Author Topic: LittleBigPlanet  (Read 26743 times)

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
Re: LittleBigPlanet
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »
Ok, I have to ask.

What in the heck is a 'platformer'?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2008, 05:16:46 pm »
A game where you jump on platforms and from platform to platform.

They aren't very creative with genre names are they?

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2008, 11:25:32 pm »
Yeah.  Most Mario games are an example of platformers. 

Offline lxix

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2008, 07:48:04 am »
This IS the reason I got a PS3. I can play most of the other big games coming out in 08 on the PS3. This will compete with Spore for Game of the Year. How can this game not succeed? Unlimited content through a large 'mod' community and the fact that platformers still sell systems. Just because it doesn't have a gun in it, doesn't mean it won't sell REALLY well. Gamers will buy a PS3 for this game.

JMHO

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2008, 08:58:21 am »
I still don't know what the heck we are supposed to be doing besides playing around with stuff though. Garry's Mod has the exact same kind of dynamic and it isn't taking the world by storm. Most people can't even play that game well, is this game going to end up the same way?

Offline lxix

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2008, 10:52:19 am »
First and foremost LBP is a platformer. Gary's Mod....is it really a game or just an open playground? Not only that but it seems like there is less direction so I would imagine it would be overwhelming compared to a side-scrolling platformer that most gamers have experience with. I personally don't see them as being all that similar aside from being able to 'create'.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2008, 10:58:42 am »
Hmm... I thought they were pushing it as a "create your own whatever" kind of game and the platforming bits were only surface if you happened to make something that you could platform on.

There's going to be a bunch of premade levels and whatnot, right? So would that mean that there would be a fairly robust single player mode? If they had that the whole game would make more sense to me. I haven't read anything about single player though, they are always touting the multiplayer stuff.

Offline lxix

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2008, 07:35:02 pm »
There are supposed to be around 50 +/- SP levels where you play through to unlock items you can then use in your own levels. We know the Eye camera can be used for background pics and wallpapers. We now have various elements other than just fire (ice, electricity)They have added in switches and what sounds like some kind of 'logic' that can be used for making things more advanced, though I really don't know much about that last part. The switches are exactly like they sound and we already know they have 'bosses', collectible orbs and death. That last part we know they have a requirement of 'so many respawn points per length of level', so death really shouldn't be anything too dire. We now know you can offer up rewards for players that beat your level, complete it in a certain time limit or get a certain score. They made it sound like levels could be made difficult enough that not everyone will be able to complete them all.

It certainly sounds like the SP game will be just as detailed as any normal platformer, but the real longevity will come from the inevitable horde of levels that will be made by the public. All Media Molecule will need to do is keep the tools coming, which they said they plan on doing, so this game should have lots of legs. They have also said they expect it to develop into something more that just a platformer, though they admit they are not sure where demand and the creative public will lead them.

As it stands now, we have a platformer with a lot of potential.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2008, 08:33:06 am »
A  platformer is only as good as its levels. Can we really trust the general public to make a quality platforming experience?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2008, 11:01:08 am »
A  platformer is only as good as its levels. Can we really trust the general public to make a quality platforming experience?
I think it'll be the same as with community-made content for other games: Most of it is bad, and only a small part is genuinely good. If LittleBigPlanet has a level rating system, the good levels can be found fairly easily, while most users won't even see the bad levels.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2008, 04:34:58 pm »
I still don't know what the heck we are supposed to be doing besides playing around with stuff though. Garry's Mod has the exact same kind of dynamic and it isn't taking the world by storm. Most people can't even play that game well, is this game going to end up the same way?

I can see where your coming from.  I mean, i'm very excited for LBP (even though i probably won't get to play it for a while due to it being on PS3), but uh, Garry's mod is similar.  LBP is co-op where you build stuff, Garry's mod is co-op where you build stuff.  I think LBP has more of a defined goal, though, and the sharing concept in LBP is more prevalent. 

It doesn't bother me that people view LBP as revolutionary, or what have you.  The only thing that bothers me along those lines is when people talk about Halo 3's forge like it's some revolutionary concept or new idea.  It's a direct copy of Garry's Mod but with lots of limitations.  1UP Yours kept talking about it like it was never done before

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2008, 01:31:32 am »

I can see where your coming from.  I mean, i'm very excited for LBP (even though i probably won't get to play it for a while due to it being on PS3), but uh, Garry's mod is similar.  LBP is co-op where you build stuff, Garry's mod is co-op where you build stuff.  I think LBP has more of a defined goal, though, and the sharing concept in LBP is more prevalent. 

It doesn't bother me that people view LBP as revolutionary, or what have you.  The only thing that bothers me along those lines is when people talk about Halo 3's forge like it's some revolutionary concept or new idea.  It's a direct copy of Garry's Mod but with lots of limitations.  1UP Yours kept talking about it like it was never done before

Actually LBP is a direct copy of Peter Molyneux's "The Room".  Which is hardly surprising, considering the guys making it are former Lionhead members.  Still, I'm surprised there's not been a lawsuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGiPUx9Zgi0

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2008, 10:06:55 am »
The Room? Didn't expect that! :P

It doesn't look much like a rip off of The Room, but it could just be the perspective that is throwing me on that point.

Offline El Stevo

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2008, 07:32:44 pm »
Actually LBP is a direct copy of Peter Molyneux's "The Room".  Which is hardly surprising, considering the guys making it are former Lionhead members.  Still, I'm surprised there's not been a lawsuit.

I really don't think you can justify calling LBP a "direct copy" of The Room, just because they both have physics models and customisation in them. "Inspired by" maybe, but I think you chose your words badly.
Don't touch the screen!
Rank 4: Elite
Gamertag - El Stev0  |  Last.fm
Overwhelmed, as one would be, placed in my position.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2008, 02:11:51 am »

I really don't think you can justify calling LBP a "direct copy" of The Room, just because they both have physics models and customisation in them. "Inspired by" maybe, but I think you chose your words badly.

How about "suspiciously similar?"   :P