Author Topic: 360 won the console war?  (Read 17018 times)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: 360 won the console war?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 02:12:21 pm »
Microsoft and Nintendo are leading by a fairly wide margin right now, but five years from now when the PS3 costs only $200, then the playing field will probably even out.

Wouldn't it be crazy to see each region have a different console leading? Wii in Japan, 360 in North America, and PS3 in Europe?

As long as they make good games at good prices, I will be happy.

Considering Europe, that the most ridiculous thing you could possibly have said.

It just makes no sense. At all.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 02:14:43 pm »
Yeah Sony has put their "Let's screw Europe" machine (A machine that all game makers have) into overdrive this generation.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 03:08:53 pm »
You two forgot that despite Europe getting royally screwed over with the PS3, the console is still getting record pre-orders.

And more importantly, the PlayStation has always done very well in Europe. Looking at the long-term, Sony could potentially do very well over there.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 03:15:10 pm »
If that were true than Europeans are as stupid as I sometimes wished they were... :-[

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 03:20:56 pm »
Well we'll all find out in a few years. :D

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 03:39:06 pm »
Most stores here in the UK aren't even advertising how much the PS3 costs.  Everywhere is taking pre-orders but not one store actually has a price displayed, just that it's £50 for the pre-order deposit.  How many people are going to turn up on launch day and be shocked when they're asked to fork over £425.

It'll be a long time before anyone can say any of the consoles have one, but so far the 360 is definetely my favourite.  I love the Wii, it's a lot of fun to play, but it still doesn't really have anything I want just yet.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 03:48:29 pm »
My Wii is sitting in the backseat , 360 riding shotgun, and the PS3 is face down in a ditch. Or i guess I would be driving the 360, Wii sitting shotgun with it's head out the window and PS3 is still in the ditch. there that's a better metaphor.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 04:17:15 pm »
Most stores here in the UK aren't even advertising how much the PS3 costs.  Everywhere is taking pre-orders but not one store actually has a price displayed, just that it's £50 for the pre-order deposit.  How many people are going to turn up on launch day and be shocked when they're asked to fork over £425.

Stores may not be advertising the system's price, but you can bet that when people are asked to put down a pre-order deposit, they'll be informed on the price. People with pre-orders are well aware of the cost. Nobody is going to put down money on a system without having a clue as to how much it will cost them.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 04:38:48 pm »
Also bear in mind that PS3s were sold out in the US initially. There will always be die-hards who are going to rush out and get one no matter what. The real sign of how well it's doing will be how quickly that rush fades. I think that's what makes everyone think the PS3 is about to lose the war, because they're already on "walk in and get one" status, whereas the Wii is still MIA.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 04:49:49 pm »
Wow, the number of responses really suprised me. Anyways, here's why I think 360 has won.

First of all, let's talk about Wii. It's pretty clear to us what Nintendo is trying to do and it has definitely sold lots and lots of consoles and games. However, as Nintendo begins to sway towards the casual space, I think it's also beginning to leave the mainstream gaming space, and no console can "win", in my opinion, to have a strong presence in mainstream. Yes, we still love our beloved Zelda and Mario games, but you see more people staying up all night playin Halo 2 or Gears of War than those Nintendo titles. Nintendo will never win because they cannot dominate the mainstream, but they can never lose because of their creativeness and their famous franchises. This is their strategy, they are running a business, they are trying to be Nintendo. I seriously doubt Nintendo will jump ahead of its console cycle for the exact reason. Maybe they will be the first with a new next gen out, but I don't think they will shorten Wii's pre-destined lifespan to do so.

