Author Topic: Is spore too cartoony?  (Read 27156 times)

Offline Slartibartfast

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
  • Do they speak English in What?
    • View Profile
Re: Is spore too cartoony?
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2007, 07:34:46 am »
the Tribal age battles (none showed so far but confirmed)
Here: Tribal Phase

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2007, 07:59:03 am »

Blood isn't so good for the common people methinks, 'cause in the GDC 2005 video the audience didn't respond positivally when the Willosaur killed the Hopper and when the UFO dropped the Spiderthing on the moon who exploded.

If I remember correctly, the crowd was laughing at the Spiderthing on the moon. Can't remember about the hopper thing though :P
Taking out the blood (if they have done so) would probably be for age restrictions really.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2007, 10:00:38 am »
Think you are right. Still a little blood doesn't care.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2007, 04:42:26 pm »
Funny how you can't show blood when a predator attacks and eats prey, a perfectly natural thing, but you can show a planet with a population in the millions if not billions being destoryed. 

Quote from: Professor Farnsworth
The Jedi are going to feel this one...
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 26, 2007, 04:52:24 pm »
If a kid ACCIDENTLY cuts him self with a craft knife , he's gonna see blood. Its part of life, deal with it!

Offline uj

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Let's roll!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2007, 06:23:57 pm »
If a kid cuts him self with a craft knife, he's gonna see blood. Its part of life, deal with it!

Er..cuting yourself with a knife is part of life?
My predictions for Spore.

1) No water creatures at initial release. I was right about this even when the fanboys were denying it.
2) No composite limbs at initial release. eg. Buttface; attaching a limb to a limb to... Update: Prediction was incorrect. Buttface is in!
3) Spore will outsell the Sims and be the best selling game of all time until something better comes along.

Offline Snake

• Choplifter Captain
  • Bow down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2007, 06:25:10 pm »
He meant seeing blood.
Please look at the Miala and their Wiki on the page.

Quote from: Gungnir
Blarg chicka blarg-blarg

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 26, 2007, 06:31:49 pm »
He probably meant on accident, but it's just like scraping your knee or getting beat up by that puberty deformed monster at school.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2007, 10:21:21 am »
You guys are totally right, if they will never see blood, and they see it later (yes, they will eventually) they will be shocked. It's good to view some blood in games. Blood is a sort of sign of needing help, they need to see it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 10:22:57 am by The_Kev »
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2007, 02:07:16 pm »
What does not kill you, makes you stronger ;)

Offline Cow

• Track and Field Jock
  • Rad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2007, 02:09:42 pm »
Are you saying when I broke my leg I got stonger? Reeeaaaly.

Actually whe will broke his arm he got a mega arm powerup!

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2007, 02:32:42 pm »
Actually, yes.  The mended portion is stronger than the rest of the bone.

But back to the what doesn't kill me part...  Say that after you've had a stroke or chemo.
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2007, 02:37:14 pm »
I think the reason it is cartoony is because they aren't wizards, and cannot despite all programming efforts design a creature that moves realistically.  It is because people have assumptions about what a certain creature is supposed to move like, and if a 7 year old makes a realistic pony, and it moves like a dog or a camel, they will cry...

I for one like it for its concept.  They tried their hardest, and now they have to integrate that into a game...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2007, 02:51:52 pm »
I think the reason it is cartoony is because they aren't wizards, and cannot despite all programming efforts design a creature that moves realistically.  It is because people have assumptions about what a certain creature is supposed to move like, and if a 7 year old makes a realistic pony, and it moves like a dog or a camel, they will cry...

I for one like it for its concept.  They tried their hardest, and now they have to integrate that into a game...

That was what Ocean said in the SXSW video, I believe.  They were able to make a realistic looking dog, but it wouldn't move like a dog.  He said it was very disturbing and would make children cry.  So he and Will (the realistic guys) were forced to go to the cartoony camp (the others).  Just what this means, I don't know...  Does it mean you can no longer make a realistic dog?

Offline spore

• Microvision Master
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2007, 03:45:12 pm »
What I think will is getting at is, because the animation is procedurally created. Creating realistic four legged animals walking realistically would have meant investing in time and energy into finding a  procedural animation for four legged earth creatures like dogs and horses, so to obvious thing to do was to go with the procedural animation cycles they have and make them believable i.e. Cartoon like.