Author Topic: 360 won the console war?  (Read 17026 times)

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
360 won the console war?
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:14:48 pm »
It's very late right now and I haven't posted on this website for a long while, but I think it's the best place to discuss my ideas about gaming first hand. I'm not going to list the reasons now because I'm rather tired, but I believe that Microsoft has won the console wars. Agree? Disagree?

I'll follow up later with a more detailed explaination.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 11:17:27 pm by Secret|Service »

I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: 360 won the console war?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:24:40 am »
The wars not over yet.  Although the 360's early blitzkrieg maneuver gave it an advantage over the others, the Wii is currently attacking the unprotected creativity flank.  Meanwhile, the PS3 is losing strength because its supply lines to new games has run thin.

I love military metaphor.  And alliteration.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:33:16 am by neoadept »
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 07:43:35 am »
It's not who wins at this point, it's who loses. Whoever comes in last is going to have a hard time getting back up in next gen.

My winner prediction? N-Gage
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:23:11 am »
Way too early to tell. Two of the competitors have only been on the market for a third of a year. One hasn't even reached Europe yet! It won't be time to start finding a winner for at least another year or two.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:25:39 am »
console wars....whoever wins, we gamers lose.

WE LOSE MONEY. LOTS AND LOTS OF IT!
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:33:25 am »
But we gain sweet, sweet gaming goodness. I think it's worth it.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 09:35:08 am »
console wars....whoever wins, we gamers lose.

WE LOSE MONEY. LOTS AND LOTS OF IT!

Competition = higher quality and lower prices

Or at least its supposed to. Sony just isn't playing their cards right. But if there were no console wars and all three big companies conspired together, perhaps video games would be the next oil industry?? Let's get raped at the gas pump and the VG stores!

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 11:20:43 am »
the war is far from over, the 360 seems to be in second place to me, with the wii in first. However I don't really see them competing with each other as a number of people will purchase the wii along with a ps3 or 360. ps3 seems to be losing badly, but sales may pick up when some of their bigger exclusive games finally arrive (final fantasy XIII anyone?)
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:28:15 am »
(final fantasy XIII anyone?)

Final Fantasy XIII or Final Fantasy Versus XIII or I am so confused about Final Fantasy XIII... what are they doing?

:P

Here's how I see it... (I've compiled it from all the stuff I've read over the last year or so...)

Microsoft: Leader in quality - Wide selection and lots of good games.
Sony: Leader is power - What games it does have look amazing but as was implied, there are not many and even fewer good ones.
Nintendo: Leader in price - It's so cheap! Why not buy three? Some good games and a lot of crap and filler.

They all have tons of promise, especially Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft gets to play defensively, changing it's tactic to whatever the other two do, hopefully they don't do anything that Microsoft can not counter. Sony has a lot to live up to and if they can pull it off they deserve to win. Nintendo doesn't have a lot to lose but can't let it's guard down for a second because the Wii is going to drop off soon enough and then they will have to back up their customer's purchases with some good games.

Hopefully everyone does a good job and makes the gamers happy. But they won't...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:37:09 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:53:52 am »
Microsoft and Nintendo are leading by a fairly wide margin right now, but five years from now when the PS3 costs only $200, then the playing field will probably even out.

Wouldn't it be crazy to see each region have a different console leading? Wii in Japan, 360 in North America, and PS3 in Europe?

As long as they make good games at good prices, I will be happy.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 12:18:30 pm »
Does anyone else think Nintendo is going to release a console in a shorter timeframe than the normal 5 year cycle? They're smart guys. They had to know that the Wii's lack of power would hurt it down the road. Maybe they just knew that "down the road" wasn't going to be an issue because of a new system that plays like a Wii, but with the power to give it longevity. I think that'd really throw off the whole "next gen" thing, as suddenly there'd be a system a generation ahead of the others, who would be at their prime. Am I talkin' out of my ass, or have I got something here?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 12:22:36 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:26:53 pm »
It all depends on console sales. If the Wii continues to sell like hotcakes (much like the DS) for the next 5 years, then I see no reason why Nintendo should cannibalize those sales with a new console.

But if all the excitement around the Wii dies out in a couple of years, then I could see it happening.