Now it's PS3 time. Ok, I'm not saying Microsoft won because PS3 haven't had enough consoles sold and I'm not ignoring the fact that there are many many orders on the item. However, if you look at last gen's console sales, PS2 dominated by a long shot, although Xbox sales were going up at a faster rate. That is because xbox started later and it was Microsoft's first time being a console gaming company. Playstation 2 was the winner of the last generation console space because it started early, the hardware had great potential, and they got great 3rd party back up. This time, Sony isn't so lucky. The hardware is still great, but 1080p really isn't neccessary, probably not even for 2008, or even 2009. The hardware this time is just as hard to program for as the last gen, so don't expect games that will use all of PS3's power until the final 2 years of it's lifespan. Playstation exculsives like GTA jumped ship, so now they are going to be released on the 360 at the same time. Sony also cannot compete with Microsoft in media integration and online services because it's pretty evident that they cannot just suddenly beat M$ at what they have been blowing their brains out trying to prefect for the past 5 years: Vista Live and Xbox Live, Live arcade, computer/ipod integration.. etc. etc. So what does Sony have that Microsoft doesn't? The international market? Its library of "Riiiidge Racer!"'s? I don't know, and I don't think Sony knows either. It feels like the PS3 is going down a similar path as the PSP - something that could be great, but lost its moment to shine, and all it will ever be is a great piece of hardware without great software.
I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 05:07:49 pm »
Wow, that was like declaring the winner of the world series after the first three games in the season.  Yeah, right now the 360 is really the best console to own because they've had more than a year to work out the kinks and build a respectable game library, but the console war is far from over.  We should be having this discussion in late November, when we can reasonably compare how well each console has done.  As it is, we can only compare two things:  How well each console is doing right now, which means the 360 wins, and how well each console did in its first few months, which means the Wii wins.  But I think we can all agree that Sony's got a tough year ahead of it, if it wants to stand a chance in this war.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 05:13:05 pm »
Wow, that was like declaring the winner of the world series after the first three games in the season.

There's only 3 teams in this league, so it's easier for me.
I'm on a highway to hell.

gec05

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 06:27:14 pm »
To me, the 360 is only a success in the US territory. It flops in Japan and I don't know the story on europe. I think each console will have its winning audience for each region. I have to agree that the Wii cannot go through entirely since I have doubts about their commitment to creating excellent online experiences. And of course they're still new to this. But I think Nintendo is still overprotective of it's property. Even with the old-fashioned Mr. Yamauchi retired from the helm, Nintendo needs to step it up if they still want to please their hardcore audience.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 06:31:45 pm »
A Hiroshi Yamauchi reference, nice work!

*Golf clap* ;)

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 07:46:40 pm »
First of all, let's talk about Wii. It's pretty clear to us what Nintendo is trying to do and it has definitely sold lots and lots of consoles and games. However, as Nintendo begins to sway towards the casual space, I think it's also beginning to leave the mainstream gaming space, and no console can "win", in my opinion, to have a strong presence in mainstream. Yes, we still love our beloved Zelda and Mario games, but you see more people staying up all night playin Halo 2 or Gears of War than those Nintendo titles. Nintendo will never win because they cannot dominate the mainstream, but they can never lose because of their creativeness and their famous franchises. This is their strategy, they are running a business, they are trying to be Nintendo. I seriously doubt Nintendo will jump ahead of its console cycle for the exact reason. Maybe they will be the first with a new next gen out, but I don't think they will shorten Wii's pre-destined lifespan to do so.

Hardcore gaming isn't mainstream. By expanding the market towards casual gamers, Nintendo is moving towards a mainstream audience. Microsoft may appeal to hardcore gamers, but that doesn't mean it's going to win. Infact, that share of the market is an extremely small fraction compared to the audience Nintendo is pulling in. Victory in this war is defined by market share, comparing the sales of each console to determine what % of consoles sold each company has. Nintendo, as a secondary console and a console that intends to expand the market share of the entire industry (and only the Wii will reap major benefits from that), is in an incredibly strong position to gain market share. I guess my point is that your definition of "mainstream" is bunk, because Nintendo actually is about to tap into it in a big way.

As for the PS3, I'm not calling them out until they get their first big title. Their first Final Fantasy or MGS. Games like those move systems, and if they can move enough, they might get some new exclusive franchises. Down but not out, to be sure (here's hoping for "out").