Author Topic: Government RP  (Read 13397 times)

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
Government RP
« on: February 21, 2007, 07:10:26 pm »
I've had this idea for a while and so i finally decided to put it into play. This isn't really connected to the current RP world on Gamingsteve, but is instead in its own universe. The rules are after the little introductory. I don't really expect this to work, but i hope some people decide to join...

Overview
The Yukan Republic is in chaos. The borders are heavily manned after an uneasy peace was made between the Yukan people and the Imum 'Invaders', ending the First Galactic War with the taste of defeat in every Yukan mouth.
Pirates are a major problem within the outer worlds of the Yukan Republic. Trade has come to almost a complete stop because of the raids, while many civilians live in fear at the abesence of policing forces. Many different factions have arisen throughout the colonies calling for the downfall of the current government and for full power to be put into their own radical leaders preaching hate against the Imum Empire.
Along with the pirates is the Omom race, a small group of barbarians. They are the remnants of a once glorious race that ruled over several systems. Since then they have devolved into a group that has no real morales, only the want for power and wealth. Currently the Omom only roam the outer rim of the known galaxy, searching for their own relics and other artifacts that they can stumble across. That could soon change with the unrest of the Yukan Republic growing. But they could also be used against the Imum if war to erupt again...
Overall uneasiness has tossed the Yukan government into a vulnerable position as many people wish to see destruction rained down on the Imum people. But the government seems to only want peace, willing to give in to the many demands that the Imum Empire have been making. The time is ripe for taking power...

Starting Off
-You are a part of a small political group that has been growing in power. Recently you have gained the backing of the party and have been named leader.
--Create your own party as well as a character that is the leader. Secondary characters are allowed, but they aren't allowed a position in the current Yukan Senate.

-The current Yukan Senate is weak, and beforehand polls show almost every politician in power will be overturned, but the elections are still pretty open. There is enough time for bringing the people over to your side...
--Every once and a while new elections will be held, and different seats will go to different parties. There is a total of 500 seats.

-The different classes of Yuka are categorized into 5 sections:
1. Upper Class
2. Upper-Middle Class
3. Middle Class
4. Middle-Lower Class
5. Lower Class
--Each party will pretty much need to aim at one group. Later i will give the different % of population that each class has. After each new election the % will change due to certain things that might occur in between the elections. Try to predict which class will grow and begin to appeal to them...
---Like the different classes, each world is classified under a certain grouping:
1. Alpha Planet- These are the founding planets, mainly the industry of the Yukan Republic as well as the population centers.
2. Delta Planet- These are the inner worlds, but not part of the founding planets. These are mainly agriculutral and supply the Yukan Republic with food to survive.
3. Omega Planet- These are the outer colonies of the Yukan Republic. They are low in population. Their only real benefits are the resources that are located on planet, the real reason they were colonized in the first place.

Rules
-The power lies with the people. While each party has it's own 'military', using it would be unwise and lose favor with the people. Instead the crafty use of media as well as secret propaganda would be more wise.
-'Wars' can be declared between the parties, although it's not what you would think. Instead of full out firefights, agents are used in 'taking out' certain political people. These are 'wars'.
-There are no coups within the government. No one party can take over the entire government through an uprising. The only way to gain true power is through political manuevering and gaining the backing of the people.

I'll post more info as it comes along. Feel free to ask questions about things that might not be too clear. Go ahead and suggest things too.

Senate Election Results
First Election
Conservative Party- 73
Liberal Party- 87
Yukan Militaristic Trade League- 74
Yukan Nationalist Union- 74
People's 'audeti Union- 97
Yukan Scientific League- 32
Social-Liberal Party- 56
Other-7

Bills

In the event of a proposal, each creator chooses which way their party votes. Remember, each party is pretty much a totalitarian system. Pretty much all votes will go one way, because if they didn't, some sort of accident might occur to the Senators that didn't vote accordingly...

3/5 (301/500) votes are needed for the passing of a bill. And here's another little thing i'm adding.

