Author Topic: Ice planet?  (Read 12456 times)

Offline ddw0

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
Ice planet?
« on: July 06, 2005, 05:30:52 pm »
I was wondering if you will be able to live on an ice planet and also if you could do this without having to colonize it with, you knw, those bubble towns. also, do you choose the planet you start on, or do you start on a random planet?

Offline Silver_Kiwi

• Pac-Man Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Ice planet?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 06:19:13 pm »
I'm gonna bet you will be able to live on an ice planet...
So far the demo showed an arid planet, a grassy planet, etc. I really can't imagine them leaving out something so obvious as an ice planet...

As for picking the world you start on.... I kinda think that would be cool. Never heard this talked about on these boards.
Sort of like the ultimate character customization... ;)
Silver_Kiwi

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2005, 01:10:59 am »
From what I understand the planet kind of desisngs it's self based round how you design your creature ei if you never leave the oceans then the planet will be mainly ocean. possibly if you creat a speacies with think coast and what appears to lots of insalating fat the planet will start to look colder and possibly have more ice on it. At least thats the way i understand things.

Offline jujubee

• Missile Commander
  • Notoriously Unnotorious
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 06:14:42 am »
From what I'v gathered that seems about right.

Offline Zneeezzz

• Mystery House Madman
    • View Profile
SV: Re: Ice planet?
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 05:43:06 am »
From what I understand the planet kind of desisngs it's self based round how you design your creature ei if you never leave the oceans then the planet will be mainly ocean. possibly if you creat a speacies with think coast and what appears to lots of insalating fat the planet will start to look colder and possibly have more ice on it. At least thats the way i understand things.
you mean instead of the creature designs to fit in the nature like in real life.... the world designs after your creature :P

but I believe you'll be able to choose planet.... but not everyplanet.... maybe from a list of planets...... 2 iceplanets 2grass planets 2desertplanets etc

I hope it will be something like this......

or maybe you can do your own planet.... I would like to that.... make my own plants and stuff

Offline itit2

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 10:43:53 am »
well i geussed the planet you started on would be earth like, or at least the basic one would be, (could have more advanced options) then it is randomly populated by animals and plants and wil maybe have different 'zones' like sahara, poles, etc.
'don't think of yourself as an ugly person, rather a beuatiful monkey'

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 07:58:00 pm »
I doubt the zones. I think its just your general distance from the sun gives you one choice of 'climate' for your whole planet.

And not to say this is so 'unrealistic'. I mean, consider how in every Sci-Fi story each planet is one whole biome(desert, ocean, ice), and each race is somehow only one aspect of a regular person (Hostility, Intelligence, Greed).

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 10:21:46 pm »
Yes, sci-fi is a very good indicator of realism ;D ;D

But actually I would like to see a lot of different biomes on a single planet.  That way, you could have your creature evolving it's way through each, completely changing itself as it goes along.  After all, you were descended from a wad of goo in a hydrothermal vent.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2005, 01:58:05 am »
I dont think you could start on a desert planet, The first stage of life require water, in the real universe as in the game
(well i guess you could start as some kind of airborn gassy creature, but that sounds a lot more like expansion material than a core feature)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Leng

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • !?!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2005, 02:39:21 am »
don't forget there are different ages a planet may pass through.  So a lush, wet world can become a wasteland where everyone has to soak up the water they can get.
I have been told
not by one but two of my lovers
that I've got a heart of gold
but I'm unable to share it with others
They call me a poet who'll never have a poem
a tiger with no taste for bone
I'm the wonderful wonderful wizard who's waltzing alone

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 06:03:55 am »
the developers would need to be careful if they include stuff like that, climate change could ruin your game
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2005, 08:41:44 am »
I hope you guys aren't talking about a planet with zones as clearly defined as this:

If you are, that would suck. I'm all for different climates, don't get me wrong... But it should be more like we have on Earth. The higher latitudes are colder and the middle latitudes are warmer. Some grasslands in the middle latitudes, maybe a desert or two, and then some ice caps at the poles. If I had what you were saying completely wrong, sorry.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline MorgothTheEnemy

• Revenging Yar
  • I will find the ring...and eat it FOR THE EMPEROR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2005, 11:34:29 am »
I doubt you will have any say in the matter of your planet. i also doubt your creature will change it much (except water) I believe it will be randomly generated each time you make a new game.
Ash Nazg Durbatuluk,
Ash Nazg Gimbatul,
Ash Nazg Thrakatuluk,
Ag Burzum-Ishi Krimpatul!!!

"Then his neighbors looked good, so I gobbled them up too."
                                                                             -762
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/index.htm

Offline Hectonkhyres

• Scramble Skipper
  • Transcendent Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 11:38:04 pm »
I am more interested with very lightly terraforming one of those crater-pocked desolate moons we have screenshots of. You know... the one where Will blew up that spider on.

I would like an atmosphere and just enough water to fill the bottoms of the craters. We can stock the new lakes with flying fish, who will be spending much of their time migrating, and fill the valleys between them with assorted plants. It would create some really unique ecological conditions for us to experement with.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2005, 12:03:20 am »
I'm very tired so I may have missed this if mentioned already --

How about tossing a couple of those volcano inducing beams onto an ice planet? Would this turn it into a waterworld?
Not that I'm looking for answers from you lot. Just throwing out ideas.
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom