Author Topic: The Cement Garden!  (Read 3150 times)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
The Cement Garden!
« on: March 17, 2007, 03:50:26 pm »
Anyone read this? I read it for my english class and I have rarely been that... disturbed by a book.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
Re: The Cement Garden!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 04:56:51 pm »
I Googled it and yeah, it's a rather dark subject matter. It was made into a movie too. I'm surprised that your school English class allowed you to read this.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 03:26:40 am »
I actually wondered if they made it into a movie, it seems every book that has had even moderate success has to be made into a movie.

We have a lot of dark texts in my english class actually. One that really stands out is "The Stone Boy" where a kid accidentally shoots his brother and he is labeled as an emotionless person.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 10:46:33 am by Cool AN »

PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 07:37:28 am »
Heh. The worst we ever read was Lord of the Flies. Which isnt exactly a stroll in the park, but at least theres no incest.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 08:50:04 am »
I've read Lord of the Flies, it's an odd one too.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 10:03:47 am »
I just googled it too,

And I really wish I hadn't
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 10:45:23 am »
Heh. The worst we ever read was Lord of the Flies. Which isnt exactly a stroll in the park, but at least theres no incest.

I read Lord of the Flies a couple of years ago (again school though this was in Danish). Of course we started a hole project so we also watched BOTH of the movies and talked about it for hours etc. I don't understand why people love that book so much. It doesn't show anything and some of kids do some rather stupid things. I would go into more detail but I can't remember all that much of it besides the fact that I didn't like it and I thought some things were dumb.

I just googled it too,

And I really wish I hadn't

I wish I could go back in time and stop my teachers from giving me all these stupid texts about sex and violence. And drugs.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 10:51:38 am »
The old black and white film was inadvertantly hilarious. Especially when Piggy decides for no reason to tell all the little kids about how the town he lived in used to be called Cambridgetown but now its called Camberly.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 10:57:23 am »
The old black and white film was inadvertantly hilarious. Especially when Piggy decides for no reason to tell all the little kids about how the town he lived in used to be called Cambridgetown but now its called Camberly.

I found the giant foam rock killing piggy to be one of the movies highlights.

Also the Hollywood version is... americanized to the point where there really isn't all that much left of the original concept. The boys aren't from a boarding school, but a military academy and the movie isn't all that good to begin with. Like when the boys kill Simon (I think it is him) he is walking around with a freaking glowstick and clearly visible!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 11:02:50 am by Cool AN »