There are two Consul positions in the Yukan Senate which act as a figurehead. Their elections are at seperate times as the Senate itself. The two highest parties elect one of their own to the seat of Consul. If that party has over 300 seats, then they are able to choose both of the Consuls. There has not been an election of the Consuls yet, so the Liberals still have both Consul positions.

Consuls have the ability 'veto' a proposed bill. This forces the bill into a re-vote in which 4/5 (401/500) of the senate must approve.

Active Bills

Civil Service Bill Revote
A Senator of the P'aU proposes that exams are taken to approve entry into the Yukan Government. It also proposes that positions deemed wasteful be abolished.
Civil Sevice Bill Re-Vote Results
Total Aye! 374     Nay! 0
-(P'aU Votes) Aye! 97
-(YMTL Votes) Aye! 74
-(S-L Votes) Aye! 56
-(YNU Votes) Aye! 74
-(Conservative Votes) Aye! 73

Emergency Consul Election
An Emergency Consul Election has been proposed by the S-L Party. If approved the current Consuls will be ejected and new ones will be filled by the largest parties in the Senate.
Emergency Consul Elections Results
Total Aye! 226     Nay! 87
-(S-L Votes) Aye! 56
-(P'aU Votes) Aye! 97
-(Liberal Votes) Nay! 87

Resolved Bills

Civil Service Bill
A Senator of the P'aU proposes that exams are taken to approve entry into the Yukan Government. It also proposes that positions deemed wasteful be abolished.
Civil Sevice Bill Voting Results
Total Aye! 333     Nay! 0
-(P'aU Votes) Aye! 97
-(S-L Votes) Aye! 56
-(YNU Votes) Aye! 74
-(YMTL Votes) Aye! 74
-(YSC Votes) Aye! 32
Passed!

Vetoed!

Reduction of Taxes Bill
A Senator of the YMTL proposes that the taxes be lowered from their current 17% to 5% for businesses and 10% on population.
-Possible amendment, change the taxation for business to 7% and taxation for population on the basis of higher taxation for the wealthy and lower for the poor.
Upper Class- 20%
Upper-Middle Class- 15.5%
Middle Class- 11%
Middle-Lower Class- 6.5%
Lower Class- 2%
Reduction of Taxes Bill Voting Results
Possible amendment must be resolved through debate or agreement... An agreement has been reached. The possible amendment has been approved...
Total Aye! 244     Nay! 217
-(YMTL Votes) Aye! 74
-(S-L Votes) Nay! 56
-(P'aU Votes) Aye! 97
-(YNU Votes) Nay! 74
-(Liberal Votes) Nay! 87
Failed!

Current Events
Current Events #1
With so many seats taken by parties that call for a build up in the army as well as fighting against pirates, the Imum have recently stepped up their funding of pirating ships, and have issued threats to the Yukan Republic, calling for the removal of these aggresive parties. These threats are mainly directed at the liberals themselves, pushing them to keep control in the Senate with their Consul positions...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 07:02:42 pm by josasa »

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
Re: Government RP
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 07:57:02 am »
Sounds very Interesting. Should I make a Bio for my character and party?
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 08:53:42 am »
Man, I really want to get in on this, but I'm not sure I'll have the time right now. Might it be possible to join at a later date?

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 04:05:36 pm »
Man, I really want to get in on this, but I'm not sure I'll have the time right now. Might it be possible to join at a later date?

I don't see why not.

And yes Balth, go ahead and create those on this page.

Offline Daan

• Lode Runner
  • Cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 04:24:46 am »
I'm willing to join, very interesting :) I'm just a bit puzzled as to what a Yukan looks like.