You just have to be careful not to piss people off by short-cutting the console. That's what Microsoft sort of did with the original Xbox.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 12:31:05 pm »
A couple years? Think rationally now. The Wii is not going to sell this well forever. I give it till April, by then you can will be able to walk in and get one any day of the week.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 12:38:08 pm »
The DS surprised many of us. I don't think anyone could have predicted what a massive success that system has been.

Of course, I don't think the Wii is going to match the DS's huge success...not even close. But remember, most of us figured we would not need to pre-order a Wii in the first place. We're now three months after launch, and the thing is still sold-out.

I'm not saying the thing is going to be a complete sell-out for a few years, but I do think that it will do very well initially.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2007, 02:12:21 pm »
Microsoft and Nintendo are leading by a fairly wide margin right now, but five years from now when the PS3 costs only $200, then the playing field will probably even out.

Wouldn't it be crazy to see each region have a different console leading? Wii in Japan, 360 in North America, and PS3 in Europe?

As long as they make good games at good prices, I will be happy.

Considering Europe, that the most ridiculous thing you could possibly have said.

It just makes no sense. At all.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2007, 02:14:43 pm »
Yeah Sony has put their "Let's screw Europe" machine (A machine that all game makers have) into overdrive this generation.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2007, 03:08:53 pm »
You two forgot that despite Europe getting royally screwed over with the PS3, the console is still getting record pre-orders.

And more importantly, the PlayStation has always done very well in Europe. Looking at the long-term, Sony could potentially do very well over there.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2007, 03:15:10 pm »
If that were true than Europeans are as stupid as I sometimes wished they were... :-[

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2007, 03:20:56 pm »
Well we'll all find out in a few years. :D

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2007, 03:39:06 pm »
Most stores here in the UK aren't even advertising how much the PS3 costs.  Everywhere is taking pre-orders but not one store actually has a price displayed, just that it's £50 for the pre-order deposit.  How many people are going to turn up on launch day and be shocked when they're asked to fork over £425.

It'll be a long time before anyone can say any of the consoles have one, but so far the 360 is definetely my favourite.  I love the Wii, it's a lot of fun to play, but it still doesn't really have anything I want just yet.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2007, 03:48:29 pm »
My Wii is sitting in the backseat , 360 riding shotgun, and the PS3 is face down in a ditch. Or i guess I would be driving the 360, Wii sitting shotgun with it's head out the window and PS3 is still in the ditch. there that's a better metaphor.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2007, 04:17:15 pm »
Most stores here in the UK aren't even advertising how much the PS3 costs.  Everywhere is taking pre-orders but not one store actually has a price displayed, just that it's £50 for the pre-order deposit.  How many people are going to turn up on launch day and be shocked when they're asked to fork over £425.

Stores may not be advertising the system's price, but you can bet that when people are asked to put down a pre-order deposit, they'll be informed on the price. People with pre-orders are well aware of the cost. Nobody is going to put down money on a system without having a clue as to how much it will cost them.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 04:38:48 pm »
Also bear in mind that PS3s were sold out in the US initially. There will always be die-hards who are going to rush out and get one no matter what. The real sign of how well it's doing will be how quickly that rush fades. I think that's what makes everyone think the PS3 is about to lose the war, because they're already on "walk in and get one" status, whereas the Wii is still MIA.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 04:49:49 pm »
Wow, the number of responses really suprised me. Anyways, here's why I think 360 has won.

First of all, let's talk about Wii. It's pretty clear to us what Nintendo is trying to do and it has definitely sold lots and lots of consoles and games. However, as Nintendo begins to sway towards the casual space, I think it's also beginning to leave the mainstream gaming space, and no console can "win", in my opinion, to have a strong presence in mainstream. Yes, we still love our beloved Zelda and Mario games, but you see more people staying up all night playin Halo 2 or Gears of War than those Nintendo titles. Nintendo will never win because they cannot dominate the mainstream, but they can never lose because of their creativeness and their famous franchises. This is their strategy, they are running a business, they are trying to be Nintendo. I seriously doubt Nintendo will jump ahead of its console cycle for the exact reason. Maybe they will be the first with a new next gen out, but I don't think they will shorten Wii's pre-destined lifespan to do so.

