Author Topic: 360 won the console war?  (Read 17006 times)

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
Re: 360 won the console war?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 05:04:28 am »
I've talked a lot about this over at GameFAQs, so I'll summarize my position here. I don't think that the 360 will have "won" the console war just yet this generation, however in a few years, Sony and Nintendo's mistakes will be made painfully obvious in the next generation. I also suspect that it will be a huge blow to Nintendo if/when Microsoft releases an Xboxmote.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 05:14:45 am »
Describe these mistakes for me. I have some things in my mind but would like to hear what you were thinking about.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 06:26:58 am »
The main mistake that I can see is that they both came out with basically no launch titles when the 360 was already pretty well established and had good games.

Four months later and I'm still waiting for them to release something good for the Wii.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 08:14:46 am »
i hope the phantom wins this console war

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:40 am »
First of all, let's talk about Wii. It's pretty clear to us what Nintendo is trying to do and it has definitely sold lots and lots of consoles and games. However, as Nintendo begins to sway towards the casual space, I think it's also beginning to leave the mainstream gaming space, and no console can "win", in my opinion, to have a strong presence in mainstream. Yes, we still love our beloved Zelda and Mario games, but you see more people staying up all night playin Halo 2 or Gears of War than those Nintendo titles. Nintendo will never win because they cannot dominate the mainstream, but they can never lose because of their creativeness and their famous franchises. This is their strategy, they are running a business, they are trying to be Nintendo. I seriously doubt Nintendo will jump ahead of its console cycle for the exact reason. Maybe they will be the first with a new next gen out, but I don't think they will shorten Wii's pre-destined lifespan to do so.

Hardcore gaming isn't mainstream. By expanding the market towards casual gamers, Nintendo is moving towards a mainstream audience. Microsoft may appeal to hardcore gamers, but that doesn't mean it's going to win. Infact, that share of the market is an extremely small fraction compared to the audience Nintendo is pulling in. Victory in this war is defined by market share, comparing the sales of each console to determine what % of consoles sold each company has. Nintendo, as a secondary console and a console that intends to expand the market share of the entire industry (and only the Wii will reap major benefits from that), is in an incredibly strong position to gain market share. I guess my point is that your definition of "mainstream" is bunk, because Nintendo actually is about to tap into it in a big way.

Moving towards the casual market sure hasn't hurt the DS's sales.

I've talked a lot about this over at GameFAQs, so I'll summarize my position here. I don't think that the 360 will have "won" the console war just yet this generation, however in a few years, Sony and Nintendo's mistakes will be made painfully obvious in the next generation. I also suspect that it will be a huge blow to Nintendo if/when Microsoft releases an Xboxmote.

Never happen. At least not in such a way as to affect the Wii. It wouldn't be a standard controller for the system. Peripherals do horribly, particularly when they're so completely different from the core control system. Developers wouldn't support it, which is why they probably wouldn't do that. [I said 'probably' because, well, anything is possible. I just think it would be stupid of Microsoft to bother.] They should be more interested in fighting Sony, not Nintendo. At least not this generation.

As for mistakes: Nintendo has made minor ones and nothing that's going to cost them this war. In fact, I'd say their odds of winning it are decent to good at this point.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:33:32 am by PHI-1618 »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »
I would like to point out that all stores in my area have piles of PS3s in them.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 12:55:32 pm »
I would like to point out that all stores in my area have piles of PS3s in them.

Ho ho! Not quite, you lie! Phil Harrison says that there's an 'unprecedented demand' for the PS3! That it's just flying off the shelves! Fast enough to give you whiplash!~

Seriously though, whatever drugs they have in Sonyland are good.

Really good.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 01:08:31 pm »
I also suspect that it will be a huge blow to Nintendo if/when Microsoft releases an Xboxmote.

Except that Microsoft will miss the entire point of ripping off the Wii by adding a bunch of buttons to it and making it cost $500. The Wii is successful not just because it's motion-sensing, but because it's simple and affordable.

Offline nickmcdoz

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 07:19:35 pm »
Here's what I think will happen.

360 will do well and live long, have lots of fun games. Wii will do the same, and will catch up/possibly override 360 sales, but only due to the fact many will own the wii60. PS3 will survive but have a tough time except for its later years.

Here's what I wish would happen.

PS3 will fail miserably for attempting to change the industry in the wrong direction: Make it the norm to have consoles more expensive than some laptops they have nowadays. Shame on you Sony. No ones gonna buy into your expensive crap.  Enjoy failing miserably in the console war. No one deserved it more. I'm not working a month to own a decent set up of your crap when I can get more enjoyment out of the extremely next-gen 360 and the Nintendo's genius Wii.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:38:06 am by LadyM »

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2007, 08:00:44 pm »
I also suspect that it will be a huge blow to Nintendo if/when Microsoft releases an Xboxmote.

Except that Microsoft will miss the entire point of ripping off the Wii by adding a bunch of buttons to it and making it cost $500. The Wii is successful not just because it's motion-sensing, but because it's simple and affordable.

I just realized that you quoted me as saying that, but it wasn't me at all. This isn't the misquote thread! Fix that!  :P

And as for Nick there, AMEN!

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 10:45:55 pm »
Nick, please try to keep the language in your posts reasonable. I agree with the sentiment, but Steve wants to keep this a family friendly forum.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 04:39:18 am »
Agreed and I cleaned it up. No need for all the language, you can still get your point across without it.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 09:28:18 am »
Agreed and I cleaned it up. No need for all the language, you can still get your point across without it.

No, I ***** can't! I cuss like a ***** sailor if I want to, you cold ***** of a *****! And for that matter, you can kiss the tip-end of my ***** and the ***** thing that people usually ***** hide.

I'm just kidding. Don't ban me.

Offline nickmcdoz

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 10:12:48 am »
Alright, thanks, cursing dillutes the message anyway.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 01:19:17 pm »

No, I ***** can't! I cuss like a ***** sailor if I want to, you cold ***** of a *****! And for that matter, you can kiss the tip-end of my ***** and the ***** thing that people usually ***** hide.

I'm just kidding. Don't ban me.

:o :o 

I know your kidding  ;)