Author Topic: Is spore too cartoony?  (Read 27560 times)

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
Re: Is spore too cartoony?
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2008, 07:44:32 am »
well yeas, but waht I'm saying is that, if everyone starts expecting "realistic" spore,  Then you need an uber pc :)

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 18, 2008, 08:50:33 am »
WW has said a ton of times the specs will be near-Sims 2 requirements.
He didn't ever say anything like that!
So stop saying quotations from him  that he didn't say.
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline econundrum

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2008, 09:24:21 am »
To be honest I’m not sure where this is coming from, spore has always been cartoon like in style. Look at the sort of colour palette and creatures in the early videos in one of the early interviews they talk about creating and automatically animating creatures in spore that would take Pixar (the cartoon computer animation people), months.

Yes the background in the creature editor has been given a cartoon look in keeping with the rest of the game and the microbe stage has certainly been made a little more cartoon like, other than that the style has never changed.

Also is realistic spore possible at the moment? Do the creature animations only really work with a cartoon like style? If the graphics looked photo realistic would we start thinking the movement wasn’t realistic enough. After all some of the creatures you can create in spore would have to bend the laws of both physics and natural selection to exist in the real world.

Also if your going to make the creatures look realistic better give the planets a realistic scale and population…..oops now your computer can’t model even one planet because of lack of memory,  processing power and storage.

So no I’m not disappointed because I always new spore had a cartoon style.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations."

David Friedman.

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/econundrum

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2008, 09:35:55 am »

Well not exactly, in one of his demonstrations/interviews he said if you can run the sims 2 you can run spore. But I digress, that was one of his older demos that I can't seem to find but I know that the graphically requirenments for the game aren't that high. Hopefully :P
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇´)人(´∇`)人(`∇´)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline Miclee

• Donkey Kong King
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2008, 09:37:29 am »

He has.... I can recall it from an interview in 06-07...
Here: I got this quote from a different Spore forum.

Quote from: Jik_ff
WW has stated that the way the game is being built (the engine and all) the requirements will be relatively low for a game like this (and release time).  He boasts that it will have similar requirements as the Sims 2.

Offline Petike

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2008, 08:17:15 am »

Well not exactly, in one of his demonstrations/interviews he said if you can run the sims 2 you can run spore. But I digress, that was one of his older demos that I can't seem to find but I know that the graphically requirenments for the game aren't that high. Hopefully :P
I even opened a topic, asking for the link of it's source, and no one could find it. Is I see this "quotation" anywhere, I ask for a confirmation, but no one could give it to me, not even a thread that discusses directly the source of this quotation, just excuses like that: "I'm sure I saw it somewhere"  :P

I'm 97% sure that this is only a myth
Quote from: MasterChiToes in "Spore was dumbed down"
Maybe the Sporons are the ones that got dumbed down?  ;D

Offline Lippy

• Galaga General
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2008, 08:28:27 am »
I've been following the game a long time since GDC 2005,  but I first heard that that demo was using a modified Sims 2 engine a week ago.  I've never seen the source for that, but that could be where people started getting the idea that if you could play the Sims 2, you should be able to play Spore.  After all, if the game uses the Sims 2 engine, it should have the same requirements, right?  ::)

And no, Spore is not too cartoony.   ;D

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2008, 09:12:53 am »
Look at the new logo, the newsletter. I think they definatly wanna go to the cartoony side...
and I don't think you need a super computer if Spore was not cartoony.
Ofcourse I don't demand Crysis-like-graphics, because that is not relevant. A realistic game doesn't need good graphics.
You need to see the difference.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:14:33 am by The_Kev »
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline CosmicD

• Omega Racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2008, 12:01:13 pm »
umm, if you talk about realistic, your right i didn't really nuance, between realistic graphics, physics and gameplay. Cartoony games could even have realistic physics: the topic was "is spore too cartoony" so I was thinking graphics in the first place, also because the general discourse with the "anti cartoon" camp seems to be that the game looked better at gdc05. (i didn't really thinkso but ok)..

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2008, 12:16:52 pm »
The games not cartooney period. If you don't believe me ill bring up pictures of cartooney games.