Now it's PS3 time. Ok, I'm not saying Microsoft won because PS3 haven't had enough consoles sold and I'm not ignoring the fact that there are many many orders on the item. However, if you look at last gen's console sales, PS2 dominated by a long shot, although Xbox sales were going up at a faster rate. That is because xbox started later and it was Microsoft's first time being a console gaming company. Playstation 2 was the winner of the last generation console space because it started early, the hardware had great potential, and they got great 3rd party back up. This time, Sony isn't so lucky. The hardware is still great, but 1080p really isn't neccessary, probably not even for 2008, or even 2009. The hardware this time is just as hard to program for as the last gen, so don't expect games that will use all of PS3's power until the final 2 years of it's lifespan. Playstation exculsives like GTA jumped ship, so now they are going to be released on the 360 at the same time. Sony also cannot compete with Microsoft in media integration and online services because it's pretty evident that they cannot just suddenly beat M$ at what they have been blowing their brains out trying to prefect for the past 5 years: Vista Live and Xbox Live, Live arcade, computer/ipod integration.. etc. etc. So what does Sony have that Microsoft doesn't? The international market? Its library of "Riiiidge Racer!"'s? I don't know, and I don't think Sony knows either. It feels like the PS3 is going down a similar path as the PSP - something that could be great, but lost its moment to shine, and all it will ever be is a great piece of hardware without great software.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 05:07:49 pm »
Wow, that was like declaring the winner of the world series after the first three games in the season.  Yeah, right now the 360 is really the best console to own because they've had more than a year to work out the kinks and build a respectable game library, but the console war is far from over.  We should be having this discussion in late November, when we can reasonably compare how well each console has done.  As it is, we can only compare two things:  How well each console is doing right now, which means the 360 wins, and how well each console did in its first few months, which means the Wii wins.  But I think we can all agree that Sony's got a tough year ahead of it, if it wants to stand a chance in this war.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 05:13:05 pm »
Wow, that was like declaring the winner of the world series after the first three games in the season.

There's only 3 teams in this league, so it's easier for me.

gec05

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 06:27:14 pm »
To me, the 360 is only a success in the US territory. It flops in Japan and I don't know the story on europe. I think each console will have its winning audience for each region. I have to agree that the Wii cannot go through entirely since I have doubts about their commitment to creating excellent online experiences. And of course they're still new to this. But I think Nintendo is still overprotective of it's property. Even with the old-fashioned Mr. Yamauchi retired from the helm, Nintendo needs to step it up if they still want to please their hardcore audience.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 06:31:45 pm »
A Hiroshi Yamauchi reference, nice work!

*Golf clap* ;)

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 07:46:40 pm »
First of all, let's talk about Wii. It's pretty clear to us what Nintendo is trying to do and it has definitely sold lots and lots of consoles and games. However, as Nintendo begins to sway towards the casual space, I think it's also beginning to leave the mainstream gaming space, and no console can "win", in my opinion, to have a strong presence in mainstream. Yes, we still love our beloved Zelda and Mario games, but you see more people staying up all night playin Halo 2 or Gears of War than those Nintendo titles. Nintendo will never win because they cannot dominate the mainstream, but they can never lose because of their creativeness and their famous franchises. This is their strategy, they are running a business, they are trying to be Nintendo. I seriously doubt Nintendo will jump ahead of its console cycle for the exact reason. Maybe they will be the first with a new next gen out, but I don't think they will shorten Wii's pre-destined lifespan to do so.

Hardcore gaming isn't mainstream. By expanding the market towards casual gamers, Nintendo is moving towards a mainstream audience. Microsoft may appeal to hardcore gamers, but that doesn't mean it's going to win. Infact, that share of the market is an extremely small fraction compared to the audience Nintendo is pulling in. Victory in this war is defined by market share, comparing the sales of each console to determine what % of consoles sold each company has. Nintendo, as a secondary console and a console that intends to expand the market share of the entire industry (and only the Wii will reap major benefits from that), is in an incredibly strong position to gain market share. I guess my point is that your definition of "mainstream" is bunk, because Nintendo actually is about to tap into it in a big way.

