Author Topic: Creature Variation  (Read 9809 times)

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
Creature Variation
« on: March 16, 2007, 01:38:39 pm »
I did search, and could find anything the sort of pertains to this.

So i was looking in class today, just looking at all my classmates when i noticed how different we are. Blonde, Red Head, Brown hair or even white hair. Different skin colors, different eyes and all fingerprints of course are different. And yet we are all humans.

Well, is this also going to happen in Spore too? Will some of your species have some stripes slightly different from your own stripes? Or if you had an orange color, would another creature have an orange that looks like fire? Eyes are all different too? Or even if some of your own kind are bigger, or even smaller then you.

I think it could possibly prove my point because of that recent video of the tribal stage, it shows creatures fighting. It looked like both creatures were the same, but had different colors representing a different tribe of that same species.

Discuss?

I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline osherz5

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Variation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 01:45:44 pm »
In the video i saw all the creatures from the same species looked exactly the same , unless they were babies and they were smaller
and some other small different things
but it would be cool to see the same species with different colors , height , eyes etc...

Offline liveoctopus

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 01:56:17 pm »
We know that it's possible since in one of the new videos, Will talks about how baby versions of the creatures aren't of the same proportions as the adults... larger eyes for instance. So a bit of variation is possible between tribes or individuals, and different tints to the colors probably would be too. But whether they've actually done it is pure speculation at this point.

Offline Dekadin

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 02:05:30 pm »
While that would be awesomely realistic, I highly doubt it's been put in the game. As far as I could tell, all the creatures in the game looked identical aside from babies/adults and the tribal markings.

Offline heylister

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • i want space suits in spore Mr Wright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 02:23:49 pm »
hey wait didn't will say when you get to civ stage you fight or ally with people of your own race but they have slight variations? i swear the first video about spore back in 05 or something with the willosaurus.

god has it been that long since i first heard about spore?  :'( i've waited so long!
Don’t worry about avoiding temptation – as you grow older, it starts avoiding you.

Offline Dekadin

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 02:25:54 pm »
If I'm thinking of the right video, I believe he was talking about the city architecture, and not the actual creatures.

Offline ChristianSkunk

• Astrosmasher!
  • I stink, therefore I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 02:40:12 pm »
Well...  We have variations, but think about animals.  There's not usually a great deal of difference; usually just small variations of patterns.  With the exception of housecats, of course.  But even then, if you have a pure breed they tend to be fairly uniform.
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
"Life is a sexually transmitted disease and the mortality rate is one hundred percent." - R.D. Laing
"It's only by fate that any life ends and only by chance that it is mine, not yours."

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:42:19 pm »
No.  To YOU they seem the same.  They probably notice variations in one anouther...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 02:49:41 pm »
I think if they would have this feature, they had already implemented it and told us about it. But that's just what I think.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 02:55:19 pm »
We've seen that creatures of the same species have different sizes, babies have different proportions to make them look cuter and we have a "Races" menu in Sporepedia, we've also seen different tribes painted with different colors, wether the actual texturing of the creatures will change I dunno :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline SpaceOddity

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Europan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 02:56:03 pm »
I don't think this is implemented, because it kinda defeats the upside of generated content. You need to keep the unique features of each individual in memory/on disk, making the data much larger. Also bad for sharing the content, it makes the "friction" a lot higher. We'll have make do with the individuals having different states at any particular time.

In the future they might implement some kind of "noise" on the data when generating an individual. This "noise" needs to be kept in the core data, though, and it should have the same result each time it is applied.
<<<< Click to enter.

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 02:58:59 pm »
change in color variations and stripe patterns could happen only on your computer and not get sent around (except for the original creature) :P
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 03:02:04 pm »
I think we are just very complicated, we can differ from many things. If they would implement that the share data's would be much larger, just as SpaceOddity said it. I don't think this will be done, and for me. I really don't care.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Tark

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Woof
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:52 pm »
Am I the only person who noticed the variation?

Watch the SXSW video again: the horse-like animals that the slug attacks vary in color; some have blue stripes, others red.

You have a perfect shot of this at exactly 17:08 6:21 time on the video at viddler. (http://www.viddler.com/explore/zachinglis/videos/1/)

EDIT: Sorry, fixed the time
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:28:24 pm by Tark »

Offline Dekadin

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 05:04:12 pm »
Ooooh pretty... I didn't notice that, but you're right. That's pretty awesome. So either there's random variations, or red means something, like it's a mother or a female (if they have genders) or something like that. Probably random variations though.

No.  To YOU they seem the same.  They probably notice variations in one anouther...

There is that, but there's also the fact that in social animals, identity is more important than in solitary ones. If you look at a pack of wolves, they might look more similar than people, but you can still tell them apart if you look closely. The same can't be said for a random group of songbirds. If your only contact with members of your species is mating and you live the rest of your life alone, it isn't really important for you to distinguish between various individuals you might encounter, as long as you can tell which ones are healthy and worth mating with.