Poll

Which forum wll you use?

Gaming Steve
Official Spore Forums
Both
Neither

Author Topic: Will you still visit the GS forum when the Spore forum opens?  (Read 24456 times)

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
Even though everybody says that they stay away from the spore section and that they try not to be apart of it, the Spore section is a huge part of GS. First of all, we get most of our new members from the spore because people allways search for information on spore here. Second of all, the spore section is a place where newbies can practice posting. Once they are ready they move to the forum games section then to the rest of the forum. Basiclly spore is the thing that drives the GS forums. Basiclly Spore is the thing that keeps the pattren of the forum (People here about spore, think it is awesome, search for more information, check out Gamingsteve.com and it's forum, post in the spore forum, slowly learn the ropes of GS, spread to the forum games section, spread everywhere else, soon become part of the GS forum "family" and hardly ever post in the spore section again) of corse this isn't the same for everyone, but for most people it is true.

So what will happen when spore is gone? I think there are 2 sceniors of things that can happen:

1. People will no longer want information on spore.
      Besides the common "Help how do I do this?" and "Man this game is great!" the spore section will slowly die. People will no longer want information on spore because they can simply play or figure it out at another website. This could cause a lack of new members, which can be be good, but can allso slowly turn the forum into a boring place. Even the people that are allready in the spore forum will stop posting, because there is no speculating to be done. Gaming Steve will become a smaller forum, at firt nothing will happen, everything will be the same. But soon thing will become boringer as more people leave. This will take a long time after spore is released to happen, but still.

2. Madness:
       The spore forum will bloom after spore is released. More fanfics, more discussions, more of those RP thing-a-ma-bops. When people search for information on spore they will come here, like usaul, but unstead of staying in the spore forum the whole time (which would be boring even if it was active) they would spread about the forum earlier then they normally would. It is a good thing that people will start to open their eyes to the rest of the forum, but without the Spore Section being active newbies wont have a place to "learn the ropes of GS" causing the spam and randomness that is in the spore forum now to spread everywhere in the forum. Imagine the interior forum to become like the spore section.

I could just be crazy from the lack of sleep I'm getting, but think about it, what will happen when spore is released?

Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
Re: What will happen to Gaming Steve Forums when Spore comes out?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 01:06:49 am »
We'll see the general section wither and die and the fan-fic section explode as everyone is able to create an image of their creature
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Kaze

• Adventure Ace
  • Vicious Polar Bear
    • View Profile
    • EČ
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 01:22:21 am »
On the contrary, more discussion pertaining to the game will likely turn up. I've been involved with a few gaming-centric forums that follow a particular game before its release, and after, and generally, it happens something like this:

Pre-release - We see this already.
At release - Things die down. Everyone is busy playing the game, they're not going to spend time posting here.
Shortly after release - Things get negative. Everyone is still busy playing the game, except for those who are unhappy with it, or are having technical difficulties.
Well after release - Things start to pick up again. Generally the amount of momentum gained is intrinsic to the popularity and staying-power of the game. If Spore delivers a superb experience, the Spore section of the forum will see activity well beyond the levels it sees now. Look no further than forums for The Sims 2 as an example. Some of them are massive; so busy with activity that massive is probably an understatement.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 01:30:28 am »
yeah i think i might like the forum agter the release more than it is now...at least i hope so

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 06:18:15 am »
1. A brief period of underactivity in the Spore forum as everybody is playing.
2. Newbz
3. Spore: General turns into "hOW I SHOT MY LASAR???".
4. All the old CC critters die out, because mostly they can't be created in-game.
5. CC turns into a strange chimera with a CC head and a Sim House body.
6. Regulars could care less. Newbs are too busy to venture to the good boards.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 06:30:50 am »
So... nothing changes at at all, in other words. Well, except the short period of underactivity.

All the old critters are pretty dead anyway. All the oldbies got bored and are playing with cavemen.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 06:40:46 am »
So... nothing changes at at all, in other words. Well, except the short period of underactivity.

All the old critters are pretty dead anyway. All the oldbies got bored and are playing with cavemen.
I never had the patience to stick with a single race and run it all the way through
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 06:59:46 am »
Well if the fanfic sections explode maybe we can get one or two out of the hundreds that will join to come down to Forum Games with us.

:D

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 07:06:39 am »
Im sure it wont be incredibly bad, It may be kinda bad at the start and then things will calm down. I have faith that everything will be ok!
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 07:32:37 am »
The forum will be fine, it will probably get busier but it will continue.

Offline Person21

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 11:53:15 am »
Imagine the interior forum to become like the spore section.

No need, type in post apocalyptic on goggle images, that should give you a good idea ;D

Second of all, the spore section is a place where newbies can practice posting. Once they are ready they move to the forum games section then to the rest of the forum.

Practice?!?! You call that practice?! :o
Person21 - As enjoyed by Veraal.
A wise Surface to Air Missile once said about marrying 9 year olds in Saudi Arabia "Its pretty hard to tell if a 9 year old is going to be hot when she grows up, kids change a lot, usually, seems like a bad system. That cute little nine year old you married could end being a fat, zitty teenager."

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 02:38:22 pm »
Second of all, the spore section is a place where newbies can practice posting. Once they are ready they move to the forum games section then to the rest of the forum.

Man, maybe we should step in and actually enforce things like decent spelling and grammar. I mean, some of the n00bs in these sections still don't seem to have gotten it yet because we don't tell them often enough, but if they're treating the Spore section as practice, they might think that sort of thing is accepted...

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 03:26:35 pm »
Are you proposing a cull, or.... ?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline B.A.S.

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • WAR GSP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 03:30:49 pm »
I agree with Daxx something defenitly needs too be done about the spelling, I mean I guess its alright if you can understand what the word there trying too say is. But if its a bunch of garbage and makes you have too reread the sentance than they defenitly need too be taught. Heck I'll start on it right away if we have too. 8)
Your Friendly Canadian Fighter :)
"It is defeat that turns bone to flint, gristle to muscle- it is defeat that makes men invincible"- Henry Ward Beecher
Inkling:Durgon only comes by when he is taking a break from beating up people and animals

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 03:33:49 pm »
Durgon, that's not funny.
Not a winner anymore.