As for the PS3, I'm not calling them out until they get their first big title. Their first Final Fantasy or MGS. Games like those move systems, and if they can move enough, they might get some new exclusive franchises. Down but not out, to be sure (here's hoping for "out").

Offline syphonbyte

• Moon Patroller
  • You know what the payment is...
    • View Profile
    • The Village of Fools
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 05:04:28 am »
I've talked a lot about this over at GameFAQs, so I'll summarize my position here. I don't think that the 360 will have "won" the console war just yet this generation, however in a few years, Sony and Nintendo's mistakes will be made painfully obvious in the next generation. I also suspect that it will be a huge blow to Nintendo if/when Microsoft releases an Xboxmote.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 05:14:45 am »
Describe these mistakes for me. I have some things in my mind but would like to hear what you were thinking about.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2007, 06:26:58 am »
The main mistake that I can see is that they both came out with basically no launch titles when the 360 was already pretty well established and had good games.

Four months later and I'm still waiting for them to release something good for the Wii.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2007, 08:14:46 am »
i hope the phantom wins this console war

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2007, 11:29:40 am »

Hardcore gaming isn't mainstream. By expanding the market towards casual gamers, Nintendo is moving towards a mainstream audience. Microsoft may appeal to hardcore gamers, but that doesn't mean it's going to win. Infact, that share of the market is an extremely small fraction compared to the audience Nintendo is pulling in. Victory in this war is defined by market share, comparing the sales of each console to determine what % of consoles sold each company has. Nintendo, as a secondary console and a console that intends to expand the market share of the entire industry (and only the Wii will reap major benefits from that), is in an incredibly strong position to gain market share. I guess my point is that your definition of "mainstream" is bunk, because Nintendo actually is about to tap into it in a big way.

Moving towards the casual market sure hasn't hurt the DS's sales.

I've talked a lot about this over at GameFAQs, so I'll summarize my position here. I don't think that the 360 will have "won" the console war just yet this generation, however in a few years, Sony and Nintendo's mistakes will be made painfully obvious in the next generation. I also suspect that it will be a huge blow to Nintendo if/when Microsoft releases an Xboxmote.

Never happen. At least not in such a way as to affect the Wii. It wouldn't be a standard controller for the system. Peripherals do horribly, particularly when they're so completely different from the core control system. Developers wouldn't support it, which is why they probably wouldn't do that. [I said 'probably' because, well, anything is possible. I just think it would be stupid of Microsoft to bother.] They should be more interested in fighting Sony, not Nintendo. At least not this generation.

As for mistakes: Nintendo has made minor ones and nothing that's going to cost them this war. In fact, I'd say their odds of winning it are decent to good at this point.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2007, 11:33:32 am by PHI-1618 »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »
I would like to point out that all stores in my area have piles of PS3s in them.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2007, 12:55:32 pm »
I would like to point out that all stores in my area have piles of PS3s in them.

Ho ho! Not quite, you lie! Phil Harrison says that there's an 'unprecedented demand' for the PS3! That it's just flying off the shelves! Fast enough to give you whiplash!~

Seriously though, whatever drugs they have in Sonyland are good.

Really good.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2007, 01:08:31 pm »
I also suspect that it will be a huge blow to Nintendo if/when Microsoft releases an Xboxmote.

Except that Microsoft will miss the entire point of ripping off the Wii by adding a bunch of buttons to it and making it cost $500. The Wii is successful not just because it's motion-sensing, but because it's simple and affordable.

Offline nickmcdoz

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2007, 07:19:35 pm »
Here's what I think will happen.

360 will do well and live long, have lots of fun games. Wii will do the same, and will catch up/possibly override 360 sales, but only due to the fact many will own the wii60. PS3 will survive but have a tough time except for its later years.

Here's what I wish would happen.

PS3 will fail miserably for attempting to change the industry in the wrong direction: Make it the norm to have consoles more expensive than some laptops they have nowadays. Shame on you Sony. No ones gonna buy into your expensive crap.  Enjoy failing miserably in the console war. No one deserved it more. I'm not working a month to own a decent set up of your crap when I can get more enjoyment out of the extremely next-gen 360 and the Nintendo's genius Wii.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 04:38:06 am by LadyM »

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2007, 08:00:44 pm »
I also suspect that it will be a huge blow to Nintendo if/when Microsoft releases an Xboxmote.

