Author Topic: Is spore too cartoony?  (Read 27612 times)

Offline Full_Metal

• Adventure Ace
    • View Profile
    • Vector Hates You All!
Is spore too cartoony?
« on: March 17, 2007, 03:48:41 pm »
My enthousiasm for spore deflated when I saw the new look of the game develloped over the last year. In 05 and 06 it was beautiful and dramatic and moved me to tears. Now it looks so cartoony it's like watching spongebob squarepants.

To its credit, the gameplay looks more interesting than ever before. The tribal phase looked so awesome it might turn out to be my favorite. (Organizing hunts, building up a village, sign me up.!) Interstellar war is now continent-sized fields of mayhem and explosions and looks great.

It looks like it will be awesome to play but I don't think I want to play it in this new cartoony platform.

Offline Celdur

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
  • :33
    • View Profile
Re: Is spore too cartoony?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 03:52:19 pm »
o get over it it looks just fine...better even...at first it looked so gray...now its shiny

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Com

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Wandering the wastes with a jackhammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 03:53:18 pm »
I think that the only thing that has gotten more cartoony is the cell stage and the creature editor. The cell stage probably because not everybody would want to play a "realistic" microscopic level game and the creature editor just looks goods. So I don't think that the game as a whole is moving in any significant direction to the cartoony side of life.

Offline Snake

• Choplifter Captain
  • Bow down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 03:54:21 pm »
Be happy you'll ever even get it at least. Its always had a cartoony side. It makes it slightly more enjoyable. The creatures themselves are very cartoony if you think about it. What kind of real life creature would have one gaint eye? Or 10 feet and 1 arm thats attached to a tail?
Please look at the Miala and their Wiki on the page.

Quote from: Gungnir
Blarg chicka blarg-blarg

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 03:55:22 pm »
Two things look cartoony. The new editor look. Which to be fair, how many people are going to look at that background and think 'Oh god this sucks! Look at that background!' when they're busy forming their creature :)
The Tidepool stage,which yes, looks very cartoony given the design of some of the creatures there. But its the initial tutorial of the whole game. Surely you wont be on that section for long?
After thats done, you'll never see it again until you start another creature!

Other than those two things, nothing else looks different.

Offline Dekadin

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 04:06:41 pm »
It is true that the whole look of the game has been somewhat cartoony from the start, but when we first heard of it, we assumed you would be able to make more realistic creatures, and that will was just being silly and making a quick presentation. I assumed as much anyway. It has since been pretty well confirmed that this won't be possible.

I for one, find this very disappointing. It's not a game destroying fault, but I feel that a realistic style would go along with the game much better.

It's not that spore won't be a great game... we all know it will. But the wonder we experienced when we all saw the GDC '05 video for the first time is gone. Spore has gone from a historic masterpiece, to an innovative and most likely highly enjoyable videogame.

This all makes me wonder if this was the right way to make spore... Perhaps the game could have been done more justice if it'd been released sometime in the future, and though this will probably mark me as blasphemer on these forums for saying this, perhaps Will Wright isn't the right one to make it. Don't get me wrong, he's the best there is with innovation and concepts. I'm just not sure he's the best at actually making the games. Because to be honest, I never liked the sims of sim city or any of Will's previous games all that much.

As much as I want to love Spore, I'm afraid it'll turn out the same as those... a great idea... but just missing something fun.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 04:09:04 pm »
My enthousiasm for spore deflated when I saw the new look of the game develloped over the last year. In 05 and 06 it was beautiful and dramatic and moved me to tears. Now it looks so cartoony it's like watching spongebob squarepants.

To its credit, the gameplay looks more interesting than ever before. The tribal phase looked so awesome it might turn out to be my favorite. (Organizing hunts, building up a village, sign me up.!) Interstellar war is now continent-sized fields of mayhem and explosions and looks great.

It looks like it will be awesome to play but I don't think I want to play it in this new cartoony platform.

Well then don't.  Problem solved.

My position on this issue is quite simple:  If they change it by release date:  fine.  If they don't: shove it, stop whining, and deal with it.
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline nickmcdoz

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 04:10:21 pm »
o get over it it looks just fine...better even...at first it looked so gray...now its shiny
Get over it? Man you're a tool. They could take the editors out of this game a some people on this forum would still be saying get over it. They're so into this game, they've gotten lost. Mentally.

