Author Topic: new star trek movie...  (Read 29419 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: new star trek movie...
« Reply #165 on: July 15, 2009, 02:35:39 pm »
You'll probably love it M.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #166 on: July 16, 2009, 06:09:39 pm »
You'll probably love it M.
Saw it this afternoon and I did love it. I think being a fan of the original series added to the enjoyment. It was easy to believe that they were the younger versions. I loved that the original Spock was there.

**Two thumbs up and a video purchase to come**

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2010, 08:06:13 am »
Since this just came out on DVD I thought I'd add my two cents.

I didn't like it. Now I'm not some yellow shirt wearing Star Trek fanatic, not even close. I would watch it if it was on, but never made a point of caring about the series a whole lot.

Since the remainder of this could be a spoiler for some, you may want to stop reading here.

OK, we all wanted to see the 'young classic crew', Great! But that isn't this movie.

This movie is an alternate timeline/universe with all bearing to the original series breaking off in the first minute of the movie. Sure it takes about an hour before it comes clear, but when you are done with it you need to understand that almost nothing you have seen has any real bearing on the original crew at all.

Kirk had a father all the way through to the his becoming a starship captain, not in the movie, so the character we see isn't going to have been the same person we grew up with.
Spock is a very emotional character this time around and one baseline of his character was his mother, who the director had take a flying leap off a cliff. Then there is also Spock from the original timeline.
Scotty and the monkey thing. Why a monkey thing? He had a sidekick in the original series, he and Chekov were close friends. For some reason they've added a 'boy-wonder-Robin' to go with the Batman of the engineering department to the like of the Monkey from Speedracer or the Dog from inspector Gadget.
Bones seemed to me to be the only main character that wouldn't have deviated too much up to that point, although 3 years of exposure to the new Kirk leaves that in question.
Chekov and Sulu are both fairly close to their orignial roots. Hurray for not screwing with the second-string characters I guess.

3 years after joining Star Fleet Kirk is now the captain of one of the most advanced and newest starships? Look, I'll buy transporters, warp speed, tribbles, and ice monsters. I'll even give a nod to some red liquid that can cause a black hole. But some loner kid with an endless legal record that joined Star Fleet would still be, at best, the safety officer in the shuttle bay making sure all the hatches were properly labeled. Not wondering around the bridge in a black t-shirt getting called captain and given command of hundreds of people.

I know I am supposed to suspend my disbelief, but they haven't made a crane powerful enough for this one.

-Lego

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2010, 12:43:42 pm »
The guy who played the 'monkey thing' was the guy who played the Oompa-Loompas in the latest Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. In the Blu-Ray special features, you see him do one of the dances. Anyway, it's not like they painted him as a new main character, like Jar-Jar Binks. He was just a background charcater, like many of the other aliens.

And you got to remember that Kirk went to Officer Training, not Ensign Training, so he could expect more than shuttle inspection. He also beat the unwinnable test and saved Earth from a crazy Romulan. And Pike obviously liked him, or he wouldn't have made Kirk First Officer when he was technically a stowaway. Were it not for the disciplinary hearing barring him from allowing him on the Enterprise, Kirk probably would have been on the bridge of the Enterprise alongside Pike in some position, or captain of one of the other ships sent to Vulcan.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »
Lego that's what nepotism will get you.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2010, 07:14:27 pm »
1000 days to the ultimate starship, the Kirk guide to PWNing Romulans and getting babes.

Star Trek felt a lot more like Starship Troopers than anything to do with Star Trek. It just didn't really fit in.

-Lego

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2010, 05:26:13 pm »
By the way, I did buy the DVD.

Offline Logan Felipe

• Ultima Lord
  • SAND JABBA!
    • View Profile
    • Personal World Clock
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2010, 07:06:41 pm »
Interestingly, the director was a star wars fan. Which begs the question; in our lifetimes, will we be seeing a remake of the star wars saga by a Star Trek Fan? O_O
Spore! Star Wars! Dinosaurs!
Fanfic!

I blame what I call the Scopes Law (When discussing evolution in the presence of a creationist, the discussion always becomes a religious debate).