Except that Microsoft will miss the entire point of ripping off the Wii by adding a bunch of buttons to it and making it cost $500. The Wii is successful not just because it's motion-sensing, but because it's simple and affordable.

I just realized that you quoted me as saying that, but it wasn't me at all. This isn't the misquote thread! Fix that!  :P

And as for Nick there, AMEN!

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2007, 10:45:55 pm »
Nick, please try to keep the language in your posts reasonable. I agree with the sentiment, but Steve wants to keep this a family friendly forum.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2007, 04:39:18 am »
Agreed and I cleaned it up. No need for all the language, you can still get your point across without it.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2007, 09:28:18 am »
Agreed and I cleaned it up. No need for all the language, you can still get your point across without it.

No, I ***** can't! I cuss like a ***** sailor if I want to, you cold ***** of a *****! And for that matter, you can kiss the tip-end of my ***** and the ***** thing that people usually ***** hide.

I'm just kidding. Don't ban me.

Offline nickmcdoz

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2007, 10:12:48 am »
Alright, thanks, cursing dillutes the message anyway.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2007, 01:19:17 pm »

No, I ***** can't! I cuss like a ***** sailor if I want to, you cold ***** of a *****! And for that matter, you can kiss the tip-end of my ***** and the ***** thing that people usually ***** hide.

I'm just kidding. Don't ban me.

:o :o 

I know your kidding  ;)

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2007, 02:03:50 pm »

Not in my universe you can't.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2007, 02:03:06 am »
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/07/exclusive-games-ftw-how-do-360-ps3-and-wii-stack-up/

According to this 360 has the most exclusives at 80, Wii in 2nd with 53 and the PS3 with 39. Sounds like it's good to be a 360 owner.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2007, 08:36:19 am »
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/07/exclusive-games-ftw-how-do-360-ps3-and-wii-stack-up/

According to this 360 has the most exclusives at 80, Wii in 2nd with 53 and the PS3 with 39. Sounds like it's good to be a 360 owner.

Yep. Thanks, Bill, for all the moneys you're tossing around! :)

Offline Megajames75

• Asteroids Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 03:37:16 pm »
http://nexgenwars.com/ this site has sales, and once you make a pick popularity, it easy to see who is losing, and who is about to smash the survivor to pieces
My sporepedia page:

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Cold-Fire

I have over 50 creatures, I only upload my best so each of these should be good. All my creatures work ingame, and are beliveable.

Please take a look at my sporecast of the Flob species:

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=ssc-500012834975

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 05:16:28 pm »
yeah that has already done the round on this site including a brief stint where the figures appeared as signatures.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2007, 07:39:45 pm »
Yeah, I checked that daily when the new consoles were released, watching them like they were sports scores. Then the real figures were released, and there was a huge difference between those numbers, and I lost interest.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2007, 02:37:20 am »
Man I didn't realize that Wii was already up to the 5 million mark, Kinda makes sense, I mean they been selling over 400,000 units in japan every month, and they been selling about 400,000-350,000 a month here in the U.S, and i'm sure it's doing good in the PAL territories, It'll be interesting to see how long Nintendo can keep these kinda of numbers up.

The 360 seems to be going strong, they seem to constantly sell about around 250,000 a month in the U.S. Another great thing, and I don't know if any of you have realized this, but the 360 has been releasing one triple A title a month and will be for the rest of 2007.

July'06: Prey(might not have been a mega hit but it did have Hype)
August: Dead Rising
September: Saints Row
October: Splinter Cell Double Agent
November: Gears/ Viva Pinata (yeah viva didn't sell well either but I had to give it some love)
December: N/A (No games really come out in December plus everyone was still playing gears :P)
January'07: Lost Planet
February: Crackdown
March: Ghost Recon Advance Warfare 2
April: Guitar Hero 2
May: Forza Mortor Sports 2
June: Mass Effect (rumor)
August: Bioshock
September Halo 2 (rumor)
October: GTA 4
Novemebr:  Mercenaries 2: World in Flames (I'm guessing??)

