Author Topic: A Newbies Guide to creature creating...  (Read 8548 times)

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
  • Readin this? You just wasted a second of your life
    • View Profile
A Newbies Guide to creature creating...
« on: February 24, 2007, 08:55:46 pm »
Ok so this should help newbies at making creatures that don't get flamed or Ignored (I still don't see why the Zolyg are being Ignored, they're quite original)

Index
1: Design for dummies
2: God Modded Critters
3: Visualize
4: Information
5: For all that Is good and great In this Universe, No wang creatures

1: Design for dummies:

What kind of design should a creature have? Well that's really up to you, but to get the best results follow a few simple steps.

1.1) Avoid Humans...and In general humanoid creatures. Creatures like the Torpals may resemble humans although they have a few key differences. First: they're not bald and ugly, they're covered In hair. Second: they have blue skin, third: look at the design of the head. It's a Biped but It's different, and here that's good.

1.2) Try to make your creature a surviver. A 77 Legged creature with no senses and 4 butts aint gonna go anywhere. Generally creatures evolve to fit there surroundings, so If you want a creature a certain way then give It a reason to be that way.

My newest creature the Zolyg may have a lot of limbs, but It has reasons for them...well Kinda. The ViS have a reason for their current shape after all don't they?

2: God Modded Critters:

God Modding Is essentially making your creature the most powerful and best creature possible avoid this!

2.1) OK so you can make a powerful creature, but It should have reasons for It's power and should also have let downs. Our 77 legged, 4 butted creature might be able to take a swing at an enemy and kill It, but all those legs are gonna get In the way.

2.2) A good way to avoid God Modding might be with a points System, much like In the Sims, you get a certain number of bars and have to Issue them out accordingly. Maybe try the same with your creature, start with 20 points or so with 5 categories and sort them accordingly.

3: Visualize:

3.1) There Is nothing worse than designing a creature, writing a lot about It and thinking It all through before you go, "WOOPS, I don't have a picture and no one knows what my creature looks like" sometimes It's a lot harder to explain physical attributes than to draw them. All creatures should have a picture within the first page. For best results first post.

3.2) Lacking In artistic skill?: If your not the best drawer then maybe ask someone to draw a picture of your creature for you. Heck there are plenty of great artists on this very forum alone.

Need a Drawing?

4: Information:

4.1) Probably (actually this IS) the main thing that makes a creature great, Info. You might want to start with a time line of events, starting with the formation of your planet or maybe the big bang. Maybe give a short (or long If you feel) back story to your creature, or maybe Just describe the creature Itself and later on make up the past, present and future stories about them as you go along.

4.2) *yawn* boring, nobody wants to have to read a post that has all the Information on your creature that there ever has been. Split It up and dish It out In small sections. Post, get some feedback, post some more etc etc... It stops people getting extremely bored and confused.

5: For all that Is good and great In this Universe, No wang creatures

That says It all, no giant penis creatures, no giant boobs, no vagina creatures that the penis creature attacks, Just no, nobody finds that funny, 'cept for the people that post 'em.

I'll add more If I think of anything else. Now newbies can't get away with the humans *evil, demented smiley here*
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 09:51:33 pm by sltlamina »

gec05

Re: A Newbies Guide to creature creating...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:37:45 pm »

3.2) Lacking In artistic skill?: If your not the best drawer then maybe ask someone to draw a picture of your creature for you. Heck there are plenty of great artists on this very forum alone.

What? No reference to my amazing thread?

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 09:40:11 pm »
You know the part that practically says people have attention spans?

Yeah, I don't have one and I wanted to get It done quickly, like I said I'll edit It when I get Inspiration. Yeah I'll add your "Amazing thread" (I was gonna reference and link to It but I got confused).

gec05

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 09:41:45 pm »
S'alright... :)

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 09:43:32 pm »
Thar we go :)

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 09:52:28 pm »
Added, No wang creatures.

It's Just plain unfunny, though I don't think there's actually been any here yet...YET, ya here me?

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 09:52:47 pm »
aww, thanks for referencing my guys  ;D

good post
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 10:03:42 pm »
aww, thanks for referencing my guys  ;D

good post

You're welcome :) how could I not though, they're 4 armed awesome monkeys.

I have plans to make a regular money In spore with a little twist, as well as 2 arms In has 2 scythes *grins evilly* oh yes, there will be blood...and some guts.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 10:05:10 pm »
You should put in the unwritten dragon rule. No fire-spitting mythological flying lizards.

Offline operaghost21

• Rush'n Attacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 10:07:42 pm »
You should put in the unwritten dragon rule. No fire-spitting mythological flying lizards.

or furries. no furries.
"You hate people!"
"But I love gatherings. Isn't that ironic?"
~Clerks
Quote from: Kaizer
THINGS TO DO:
Get quoted to a sig [ ]

gec05

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 10:09:02 pm »
And no copyrighted characters and syndicate either. (Pokemon, Star Wars, Various Cartoons, etc...)

Offline sltlamina

• Sinistar Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 10:09:52 pm »
Fire Breathing seems possible.

Have an Internal Hydrogen Sack, some bones with a high iron percentage, a sphincter muscle to control the strength of fire...oh and some Inflammable, heat repellent liquid on the throat muscle. Bones click against each other, spark Ignites hydrogen and It breathes fire :)

...or so It should work, I read It somewhere else and made one or two changes.

And Yeah...you mean Furbies? I hate those, they freak me out...and no pokemon...aye.

gec05

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 10:11:31 pm »
No, furries not Furbies!

Actually, both of them, no.

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 10:12:49 pm »
Fire Breathing seems possible.
Expanation...

I never said creatures couldn't breath fire, just not the ones that just happen to look like mythological flying lizards  ;)

Edit: oh, and no giant floating smilies

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 10:13:12 pm »
I want to see a flying lizard of fire breathing. Now I will have to defeat you! More dragonly than HuckBucks too. Just let me magicly summon ted the scanner

Though yeah furries suck ass and should all die. They should all become real, so we can finally kill them all.