Anyway, I think the game looks fine, also remember that the new "cell phase" displayed a mulitcellular creature, not a cartoony cell. That's the only cartoony difference, and it didn't bother me, because I couldn't imagine it any other way.

My complaint is the new added videogameness. It totally took away from the experience of watching the game. The large icons everywhere, the multiple acid spitting monsters, the big ability things on the side of the screen, the lack of more realistic and less fast creatures on the screen, the stupid background of the editor (that I'll admit their is no way they would leave out an option to get rid of that after how many people ive seen across all these forums whining about it) the "impossible" sporepedia creatures.

They took away realism in other areas, not the graphics.

Things like that. My complaint is I didn't feel like I was watching the Pixar-animated discovery channel with a god complex.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:13:14 pm by nickmcdoz »

Offline Snake

• Choplifter Captain
  • Bow down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 04:12:44 pm »
It is true that the whole look of the game has been somewhat cartoony from the start, but when we first heard of it, we assumed you would be able to make more realistic creatures, and that will was just being silly and making a quick presentation. I assumed as much anyway. It has since been pretty well confirmed that this won't be possible.

I for one, find this very disappointing. It's not a game destroying fault, but I feel that a realistic style would go along with the game much better.

It's not that spore won't be a great game... we all know it will. But the wonder we experienced when we all saw the GDC '05 video for the first time is gone. Spore has gone from a historic masterpiece, to an innovative and most likely highly enjoyable videogame.

This all makes me wonder if this was the right way to make spore... Perhaps the game could have been done more justice if it'd been released sometime in the future, and though this will probably mark me as blasphemer on these forums for saying this, perhaps Will Wright isn't the right one to make it. Don't get me wrong, he's the best there is with innovation and concepts. I'm just not sure he's the best at actually making the games. Because to be honest, I never liked the sims of sim city or any of Will's previous games all that much.

As much as I want to love Spore, I'm afraid it'll turn out the same as those... a great idea... but just missing something fun.

Blasphemy! Heh... Anyway, Will is the one guy who even thought of this, and had the power to make it happen. He has made so many good games that he really is famous. The Sims were good, i've never played simcity, so i don't know about that one. Spore will be awesome and stop moping around.

Get over it? Man you're a tool. They could take the editors out of this game a some people on this forum would still be saying get over it. They're so into this game, they've gotten lost. Mentally.

Anyway, I think the it looks fine, and just remember that the new "cell phase" displayed a mulitcellular creature, not a cartoony cell.

My complaint is the new added videogameness. It totally took away from the experience of watching the game. The large icons everywhere, the multiple acid spitting monsters, the big ability things on the side of the screen, the lack of more realistic and less fast creatures on the screen, the stupid background of the editor (that I'll admit their is no way they would leave out an option to get rid of that)

Things like that. My complaint is I didn't feel like I was watching the Pixar-animated discovery channel with a god complex.
Seriously stop freaking whining. For god's sake its a GAME. Its supposed to enjoyed, and if you can't realize that then something really is wrong with you.
Please look at the Miala and their Wiki on the page.

Quote from: Gungnir
Blarg chicka blarg-blarg

Offline nickmcdoz

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 04:17:08 pm »

Blasphemy! Heh... Anyway, Will is the one guy who even thought of this, and had the power to make it happen. He has made so many good games that he really is famous. The Sims were good, i've never played simcity, so i don't know about that one. Spore will be awesome and stop moping around.

Anyway, I think the it looks fine, and just remember that the new "cell phase" displayed a mulitcellular creature, not a cartoony cell.

My complaint is the new added videogameness. It totally took away from the experience of watching the game. The large icons everywhere, the multiple acid spitting monsters, the big ability things on the side of the screen, the lack of more realistic and less fast creatures on the screen, the stupid background of the editor (that I'll admit their is no way they would leave out an option to get rid of that)

Seriously stop freaking whining. For god's sake its a GAME. Its supposed to enjoyed, and if you can't realize that then something really is wrong with you.

Keep whining everybody! If we all can whine in unison, maybe, just maybe, a spore dev will say "Will, you better take a look at this. There is a mass whining. We better add a few options in there. Let them have the old version of the sporepedia if they choose. Also make it so you don't have that cool looking background that you and I worked so hard on, and they can have they sculpting a clay creature and painting, and watching it magically come to life, without a silly 2D pop-up background, feel of the editor.

Offline Dekadin

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 04:18:10 pm »

Well then don't.  Problem solved.

My position on this issue is quite simple:  If they change it by release date:  fine.  If they don't: shove it, stop whining, and deal with it.
My position on your post is quite simple: If we stop expresing concerns about the direction spore is going in before the release date: fine. If we don't: shove it, stop whining, and deal with it.

And yeah I know, it's his game, I'm just mentioning it cause I've been waiting for this game since forever, and it makes me want to rip my hair out that it's so close to what I want and yet not quite >.>

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 04:22:01 pm »
I have always expected spore to me more cartoonish, I mean we are talking about a lot of stuff that we can barely explain about the universe. Also, Will Wright likes to exaggerate everything in order to allow a wider audience to be excepted of the concept. Spore isn't just for the hardcore, it is for everyone.

You have to begin understanding the demographic here. Seriously, one of the biggest reason World of Warcraft has done so well is because it allows for an acceptable cartoonish aesthetic that pleases everyone (That and they just revamped previous MMO's and them better).

Truthfully,There is a lot to this game and critically analyzing it over some very small as aesthetic pieces seems a little frivolous. Truel, we have no idea how in depth the editor really is until they are completely done making changes to it. You can see that even in a month, from GDC to SXSW there was changes to the editor. Do not fret over small details changing it is a part of the development cycles, to weave out some things that work and somethings that do not.

I think the developers are doing the best they can, I have a lot of criticisms about the game so do not thing I am just a one of those blind spore fans. I just can not make a "hard fact" opinion if the game is still understand A LOT of development.

Offline Tarrasque

• Mystery House Madman
  • Freedom at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 04:22:17 pm »
The cartoony looks are disappointing, but surely there are technical reasons for it.

There are hints in the videos that there are actually different levels of detail: If you spend more time tweaking your designs in the editors you can make it all much better looking. For example the ship/boat they designed and that attacked the installation or vehicle on the beach - the level of freedom they had with the shaping of the hull was amazing. If you do not apply the garish coulours it may look cool in the end. The coulours are key imo, what we have seen so far are mostly pink and bright green and such yucky paintings.

"I'm Jack's complete lack of surprise"

Offline Lualmoba

• Zaxxon Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 04:24:18 pm »
My complaint is the new added videogameness. It totally took away from the experience of watching the game. The large icons everywhere, the multiple acid spitting monsters, the big ability things on the side of the screen, the lack of more realistic and less fast creatures on the screen, the stupid background of the editor, the "impossible" sporepedia creatures.

That's exactly what I had been thinking lately. It used to seem like a game about exploring. You were able to explore the world, discover new things, and enjoy looking at things. Now it seems to be all about playing a video game. It looks like it's all about interacting with other creatures, fighting, eating, surviving, constantly running from other creatures, which I don't really think leaves you much time to actually just walk around and enjoy the view. You have to focus too much on how you are going to play. I liked how few buttons there were, so you focused mostly just on the creature (I thought Will had said once that he wanted an almost buttonless view... but now the whole bottom of the screen is crammed with buttons). Now it seems like you have to think on what parts you are going to use or else you won't survive, or be able to pick fruits, or whatever, instead of just enjoying making your creature. I really liked the feel of the 2005 demo.

Offline Lurker28

• Missile Commander
    • View Profile
    • Ordus inferi - Age of Conan Guild
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 04:25:07 pm »

Well then don't.  Problem solved.

My position on this issue is quite simple:  If they change it by release date:  fine.  If they don't: shove it, stop whining, and deal with it.
My position on your post is quite simple: If we stop expresing concerns about the direction spore is going in before the release date: fine. If we don't: shove it, stop whining, and deal with it.

And yeah I know, it's his game, I'm just mentioning it cause I've been waiting for this game since forever, and it makes me want to rip my hair out that it's so close to what I want and yet not quite >.>

Yes but us Hardcore fans account for such a small percentage of the gaming population. This game is going to be huge and a few hundred people bitching about how it isn't what they perfect ally had in their head is just ridiculous.

I would say that Spore is going to sell a few million in its first year, there are only a few thousand people registered on this entire site. I just wanted to put that in perspective.