Author Topic: Most influential games (good and bad)  (Read 13088 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: Most influential games (good and bad)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 06:16:13 am »
Yes, more strategies - all of them slight variations on "Build 50 hydralisks and throw them at the enemy base"

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 08:25:57 am »
Yes, more strategies - all of them slight variations on "Build 50 hydralisks and throw them at the enemy base"

Good strategy and micro would own that even if i the defender had far far less units.

Honestly you cant judge it without being very very good at it
NEVER argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with exprience

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 08:31:29 am »
...and then lose to a handful of Protoss Templars or pretty much anything that a Terran player can build.

Good strategy and micro would own that even if i the defender had far far less units.
Good strategy and micro wouldn't even come into it.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 08:40:53 am »
Tetris is very noticeably missing from this thread.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 09:18:08 am »
But it still didnt bring anything new. It just refined what Warcraft and Command and conquer had already done. Its not influential, its just one of the best examples of an RTS.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 10:27:38 am »
But it still didnt bring anything new. It just refined what Warcraft and Command and conquer had already done. Its not influential, its just one of the best examples of an RTS.

The argument is whether the game was influential, not whether it pioneered anything. Considering the boatloads of Koreans that play StarCraft devotedly I'd say it had some influence; it's still deemed (at least by them) and some others as the best RTS ever. Do people still play the original Command & Conquer?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 11:55:30 am »
I'm trying to figure out how to put Deus Ex onto this list but for as good as it was in mixing FPS and RPG as well as it's amazing story, nobody seemed to care about it. :-\

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 12:23:09 pm »
Same for Thief: The Dark Project (and it's sequel, The Metal Age. But not Deadly Shadows), I haven't played a game since that has as good stealth elements since. But it's so niche, because it's a first person sneaker, combat is one of the last things you want to do, yet everyone wants to be the mighty killer...
Virus Buster.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 02:27:49 pm »
I dabbled in the RTS genre a little bit, and Age of Empires was always my favorite, to be honest. Highest quality RTS is why I think it's influential. That was ages (haha...) ago, but I remember having at least half a dozen or so winning strategies. Ages III screwed it all up.

How about Mercenaries? I know I'll get crucified for this, but I think it accomplished the GTA formula better than any other iteration, whether it be San Andreas or Saints Row.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 02:30:31 pm »
Freedom Fighters is what a Third Person Shooter should be and also had a story that some folks could take a lesson or two from.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 02:42:51 pm »
Freedom Fighters is what a Third Person Shooter should be and also had a story that some folks could take a lesson or two from.

Oh man I did NOT like Freedom Fighters...I had it for the PS2, and the controller scheme made me want to cut my hands off...

And apperently some video game guys are petitioning Congress to induct some VGs into the Library of Congress. This was their list of most influential games...http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/12/10-most-important-video-games-of-all-time-as-judged-by-2-design/

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 02:53:59 pm »
Wolfenstein.

The 1st FPS.

Need I say more?
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline WhiteWolf7

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2007, 04:06:42 pm »
...and then lose to a handful of Protoss Templars or pretty much anything that a Terran player can build.

Good strategy and micro wouldn't even come into it.

You have no idea what your talking about but i wont argue it i do suggest you look up somevodeos of it however and then i wont even have to argue with you

NEVER argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with exprience

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2007, 07:48:30 pm »
Some videos of players using armies of hydralisks? Why would I want to do that when there are plenty of replays out there of good players?

There's nothing difficult about countering armies of a single type of unit in SC.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2007, 07:50:52 pm »
Wolfenstein.

The 1st FPS.

Need I say more?

Podcast guest guy begs to differ  ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.