I mean really that's just a crazy list. Yes some of those games are coming out on other systems, and they might not all be for you, but regardless you can't deny that all those games are going to sell like crazy when they come out. Those games are the cream of the crop, but there are still other games that are coming out in those months that will sell pretty well, plus I'm sure there are at least a couple games that also coming out that we have even seem yet. Try to make a list like that for the PS3 or Wii could you even fill in all the months? (I would try but it's getting late right now and I'm sleepy) 360 is a monster this year, a monster tell ya.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2007, 02:21:15 am »
Sorry for the double post but here is a comparison of what is coming out for the other systems
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Month
----- 
January
Feburay
March
April
May
June
July
Auguest
September   
October
November
PS3
---
Gripshift (only game that came out this month)   
NBA Street Homecourt
Motor Storm
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
Spiderman / Lair (could be a June game)   
Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Hot Shots Golf 5
Assassin's Creed (really, in August?)
Warhawk
GTA 4
Mercenaries 2
Wii
---
Wario Ware
SSX Blur
Cooking Mama / Godfather
Super Paper Mario
Mario Party 8
Big Brain Academy / Pokemon Battle Revolution / Metroid Prime 3 (rumor)
Guilty Gear XX (only game I saw listed for July)
??
??
??
??

To clear some things up. The first Three months were based off of review scores (yeah I know, boo review scores) with the exception of Cooking Mama that got a 5.8 form IGN (I know, I know get off my back already) But cooking mama could be one of those games that captures that whole casual market crowd. Also Godfather seems to be getting decent reviews, who knew? Booth system's have games with no release dates set other then fall '07. Metal Gear 4, Rachet and Clank, Devil May Cry could easily get the number #1 spots for their respected months for the PS3. For the Wii there are hardly any release dates announced after June, plenty of games, but no dates. Hopefully Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers, and MySims will all come out this year.

After looking at the list the PS3 does have a decent line-up and that's not even counting LittleBigPlanet or Home. Wii on the other hand is a little less exciting, but the month of June will all be catering to casual games, crazed Pokemon fans, and Nintendo Fanboys all in the same month! Lets hope for the other months that Nintendo will have some killer titles on the way.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline shock223

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 10:56:43 am »
the Wii right now is on top (number wise) but i see the 360 coming through by the libary of games that are coming out for it.

Offline skateboarding118

• Atari Combat Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2007, 10:47:03 pm »
I really don't care about who wins the "Console War". Personally, I just want to play worthwhile games, instead of some fanboy war. Don't get me wrong, competition is good, because it will make something better than another.

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2007, 01:15:56 am »
360 beat the PS3 star, 360 beat the PS3 star, in my wii and in my rar(e)
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2007, 08:09:38 am »
Scratch another exclusive off the PS3's list, and this is their biggest loss yet.

http://www.ps3center.net/story-394.html?PHPSESSID=b74f8a842e7af06576dbccea5054cf35

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2007, 12:02:11 pm »
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2007, 03:04:38 pm »
Oh... ****...

That's really bad...

What's left? Metal Gear and maybe (maybe) Warhawk and that dragon game?

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2007, 04:33:19 pm »
Before we all jump to conclusions that Final Fantasy XIII is headed to the 360 as well as the PS3, remember that the whole "Final Fantasy XIII universe" (*it's real name is some kind of Latin-sounding title) consists of five games.

We know that two of them, Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy Versus XIII, are on PS3, while the third game (forget the name) is headed to moblie phones. Two games are still unannounced, and whether they come to the 360, DS, Wii, or whatever, these remaining two games are merely spin-offs (i.e. Final Fantasy XII: Revenent Wings). While still exciting, this means that the "main" Final Fantasy XIII game is still exclusive to PS3 (though that could certainly change).

I know, it confuses me too. :D

*EDIT: The name of the series of five games is Fabula Nova Crystallis Final Fantasy XIII Project. Try saying that ten times fast!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 04:39:27 pm by Pilot4Life »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2007, 04:49:05 pm »
They should just start remaking older games.

More people need to play them anyway and I wouldn't mind watching Aeris die in awesome modern graphics and fighting Kefka with surround sound.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2007, 05:01:57 pm »
I have yet to play any of the old 2D Final Fantasy's (although I really want to!). Amazon has all of those PlayStation ports of the older games avaliable for $15 each, but I haven't ordered them yet.

