Author Topic: The Austin Chronicle: Will Wright Interview  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Petreak

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
    • Petreak's Graphics and Stuff!
The Austin Chronicle: Will Wright Interview
« on: March 02, 2007, 01:47:02 pm »
I found this article and thought I would share it. Haven't seen it before. It's not very long and doesn't have a ton of new info, but it's an interesting read.
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/review?oid=oid:451615

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Austin Chronicle: Will Wright Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 01:50:50 pm »
Then you get to evolve that cell into something that takes its first step onto land

*sigh* So I guess there won't be a water stage after all...
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Com

• Rigel Rescuer
  • Wandering the wastes with a jackhammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 02:17:37 pm »
How will Spore capture the hearts (and clicking fingers) of gamers in the first 15 minutes?
The cell game is really beautiful; it's artistically impressive. And the initial cell editor is simple but elegant.

I think we can lay to rest all speculation about the Molecule stage since the player interacts with the cell stage for the first 15 minutes

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 02:31:01 pm »
Whats more, he doesn't mention planets when it comes to content sharing...
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 03:24:19 pm »
I just don't want to come across logo planets.  Besides, if all planets are shared, then they must have been created.  And where does the DICE planet making particles come into play?
* Plank of Wood slaps

QFT

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 04:20:19 pm »
Then you get to evolve that cell into something that takes its first step onto land

Jesus christ. Talk about taking a totally unrelated quote as gospel. Of course, this is probably what you want to believe so there's no use convincing you otherwise.. -_-"

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 04:52:10 pm »
I just don't want to come across logo planets.  Besides, if all planets are shared, then they must have been created.  And where does the DICE planet making particles come into play?

Planets are rather more complex than creatures, and are not auto-textured in one shot.  Presumably, the particles would come into play in creating planets from scratch as part of the random planet generator, and also for texturing/coloring/creating features on planets (like when you make a volcano or change the sea level).

I think logo planets will be pretty rare, since the UFO's terraforming tools are not very exact.

I think WW or sum 1 said in 1 of the latest videos, the way things like planets are painted is thers like scripts crawling all over the planet deciding what things should look like. I dont think the player would have that much controll over those scripts, but we'll see.

Offline Notorious B.O.B

• Venture Conqueror
  • I still live!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 06:15:57 pm »

You know, perhaps the reason we haven't heard anything definitive about the state of water creatures and the like, and only have these random seemingly informative quotes to go on, is because they haven't actually taken the dang thing out yet.
Leave to a Thark his head and one hand and he may yet conquer.

The glass is alway in balance and full: half liquid, half gas.

Visit my Sporepedia page! http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Bob_Of_Mars

Offline DarkDragon

• Final Fantasy Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 07:23:22 pm »
I think we will be able to go to water in the phases, you will be able to stay in water during creature stage but will eventually be foreced out in order to go tribal and you will be able to live underwater with those bubble cities once you get to space stage.

An expansion will then bring actual tribal and city + civ underwater with no need for bubble cities (if your species evolved underwater)
DarkDragon's Minecraft Survival Server (use this as the IP):

gamingsteve.dyndns.org

- The server uses a whitelist, if you're not on the whitelist (can't connect), PM me your minecraft name.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 08:43:08 pm »
But it does rather say it isn't "cell to land"... it is "cell to something to land".
One would think that he would specify that that "something" was an aquatic, multicellular organism if that was indeed the case.

The way he's phrased it, "something that takes its first step onto land" really comes across as him tip-toeing around the whole question of water creatures. Whether or not this is because it's still "on the cusp" is anyone's guess. I'd be inclined to believe that he's just waiting until a better time to make it perfectly clear that they're gone, like maybe once some new demo footage has been released to pacify the angry mob.

Jesus christ. Talk about taking a totally unrelated quote as gospel. Of course, this is probably what you want to believe so there's no use convincing you otherwise.. -_-"
Rubber, glue, etc. You would probably be more convincing if Kcronos hadn't been one of the ones insisting that there was no basis to believe water creatures had been cut.

*Sigh*  Gaah!  Will did not say it was cut out!  He said it MIGHT be cut out!

C'mon people! Lets have some optimism here!

Also, explain to me just why anyone would want to believe that there aren't any water creatures? It seems to me far more believable that you just want to believe that they are in and there's no use convincing you otherwise.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 05:08:55 am »
Until it's directly said from the very source, "Sub-aquatic creatures are no longer in the game" or "Sub-aquatic creatures are in the game as originally intended" or something unswervingly polar to the effect of either one, there is no use misconstruing unrelated quotes as being gospel either way. They were quoted as being on the cusp of being cut - until further confirmation on the matter that is all we know, so there is little use in believing either they are in or they are not in by picking apart the wording of quotes on unrelated matters.

As for want; given people fall for believing one way or another based on said quotes with such enthusiastic, lemming-like gusto, what other expanation is there?

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 09:40:49 am »
Until it's directly said from the very source, "Sub-aquatic creatures are no longer in the game" or "Sub-aquatic creatures are in the game as originally intended" or something unswervingly polar to the effect of either one, there is no use misconstruing unrelated quotes as being gospel either way.
And how likely is it that we are ever going to hear either of those statements?

If this is the only evidence on the matter which you'd be willing to accept then we could be waiting a long time for the exact question "Are sub-aquatic creatures in the game?" to pop up in an interview.

How is it an unrelated quote, exactly? Given that it relates directly to what your cell evolves into?

The fact is, there have been many quotes which have strongly hinted at the lack of a water phase. "Venturing onto dry land" directly after the cell stage (as a blob) has been referenced many times by the dev team since that "on the cusp" statement landed on us.

As for want; given people fall for believing one way or another based on said quotes with such enthusiastic, lemming-like gusto, what other expanation is there?
I'd sooner call into question your ignoring all of the instances where a reference has been made to venturing onto dry land at the beginning of the creature stage and where pains have been taken to deliberately omit any reference to aquatic multicellular life. If you're completely unwilling to read between the lines here, and can't accept that all of these so-called "unrelated" quotes along with the dev team's reluctance to make any direct comment on water creatures (compared to pre-E3 when they were mentioned at every opportunity) might suggest that they've gotten the axe, then I can see you won't be satisfied on this point until you've actually played the game, because I highly doubt you'll see any evidence of water creatures in the mean time.

Offline DaMuncha

• Lode Runner
  • GREAT SCOTTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 02:48:27 pm »
well what i think is that water/tribe/civ is gonna be released on platform only. To get to see the FULL game ull have to buy a Xbox 360 , or PS3 , or Wii. So that way they can get more revenue from those companies by helping raise sales. That would also mean they have more time to do the water stages as the game has to be re written for those platforms, so while re writing it they can add the parts they missed out.

P.S. ELEGICOS IS WILL WRIGHT!