Poll

What is the most appropriate thing to do if you want to address a topic that has already been discussed in an old thread?

Start a new thread about the same topic
48 (35%)
Revive the old thread
81 (59.1%)
Do not discuss the topic in this forum
8 (5.8%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Sporetiquette  (Read 24897 times)

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
Re: Sporetiquette
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2007, 01:29:42 am »
Wow. I don't think that post could be much more vitriolic and just plain wrong if it tried.

But never mind, some people are going to complain about things no matter the reality.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:31:45 am by Daxx »

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2007, 01:56:39 am »

they are just alpha posters jumping down people's throats

I keep trying to point that out but if somebody ain't listening they just ain't listening

Edit: I don't think the issue is 16 pages of posts. I think its the fact newbies who have a question are expected to search find a topic and then read through 16 pages of posts to find thier answer. Theres also the fact that people have lives and don't always have tons of time to waste reading through pages and pages of posts.

My problem is the way the newbis are treated. The average newbie thread is like this

Newbie: I was wondering if the water stage is was cut?

Veteran: Its been discussed before use the search button

Or

Veteran Its been discussed a million times use the search button.

See how rude and unfriendly that is? Thats only an example

I beileve this would be the proper answer

No one knows for sure but there has been a good amount of evidence that the water stage has been cut out one being an articule where will says they are on the cusp of being cut out. BTW We get alot of questions like this and they have been answered before so for future refrence theres a search button at the top of the webpage consider typeing in your question or topic there first before making a new thread. Thanks and welcome to the forum  ;D

How hard is that? Ironic that the word lazy was just brought up
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 02:20:38 am by WhiteWolf7 »
NEVER argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with exprience

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2007, 04:52:51 am »
I think this discussion needs to end. It's escalating in a bad way. Oviraptor and I have already given our opinion on things.  I'll be glad when this game finally comes out and everyone can actually discuss the game itself and not how to post on a forum.

For the record, we don't have a spell check because the forum software doesn't include it anymore. 

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2007, 04:51:10 pm »
I'm sorry LadyM, this'll be my last post on the subject, I promise (unless someone posts to me).  I just wanted to point out that if you let newbies post a question and simply answer it, you're encouraging it and before long, you have hundreds more threads that are all just newbies asking the same questions because those topics happened not to be on the first page.  It is proper and even IN THE RULES to search for your answer rather than ask it without looking first.  If they don't, they either didn't read the rules or forgot, and should be reminded or shown.  I think the reprimands linking the previous posts are more helpful, but from now on I'll only report the threads.  The problem with this is, does the poster get notified of why their thread was removed?  If not, then they'd probably just do it again and be confused.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline AuraBoyX

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
I think you people all need to get a life...
« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2007, 02:02:45 pm »
I can see it now... A Saturday Night Live skit will Will Wright standing in front of a crowd of Spore fanatics (ala William Shatner) just flipping out; "Get a life, will you people... For crying out loud it's just a computer game. I mean look at you, look at the way you talk. You've turned an enjoyable little game I've worked on for a few years into a colossal waste of time!"

Seriously though... I came to this board quite some time ago, posted a few messages (and was really enjoying participating in discussion) but it grew old quickly. I love Spore and all the possibilities surrounding it but a few things turned me off to this community...

A minor part was the manor this game is/was being over-analyzed (and in turn over hyped). I mean really, some of the things I have read here over the years could get people so eagerly and fanatically worked up that the game is SURELY going to suck for them upon release (even if it IS the perfect game when it is released). But that is a unfortunate side effect to the wonder of this game. I can deal with it...

What pi**ed me off mostly was the smug attitude of the people on these boards. I haven't posted for almost a year (10 or so posts were enough for me), but I do read them when I can... People are so rude to 'newbies' and others that I can't help but cringe when reading the posts. People come here, most likely, in search of news, fun, discussion, hoping to share ideas, etc... Once they get here they realize they have to walk on eggshells when posting, and if they do not they get sarcasm and just point blank rude attitudes from a lot of the regulars here...

So what if someone posts a picture others have seen before? Maybe the poster thought they were trying to help. Gee, be a jerk to them.

So what if someone hasn't read through 1,000's of posts to find the precise answer they were looking for... Maybe they were ignorant to know it was easy to find (if it even was). Gee, be a jerk to them.

Maybe they read the board at work on their break when they have the time... Maybe they don’t have time to pour through tons of over hyped information to find an answer... Maybe they don't have computers at home... Or even maybe they don't know how to use a computer and/or message boards well... (Or you might say maybe they are stupid.) Gee, be a jerk to them...

I am only posting this in defense of all the people who seemingly come here and obviously get defensive and pi**ed off when the denizens of this site flame them for being ignorant or uninformed. Sporetiquette? Please. Maybe some of you people should get some real etiquette to begin with. The majority of people on this site are cool... But it's the smug, arrogant attitude of a few bad apples that really spoil it for anyone whose world isn't completely absorbed in Spore. It's just a game people... Get a life! Show some repect. Be nice.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 05:39:22 am by AuraBoyX »

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
I'm actually going to agree with your thoughts Aura, I've been disappointed myself that people are so rude to the new members. It doesn't take much to answer a question or point them in the right direction. If a few new threads get made about an old topic, it's not the end of the world.

I think maybe everyone needs to relax. It's all just for fun.  :)

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 18, 2007, 08:04:01 am »
aqua is right, it is just a game, not WW3, not the appearance of jesus, not aliens visiting, not even the end of the world.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #142 on: April 18, 2007, 04:38:36 pm »
aqua is right, it is just a game, not WW3, not the appearance of jesus, not aliens visiting, not even the end of the world.

Actually Spore can be all of those...

You could make a Jesus alien race thats starts WW3 thus ending the world on the planet he appeared on.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 19, 2007, 09:11:40 am »
... :D that just made my day :D ...

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2007, 06:06:40 am »
So, i guess this is settled? we revive the old thread?

Offline mrodgers

• Choplifter Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2007, 06:41:39 am »
And don't jump on people if they dont know better.
Check out my (Thurlin's) creatures, building, and vehicles.  You won't be disappointed.

http://www.spore.com/flash/csa_widget.swf?userid=2263477425&username=Thurlin&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spore.com%2Fview%2Fuser-thumbnail

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
Necrobumping
« Reply #146 on: June 05, 2007, 05:03:51 am »
This forum has a very unusual policy on necrobumping, in that it actually encourages it to avoid different threads on the same topic. Now, a lot of people don't realise this, and either create unnecessary threads, or heckle people who necrobump. So, I was thinking, mayvbe we should have a sticky for this? Just to let the noobs know the policy.
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline Behumat

• Joust Warrior
  • Coruscant committee to fight urban sprawl
    • View Profile
Re: Necrobumping
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2007, 05:09:13 am »
Nah, its more fun to heckle.  ;D

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #148 on: June 05, 2007, 05:45:43 am »
Use the search  button Quantum Burrito this topic has been talked about before :P

The sad part is i am semi-serious. :P

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 05, 2007, 05:48:28 am »
Yeah, in all seriousness this thread has been done before. :-\

http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=8753.0