That's something that I wish lots of other game developers would start doing with their long-running series': porting their older games onto a new console. I'd love to play Metal Gear Solid 4, but I want to play the original Metal Gear Solid for PlayStation first. Yet without spending outrageous amounts of money on eBay, that's impossible to do, so I'm lost right off the bat as far as story goes.

Offline GCool

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2007, 10:05:22 am »
The way I see it, from my experiance anyway; there are very few 'hardcore' gamers around me. My brother and I enjoy our games (me moreso, I suppose) as do most of the people I know, but we're not exactly dedicated to anything. My family have allways had ninty consoles though (My first console was a nes =]), and pretty much everyone I know has at one time or currently owns a gameboy.

Ninty has a larger and older fan base. the PS' fan base, around here, is mostly chavs, and most of them aggree that the Xbox is better.

Most hardcore gamers will go for the XBox, because it has the most mm games, and is HD, as well as the most console only games and biggest (ignoring the wii's back catalouge) selection.

Any gamer that has a social life will want to have freinds around to play, and at the moment, the wii is possibly the best for this, since it's the least impersonal.
Heck, I can imagine my neighbours (who are, what, 30 to 40 something?) buying a wii and playing it on drunken nights. It's that type of console.

The wii and xbox currently both have similar offers (you can get a wii + 3 games + 2 controllers and nunchucks for less than 270 quid, depending where you go and how smart you are, or an XBox with controllers, 2 games, some random extra stuff and a moth of gold membership for another 50 to 100) and their cheep enough that, within the space of months, you can buy both (and since most people will have an XBox allready, they can just pick up the wii). That's the best way to do it. You get most of the exclusives and all of the goodness, and people have cottend onto this.

The way I see it; if the PS3 isn't out in europ soon it'l loose it's place in the market, with the exception of the people who pre-ordered ages ago. Ninty and microsoft are inadvertantly working together.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2007, 12:02:23 pm »
As per this topic's title, have you all seen how many units Nintendo has moved since November?

They've jumped Microsoft's halfway mark.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2007, 12:57:18 pm »
The way I see it; if the PS3 isn't out in europ soon it'l loose it's place in the market, with the exception of the people who pre-ordered ages ago. Ninty and microsoft are inadvertantly working together.

PS3 is out in Europe. It's not - well, actually, it is Sony's fault that they're hardly selling any.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 01:05:35 pm by /lurk »
Not a winner anymore.

Offline vonboy

• Centipede Crackerjack
  • the tiniest evil thing known to man and willosaurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2007, 01:51:34 pm »
are the wii's sales about 2/3 of the x-box's sales? i heard on this one site that the wii was like 6 million, and the x-box was like 9-10 million. don't know how reliable the figures are, though.
Quote from: ilikedirt
your spores are wack

Fatal Error: You're creature is crap. You're computer will now explode.

check out my sporepedia page!
http://www.spore.com/view/profile/vonboy

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2007, 02:48:25 pm »
VGChartz has the Wii at about six million seventy five thousand units sold.

They are pretty good.

Offline Len84

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2007, 02:53:49 pm »
I own a 360, I want a Wii, I don't want an PS3. I'm a former hardcore turned Casual gamer.

Sums up my opinion.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2007, 04:27:58 pm »
I still can;t get over how fast the Wii is still selling.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2007, 04:39:09 pm »
And to think about the people who were complaining about its $250 price-point when it was first announced! I bet the Nintendo execs are super-glad that they priced the thing the way they did.

I wonder how long it will continue to sell like this?

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2007, 06:05:14 pm »
I wonder how long it will continue to sell like this?

I dunno; I don't think anybody does as we probably can't estimate it based on previous numbers. With all the 'non-gamers' buying the Wii, it'll totally throw off the numbers. Seriously, when I went in to buy my Wii, about half the people in line were there to buy the "Wii-gaming machine" (i.e. they definitely weren't into VGs before), and most of them weren't even parents buying it for their kids.

