Author Topic: PS3 Games: Does it Pay off to Make Them Look Better?  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
PS3 Games: Does it Pay off to Make Them Look Better?
« on: February 21, 2007, 09:55:55 pm »
Despite the miniscule-to-none graphical differences we have seen in PlayStation 3 games versus Xbox 360 games, it is a widely accepted fact that the PlayStation 3 is in general a more powerful system (although how much more powerful is up to debate). The general concencus seems to be that the 360 is easier to develop for than the PS3, but once you learn how to develop for the PS3, you can get more out of the machine.

Obviously, if the PlayStation 3 is more powerful than the Xbox 360, then developers will take the time to make their games look better on the PS3 version, right? Well, not necessarily, and it's an issue that could help make-or-break Sony's console dominance in the long run.

But look at it from the developers' point of view: Why should the developer spend the extra time and cash making the PS3 version of a game look better and take better advantage of the hardware, when the developer can just port over the 360 build? Now sure, they'll probably make minor tweaks here and there to make the PS3 version have a more "polished" look to it, but when development costs are reaching the tens of millions of dollars, it really doesn't pay off for the developer to make the PS3 version of a game look better than its 360 counterpart, especially when the PS3 has only a fraction of the install base of the 360 (although the install base of the PS3 versus the 360 may change over time).

Keep in mind I am only talking about cross-platform games here; obviously PS3 exclusives and first-party titles will be sure to take full advantage of the system, as can be seen in games such as Motorstorm and MGS4. But for third-party's, does it really pay off for them to make the PS3 version stand-out graphics-wise or content-wise? I guess we will have to wait and see in the coming months and years ahead.

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 Games: Does it Pay off to Make Them Look Better?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:52 pm »
No, if people are going to buy the game there going to buy the game. Does it make difference to the Developer if they sell more of the PS3 version of the game or the 360 version? I don't think it does. Now they could look at the numbers and see where it sold more and decide where to focus there efforts. Also there could be a chance that they might make different amount of money per game sold based of of licensing agreements and what not. So they might make $30 per game on the 360 where as they might make $30.19 on the Ps3 version, they might want to try to make there game look that $0.19 better.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 Games: Does it Pay off to Make Them Look Better?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 07:39:46 am »
No, if people are going to buy the game there going to buy the game. Does it make difference to the Developer if they sell more of the PS3 version of the game or the 360 version?

Not at all, which is why the developers may not choose to take advantage of the PS3's extra horsepower, as it simply doesn't pay off right now. Remember, the 360 has about 5x the install base of the PS3 right now (2 million vs. 10 million) so it is much more likely for the 360 version of a game to sell better than the PS3 right now.