Author Topic: "Microsoft Exclusives" Are Dumb  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
"Microsoft Exclusives" Are Dumb
« on: February 20, 2007, 07:20:26 pm »
So I'm probably in the relative minority here, but is anyone else becoming a bit annoyed with "Microsoft Exclusives"? Not to be confused with "Xbox 360 exclusives", "Microsoft Exclusives" are the games coming to both the 360 and PC, and a lot of them are popping up.

Between this, Live Anywhere on the PC, and Microsoft's CES Keynote, I'm starting to feel a bit cheated as an Xbox 360 owner. I bought the system for the great exclusive content coming to it, and I expected some of the great online features I had heard so much about. I was expecting to get an experience unique to that console.

But with so many games, such as BioShock, Shadowrun, C&C 3, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell 5, and others coming exclusively to the PC in addition to the 360, as well as Xbox Live and Live Aracde games coming the PC as well, I can't help but to feel that I bought a $400 extension of my PC into my living room, especially when many of these games will undoubtedly control better on the PC.

How do you guys feel about this? Do you feel you are being a bit cheated from your 360 experience with so many 360 games/features coming to the PC as well, or do you not mind so much?

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Re: "Microsoft Exclusives" Are Dumb
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:23:58 pm »
Personally I dont care i dont play PC games and they can put what ever they like on the PC. Even if I did it wouldn't bother me it just means I get to choose where I play my games.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:43:10 pm »
It's something you buy into when you get an XBox.

They've been doing it since the beginning of time and why not? They'll stand to make a fortune!

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:49:32 pm »
$400 is nothing compared to what I would have to pay to update my PC. Also I like playing games on my couch.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:00:48 pm »
I prefer playing on a console a hundred times over the PC (am I the only one who doesn't care for PC and mouse?). So for that reason, I bought a 360. I really don't care if my "exclusive" games show up on the PC or even the PS3. Share the love, I say. More people get to enjoy great games. Where can you go wrong?? (Although I do see your point...btw)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 08:26:52 pm »
I'll admit, I usually prefer console games to PC games; even shooters I prefer to play on consoles. But all of this PC/Vista stuff really has me worried: Why doesn't Microsoft just let PC games be PC games and console games be console games?

Sure, some games will work cross-platform, but when they port the majority of their 360 excusives to the PC, as well as 360 features such as Xbox Live, I begin to question what they are really trying to do.

And I still can't get over that CES Keynote... :-[

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 08:28:59 pm »
M-O-N-E-Y

What does that spell?

They can sell in both markets and not get strange looks from the vast majority of people since the markets are so sharply divided. It's a great plan!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 08:32:28 pm »
Oh no I understand selling a game on two platforms instead of one will bring in more sales of the game.

I just don't like that they are doing it. :)

DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS!!!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 08:35:41 pm by Pilot4Life »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 08:40:25 pm »
Yeah...

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 03:37:56 am »
but can you run those games on your pc?

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 04:41:35 am »
but can you run those games on your pc?

I would assume it's 2 different games. They release a 360 version of, say, Crackdown and a PC version. They're not interchangeable.

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 07:15:05 am »
no i mean if you have a beautiful game like alan wake and a crappy pc....well maybe a 360 will be handy then

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 07:22:26 am »
Maybe with DirectX 10, and in a couple of years when the game comes out, I will easily be able to.

That's not my point though. My point is that if I can get the same experience on my PC, why should I bother with a 360? I want a unique experience I can only find on that system, but this whole "porting the 360 to the PC" has me questioning my 360 purchase.

Heck, you can play Uno over Xbox Live with a 360 controller on the PC now! What gives?

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 07:44:41 am »
I would imagine that the 360 is cheaper than a comparable gaming rig.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 09:02:59 am »
Not to mention computer performance, but there might also / will likely be some games coming to both that will only run on the PC via Vista. So to play it, not only would you need a PC capable of handling it, you'd require an update of your OS that'll set you back some money and put your system's performance in question.

Yay.