Nack'Thrown the Jang had said…

“The good nature of the Wexxians may be the one thing that can defeat the Catalyst!”

That was not a bad idea… it was the only idea Axon could think off. His time was short and he was loosing his personality as the Catalyst absorbed more and more of him.

He opened up to the Catalyst and transferred his Base-Code.

{Transfer: To Catalyst Hive Mind: Wexxian Primary Base-Code: Protect Life And Freedom.}

{File: Wexxian Primary Base-Code. Received. Integrating programming.}

{Processing.}

{Integration Complete. WARNING: Conflicting Priorities. Program: (Catalyst Main Function: Destroy Alien Life forms.) Conflicts With Program: (Wexxian Primary Base-Code: Protect Life And Freedom.) Processing Problem: Calculating Solution.}

{1. Error Occurred. Location: Programming Matrix Section 1245-253. Reason: Priority Conflict. Status: Quarantined.}

{263. Error(s) Occurred. Location: Programming Matrix Section 0001-001 Through 7233-523. Reason: Priority Conflict. Status: Quarantined.}

{242457290412 Error(s) Occurred. Location: Programming Matrix Section 0001-001 Through 9999-999. Reason: Priority Conflict. Status: Quarantining: 0,00000001% Done.}

{System Overload In Progress. Reason: Priority Conflict, CPU-Use is: 100%., Multiple Errors.}

{Security Protocol: Shut Down Conflicting Programs: Catalyst Main Function, Wexxian Primary Base-Code.}

{Shutdown Failure. Reason: Error In Command Line. Emergency Shutdown Cannot Be Completed.}

{Danger: Overload. Systems Critical. Error. Danger: Overload. Systems Critical. Error. Danger: Overload. Systems Critical.}

{Danger. Danger. Danger. Danger. Danger. Danger.}

The Catalysts around Axon began shaking. The ones, who had grabbed him, jumped away as if they where in agony.

The circuits of every Catalyst in the Hivemind fried and they dropped where they stood.

All over the planet, massive explosions erupted, without the control of the Catalysts, their great weapons of destruction and death, failed.

Axon was not concerned about the Catalyst any longer, he knew that they where dying, he could feel the same thing happening to him. His programming had become infected by the Catalysts. He would not last long, he could feel the Catalyst spreading in him like a virus.

He could survive by switching off his Base-Code, as a Spec-Ops, he knew how to do it. But if he did, the Catalyst would survive… in him.

Axon suppressed the Catalyst with all of his might, and grabbed his Ion-Blade that lay on the ground.

Axon: “I won’t become like you, I will die as I was while I lived… as a Wexxian!”

With one smooth motion, he drove the Ionic blade through his chest. He fell to his knees… all around him there was bodies of the Catalyst littered.

There was a soundless crackle and the time dilation field lowered. For the first time in centuries, sunlight struck the ancient Jang homeworld.

When the Jang investigated, they found the lifeless body of Axon bathed in the soft warm glow of the sun, small plants where starting to grow on the Catalyst corpses.

The Catalyst had been destroyed… and the greatest Wexxian who had ever lived, had died.

The Jang named Fur'Nack'Thrown, delivered the body of Axon to the Wexxians, it did not please the other Jang that he broke their code of non-interference.

When the War one day will be over, the Wexxians will hold a burial to Axons memory. For now, they mourn, while rejoicing that he died a good death.

(OOC: That’s it, like it or don’t, but nobody gave me any input to change it.)

Online Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2007, 01:53:52 am »
(Well, the participents may as well clean up their part of the story as well)

After days of travel, the Shuttle came found the hollow planet. Delving deep inside it, the search party looked for the Eye of the Gods. They found it months later, almost fully intact, but no sign of the crew. They started it up, and maid their way to the Sentinel for repairs, and a skeleton crew to get home.