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 07:53:57 am »
The Yukan Militaristic Trade League
"As you know, The Yukan Trade League is aiming at bringing trade back to the Yukan Republic, and defeating the Pirates who have threatened it. Without trade, where is the civilization? Currency is the lifeblood of Civilization. For this purpose, taxes on trade, imports and exports will be lowered greatly, and the Pirates will be targeted by the military. Grants shall be given to those who seek to set up business to make it easier for them. Money for the Governement shall instead be charged through heavy fines for breaking the law. Those who can not pay the fine are conscripted into the army,which shall be employed as a policing force and as pirate hunters. Harsh laws and punishments are promised to the people of the Republic, to deal with the criminals and anarchists. The YTML works tirelessley to ensure control of the chaotic world, in order to bring more money, industry and business into the Yukan Republic. The more industry, the more jobs, the more goods, the more money for all.

The YMTL: Control, Currency, Compotence."

The YTML was founded my Vukul Tumum, who is the current Leader. It is a right-wing party that advocates harsh laws and the creation of a Police State, and promises to bring security and safety to the Republic through force. It's other major aim is to encourage business and industry in order to bring money to all, through an ecnomic boom. They believe this boom can only be achievved with help from the Governement. They are against war with the Imum, but for attacking the Pirates and the Omom for self defence. They believe money must be kept in the hands of a select rich, who can invest it and make it grow, rather than divided among the lower classes who shall never spend it.

Vukul was born to a Merchant Mother and a Soldier Father. He is modertaley rich and is well known for being a firery and passionate man, although he has a tendency to overreact.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 12:53:40 pm by Balthamael »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 09:24:52 pm »
I'm willing to join, very interesting :) I'm just a bit puzzled as to what a Yukan looks like.

I don't know. If anything i'd like to leave it a mystery...

Nice party Balth. Anyway here are the statisitics i promised...

Class Populations
Upper: 3%
Upper-Middle: 17%
Middle: 33%
Middle-Lower: 26%
Lower: 21%

Alpha Systems: 14
Delta Systems: 23
Omega Systems: 8

After the war with Imum, most of the Omega Systems were taken, as well as some of the newer Delta Systems. An economic crisis ensued because of the lack of incoming resources. The stock market took a large hit, decreasing the wealth of the Upper class tremendously. Only those that got out in time were able to 'survive'.
As if to increase the hurt, the Senate drew funds from the rich, spreading it out to the Middle Class in an attempt to increase the production of the Yukan Republic. Thus the lower classes expanded in size to their current levels and the upper class shrunk to its size.

Current Political Parties
Conservative Party- This party was the one that ruled during the time of the Yukan-Imum war. Because of the loss, this party lost many of its representatives, and that of its power. Their power was even more weakened by the diminishing numbers of the Upper class.

Liberal Party- This is the party currently in power. Their inaction and their tendency to give in to the many Imum demands have weakened their overall status in the political arena. Their lack of power is the reason why so many other parties could easily take control.

Current Senate Seats
395 seats belong to the Liberal Party
82 seats belong to the Conservative Party
23 seats belong to various poltical parties

Offline TaylorFlame

• Adventure Ace
  • LOOK A MUSLIM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 09:56:23 pm »
The Yukan Nationalist Union
We shall go forth as one.

"The YNU strives for a unified nation, in which everyone is equal, and part of a whole. We will to defeat the Imum, and destroy their people, as a unified race. No Yukan is any better or worse than another Yukan, but a Yukan is far superior to every other race in the Universe! Wealth will be shared, as the poor need money, while the rich waste it on luxuries! The people are what this nation relies on, and it is people like you that are needed to embetter us as a whole. Rebuild our economy, join our military, embetter the state and we will be unstoppable and great, and our people shall revel in their own glory! We can not tolerate law-breakers, as they will corrupt our nation. Enemies will not have a chance to strike us, as we will strike them first. No-one will grow hungry, and no-one will watch while others starve. My fellow Yukans, I will lead us to a new golden age!"

The founder and leader of the YNU is Unak Ekal. The YNU is very left wing, and it wishes to bring unity to the people, so that they can act as one being to make the state more powerful. It believes that a few must be sacrificed for many, and many must be sacrificed for the state. They want to defeat their enemies, destroy the pirates, and become a galactic superpower, for the embetterment of all. They believe that with expansion and growth comes a better economy, and so that is a lesser priority. They believe no-one should ever have more money then they can handle, and therefore, they share everyones wealth to make them equal. They concentrate mainly on the Alpha Systems, as they beleive industry and people are the keys to success.

