Author Topic: 360 won the console war?  (Read 17009 times)

Offline Secret|Service

• Rigel Rescuer
  • FOXHOUND
    • View Profile
360 won the console war?
« on: February 24, 2007, 11:14:48 pm »
It's very late right now and I haven't posted on this website for a long while, but I think it's the best place to discuss my ideas about gaming first hand. I'm not going to list the reasons now because I'm rather tired, but I believe that Microsoft has won the console wars. Agree? Disagree?

I'll follow up later with a more detailed explaination.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 11:17:27 pm by Secret|Service »

I'm on a highway to hell.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: 360 won the console war?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 04:24:40 am »
The wars not over yet.  Although the 360's early blitzkrieg maneuver gave it an advantage over the others, the Wii is currently attacking the unprotected creativity flank.  Meanwhile, the PS3 is losing strength because its supply lines to new games has run thin.

I love military metaphor.  And alliteration.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 04:33:16 am by neoadept »
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 07:43:35 am »
It's not who wins at this point, it's who loses. Whoever comes in last is going to have a hard time getting back up in next gen.

My winner prediction? N-Gage
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 09:23:11 am »
Way too early to tell. Two of the competitors have only been on the market for a third of a year. One hasn't even reached Europe yet! It won't be time to start finding a winner for at least another year or two.

Offline Xenomorph

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:25:39 am »
console wars....whoever wins, we gamers lose.

WE LOSE MONEY. LOTS AND LOTS OF IT!
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 09:33:25 am »
But we gain sweet, sweet gaming goodness. I think it's worth it.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 09:35:08 am »
console wars....whoever wins, we gamers lose.

WE LOSE MONEY. LOTS AND LOTS OF IT!

Competition = higher quality and lower prices

Or at least its supposed to. Sony just isn't playing their cards right. But if there were no console wars and all three big companies conspired together, perhaps video games would be the next oil industry?? Let's get raped at the gas pump and the VG stores!

Offline darkstar

• Vanguard Venturer
  • Cool looking UFO- Priceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 11:20:43 am »
the war is far from over, the 360 seems to be in second place to me, with the wii in first. However I don't really see them competing with each other as a number of people will purchase the wii along with a ps3 or 360. ps3 seems to be losing badly, but sales may pick up when some of their bigger exclusive games finally arrive (final fantasy XIII anyone?)
Those who think anything is possible have never tried slamming a revolving door.

Everything has a weakness against grenades ;)

Current Favorite Game- Spore

Waiting on:
Fallout 3
Starcraft 2

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 11:28:15 am »
(final fantasy XIII anyone?)

Final Fantasy XIII or Final Fantasy Versus XIII or I am so confused about Final Fantasy XIII... what are they doing?

:P

Here's how I see it... (I've compiled it from all the stuff I've read over the last year or so...)

Microsoft: Leader in quality - Wide selection and lots of good games.
Sony: Leader is power - What games it does have look amazing but as was implied, there are not many and even fewer good ones.
Nintendo: Leader in price - It's so cheap! Why not buy three? Some good games and a lot of crap and filler.

They all have tons of promise, especially Sony and Nintendo. Microsoft gets to play defensively, changing it's tactic to whatever the other two do, hopefully they don't do anything that Microsoft can not counter. Sony has a lot to live up to and if they can pull it off they deserve to win. Nintendo doesn't have a lot to lose but can't let it's guard down for a second because the Wii is going to drop off soon enough and then they will have to back up their customer's purchases with some good games.

Hopefully everyone does a good job and makes the gamers happy. But they won't...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:37:09 am by PatMan33 »

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:53:52 am »
Microsoft and Nintendo are leading by a fairly wide margin right now, but five years from now when the PS3 costs only $200, then the playing field will probably even out.

Wouldn't it be crazy to see each region have a different console leading? Wii in Japan, 360 in North America, and PS3 in Europe?

As long as they make good games at good prices, I will be happy.

Offline Devoid

• Qix Crazy
  • Join the resistance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 12:18:30 pm »
Does anyone else think Nintendo is going to release a console in a shorter timeframe than the normal 5 year cycle? They're smart guys. They had to know that the Wii's lack of power would hurt it down the road. Maybe they just knew that "down the road" wasn't going to be an issue because of a new system that plays like a Wii, but with the power to give it longevity. I think that'd really throw off the whole "next gen" thing, as suddenly there'd be a system a generation ahead of the others, who would be at their prime. Am I talkin' out of my ass, or have I got something here?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 12:22:36 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 12:26:53 pm »
It all depends on console sales. If the Wii continues to sell like hotcakes (much like the DS) for the next 5 years, then I see no reason why Nintendo should cannibalize those sales with a new console.

But if all the excitement around the Wii dies out in a couple of years, then I could see it happening.

You just have to be careful not to piss people off by short-cutting the console. That's what Microsoft sort of did with the original Xbox.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 12:31:05 pm »
A couple years? Think rationally now. The Wii is not going to sell this well forever. I give it till April, by then you can will be able to walk in and get one any day of the week.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2007, 12:38:08 pm »
The DS surprised many of us. I don't think anyone could have predicted what a massive success that system has been.

Of course, I don't think the Wii is going to match the DS's huge success...not even close. But remember, most of us figured we would not need to pre-order a Wii in the first place. We're now three months after launch, and the thing is still sold-out.

I'm not saying the thing is going to be a complete sell-out for a few years, but I do think that it will do very well initially.