Anybody know the most recent sales stats for the 3 consoles?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2007, 06:11:39 pm »
Well, the stock "problems" should clear up as soon as Nintendo closes out their fiscal year which I believe is this month some time.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2007, 10:17:46 pm »
March 2007 Hardware + Software Sales

Hmm...not sure what exactly to make of this one...it's full of surprises!

While it's funny to see that the GBA is beating the PS3 in sales, the PS3 is doing fairly well given the situation it's in. The system sold 70K less than the 360, but considering the PS3 costs $200 more, doesn't have a "killer-app", and had no dramatic releases last month, it's doing much better than I'd expect it to.

While some say this shows that the 360 will beat PS3 sales, Microsoft really ought to be the one worried here. Despite having games like GRAW 2 and Guitar Hero II released, they didn't do all that much better than the PS3. Once PS3 gets to a reasonable price-point and some "killer-apps", then it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Oh, and the DS continues to dominate all, with the PS2 being the best selling console. Hey, next-gen costs scare me off too!

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2007, 11:57:37 am »
While some say this shows that the 360 will beat PS3 sales, Microsoft really ought to be the one worried here. Despite having games like GRAW 2 and Guitar Hero II released, they didn't do all that much better than the PS3. Once PS3 gets to a reasonable price-point and some "killer-apps", then it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

You do realize that the 360 has been out a year longer then the PS3 right, and they been selling more consoles then the PS3 every month and yes that's including Novmember and Decmember. Also Isn't Motor Storm one of their Killer-apps but they only sold 3-thousand more units over last month. just don't look at that 360 number that says they sold 29 thousand less this month then last. It doesn't mean a thing.... <_<  >_>
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2007, 04:25:55 pm »

You do realize that the 360 has been out a year longer then the PS3 right, and they been selling more consoles then the PS3 every month and yes that's including Novmember and Decmember. Also Isn't Motor Storm one of their Killer-apps but they only sold 3-thousand more units over last month. just don't look at that 360 number that says they sold 29 thousand less this month then last. It doesn't mean a thing.... <_<  >_>

But with all the new games being released for the 360, it shouldn't have the PS3 following so closely behind, and it shouldn't be getting beat by a 7+ year-old system. PS2 sales have beaten 360 sales every single month that the 360 has been out, and it's been out for over a year.

If anything, this slower adoption rate better mean that this next-generation of systems will last longer. If Microsoft undercuts again with 4 years, then people will be upset. 

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2007, 06:26:35 pm »

But with all the new games being released for the 360, it shouldn't have the PS3 following so closely behind, and it shouldn't be getting beat by a 7+ year-old system. PS2 sales have beaten 360 sales every single month that the 360 has been out, and it's been out for over a year.

If anything, this slower adoption rate better mean that this next-generation of systems will last longer. If Microsoft undercuts again with 4 years, then people will be upset. 

You do realize that with a consoles sales aren't going to spike every time a new great game comes on the horizon; for instance, I mainly bought my 360 for some games that are just now coming out in the next month or so, and I bought my 360 in its debut week. Also, the best console of the previous generation always sees a jump in sales around this time because of an entirely different (read: poor) group of gamers.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2007, 01:19:52 pm »

You do realize that with a consoles sales aren't going to spike every time a new great game comes on the horizon; for instance, I mainly bought my 360 for some games that are just now coming out in the next month or so, and I bought my 360 in its debut week. Also, the best console of the previous generation always sees a jump in sales around this time because of an entirely different (read: poor) group of gamers.

Most people buy a system when there is a game that comes out on it that they really want to play.

Also, while consoles of the previous generation will continue to sell well initially after the new ones launch, I don't think that the PlayStation was still outselling the PS2 at this point last cycle. It probably just has to do with the fact that 2 out of 3 consoles this time around are much more expensive than last time.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2007, 07:56:11 am »
Yeah, I agree with you on that point. Consoles are getting too darned expensive. Plus, the PS2 has a much larger library of really good games than the PS1 did.

Offline Snapple

• Galaxian Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2007, 03:08:24 am »
the way i see it theres no point getting any of them until theres either a must have game or a clear winner, once theres a clear winner its always time to jump on the bandwagon

ah well, back to my pc games
Dentists should not have to learn about lactation