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 07:17:17 am »
The People's 'audeti Union

"From the moment our race first touched the skies, obsession with progress and expansion has gripped the aristocracy in power. The only thing the blue-bloods in the Senate cared for was the latest technological marvel to install into their palatial estate-stations! Blind confidence in laissez-faire economics and society... Arrogance! Indeed, arrogance has led us to these dark days. When Yukans support a system of governance that accepts the oppression and destitution of 47% (Almost half!) of our civilization's population, then you know that we are truly unworthy of the favor of 'audet!

And now that we are in these times of strife, what does the new 'liberal' government promise? Nothing! Our poor must pay outrageously high taxes to support the bloated Bureaucracy… A government that does not give back to the people, but expands that corruption through political patronage and nepotism! All the while they give in to every minor demand of the Imum barbarians!

Perhaps you look at me and see a country bumpkin, filled with naïve idealism, and promoting an ancient and irrelevant faith in ‘audet. But, have we not seen what the last 300 years of rule by cosmopolitan aristocrats has given our Republic? Destruction, destitution, and demoralization! To strengthen our Republic, we must first strengthen its people. Social justice must be ensured, government corruption must be minimized. The outsiders and pirates must either be absorbed into our political system or obliterated; they cannot exist as they do now—a festering tumor on the side of our sickly society.

P’AU: Help Us To Bring Back Eden".

The P'AU is the result of the combination of various 'audeti (a minor Yukan religion) parties. The current leader is  Celo Uyata, a young and charismatic man from an outer rim Delta World. They support re-distribution of wealth and social justice for every Yukan, and they hope to one day re-create the mythical paradise in reality by strengthening the Republic and transfiguring it into a benevolent, and limited government. While they want to eliminate the Pirates, Omum, and Imum they are not particularly imperialist-- They would rather see the 'perfection' of the current Yukan Republic, then see its imperfect institutions spread even further across the galaxy (to the detriment of all). They derive most of their political power from poor farmers on Delta Worlds, and Miners of the Omegas, both groups feel intensely disenfranchised by the current regime. While they support industry and technological innovation, they feel that the government must not lose sight of who it is supposed to serve: The People.
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 09:03:34 am »
Nice parties everyone. I may post the new election results with news seats for each party and then i might add a new crisis. Otherwise keep posting what you want to do with the Republic...

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2007, 09:55:55 am »
I hope I can still join, Here I go:

The Yukan Scientific League:

We are at a turning point, these are days of crisis. Our race is much more in danger than it ever was. You might ask yourself whom do we turn to in these dark days and I have the answer: “Technology”. Since the cold dark nights many thousands years ago when our race was only in the cradle of civilization and a lightning bolt burst the near tree into flames we understood the importance of science in helping us in all the aspects of lives. Since the first Yukan ate the fruits that he or she himself grew we understood the importance of technology. Since the first Yukan scout stood on the highest hill and watched his enemies approaching we understood the power of knowledge.

Now you ask me, how can science help us now? Like the days of great famine when a genius Yukan invented the solution of crop circles and saved millions, like when the horrible plague of “Kanara” killed 20% of our population it only took the work of one man to find the cure and save the rest of us. Once more the work of brilliant scientists, the type that brought us to the stars and beyond, are needed, and the republic will once again be at peace.

There are three critical words when it comes to the solution of our republic’s great problem: “Technology, Science and Education”. With them no pirate would ever attack our vessels again, and especially no barbaric Imum would ever dare to meet us in battle.

This party was recently created by its current leader “Professor Jathonium Maldro”. It leans to the left though is mainly considered as a middle party that doesn’t believe in conquer but sees it as a possible solution if logical. They will mainly address to educated people, mostly the middle and upper middle class, though also the lower masses might seek refuge here from the raging politics with the promises of better life conditions that come along with science. Their main goal is to return order by increasing education to create a better economy, adding specialists to govern many aspects of life (Technocrats) and increasing the amount of money spent on agricultural, warfare and general science.

Offline Daan

• Lode Runner
  • Cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2007, 03:24:26 pm »
I hope I too can still join!

Social-Liberal Party for the Yukan

We ask you, the people of the Republic: why do we let the lower classes dominate our lives! Is it not WE who have worked to where we are today? They strive to bring their poverty to an end, a very nice idealism, but at what cost? US?!

With us in your government, we can assure you that your lives will improve! Peace within our borders will be kept, thanks to excellent police. With the police to keep justice in our decadent Republic, we will become richer than ever before!

We seek coalition with the Scientific League, their political views fit our own.

Now, view our glorious leader: Manas Mordril!

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2007, 08:35:29 pm »
Senate Election Results
Conservative Party- 73
Liberal Party- 87
Yukan Militaristic Trade League- 74
Yukan Nationalist Union- 74
People's 'audeti Union- 97
Yukan Scientific League- 32
Social-Liberal Party- 56
Other-7

The Conservative Party was able to keep most of its people in office because of the lack of party appeal in the Upper classes, as well as their promises to wage war on the Imum once again.
The Liberal Party took huge losses, but still remain the second largest party.
The Yukan Militaristic Trade League was able to make significant gains because of their promise of renewed economic growth, as well as their promises against the Imum. Their plan also promises a significant growth of the Yukan military.
The Yukan Nationalist Union was able to gain ground because of their appeal to the huge lower classes.
The People's 'audeti Union won the most votes because of their appeal to the lower classes as well as their promises to take out the Imum and the Omom.
The Yukan Scientific League didn't gain many seats because of their lack of so called 'action' by the people. While technology would be able to help the people, they would much rather prefer a stronger economy, or, most of all, revenge on the Imum.
The Social-Liberal Party for the Yukan was able to gain seats, but their lack of plans allowed the Conservative Party to steal most of their seats.
Other, several of the Omega planets elected smaller, unknown parties.

The leading party (People's 'audeti Union) is able to propose a bill which can be voted upon by the entire senate (each leader decides which way their party votes). The passing of the bill will bring greater power to the party which proposed it. But, depending on which 'class' you represent, voting against it could weaken your own power.

Offline TaylorFlame

• Adventure Ace
  • LOOK A MUSLIM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2007, 09:15:54 pm »
Huzzah! 74 seats!

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2007, 11:59:24 pm »
Huzzah! 74 seats!
Seconded!

"The YMTL would like to thank all those who voted for us in the last election. Soon we shall begin to put into play our proposals, perhaps the next election. We are very confident about the future.

Our first initiative is the Global Reduction of Taxes, in order to finance business and industry. This should make it much easier for people to set up businesses and buy consumer goods, thus giving up a healthier economy and putting us on the road to prosperity....not just for the rich, but for all: a richer corporation can pay higher wages, higher wages mean more spending, meaning richer corporations...As soon as you vote us into power, Prosperity will follow! As soon as you vote YMTL, The probelsm will be over! As Soon as you vite YMTL, Riches and Security will follow!

And of course, our second target: Military Dominance. We shall set up an Arms Industry straight away, controlled by the State. This shall give a boost to the economy, as long as supplying jobs, and spin-off industries. Then, when our armies are strong, we shall attack the Pirates. We shall bring them down and enslave them.

Our Third Target: Crime. With increased power given over to the Police, we shall be able to easily combat the criminals. Those among you who fear for your safety are wrong; those loyal to the Republic have nothing to fear. Increased Police Powers will eventually be done away with when the recent outbursts of gang violence and attacks on innocents have been dealt with. We also have a selection of new punishments: on the spot-fines, which should help the Government cope with lower taxes. Those who fail to pay the fines will be conscripted into the army or taken to Labour Camps to work off thier debt. This means every action done benefits our economy in some way.

The YMTL: Protection, Prosperity, Power."