Author Topic: A "Rebirth" in Last-Gen Gaming  (Read 4561 times)

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
A "Rebirth" in Last-Gen Gaming
« on: February 17, 2007, 08:35:26 pm »
With all three next-generation consoles now out, cost is starting to become a factor. With games going for $60, with added optional costs for downloadable content, videogames are becoming quite expensive for us early adoptors. But luckily for us, we have all the titles we missed out on last-generation to keep us occupied, and there has never been a better time to pick up these past games.

I myself am enjoying the incredible inexpensive-ness of older PlayStation 2 games, and I'm going back to games that I either haven't played or haven't yet finished, such as:

Kingdom Hearts I+II
Final Fantasy X, X-2, & XII
Okami
Shadow of the Colossus
Metal Gear Solid 2+3 (picked up both of these titles for $5 and $10, respectively)
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
God of War (and God of War II soon)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (Got it at launch, but never finished it)
Dragon Quest VIII (Might be too extreme for me, but for $20, why not?)
Rogue Galaxy (New Release!)
Resident Evil 4
Burnout Dominator
The Summoner (Launch title in October 2000)
Guitar Hero II

With all of these older games being so cheap, I can't help but to not pick up many of the games I just listed. I can easily skip out on next-generation games for the time being, as I am still having a ton of fun with my PS2. And who knows, maybe by the time I'm done with these PS2 games, the PS3 and its games will have dropped in price a bit.

So, with next-gen gaming taking-off, and, as a result, dropping prices for last-gen games, are you guys finding yourselves going back and snatching up the games you missed?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:19:50 pm by Pilot4Life »

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
Re: A "Rebirth" in Last-Gen Gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 08:50:21 pm »
Half way through the previous gen I discovered the joys of 2nd hand titles and as a result half my gaming library is 2nd titles. Some games I do get on release because I want them that much but sometimes its worth only just waiting 2 months and a game will be for sale $10 -$20 cheaper 2nd hand. I got Morrorwind for $17 2nd hand (It was an ex-rental from blockbuster that was sitting in the bargin bin at EB). Best investment I made even though I barely scratched the surface of the game with only limited time to play it. I got my $17 value out of it.

Offline Danzik

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 10:23:53 pm »
This is a pretty great idea.
I've been looking into picking up a PS2 basically for some of the same games you've listed above. 

Also, I've really been wanting to play some J-RPGs on a region free PS2.

I've found a good number of second hand games on Craigslist pretty cheap.  People realize Gamestop is just going to rip them off so they put the whole lot up for a fairly low price.  One note though, if you do buy something from Craigslist, be sure to take a couple friends to pick it up with you.  There have been people jumped and had their money stolen lately.

Oh, and if you end up not liking the PS2, you can always trade it for a tattoo;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:28:31 pm by danzik »

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 11:41:15 pm »
My proplem is that it takes to much effort to play my PS2. I have to unravle the controller, put in the disk, wait forever for it to load.... This newest generation has spoiled me so.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 03:38:21 am »
I finally broke down and got a PS 2 because there were so many games that I had missed out on that I felt I might as well get one and wait until the new consoles get cheaper. It did help that it was very cheap.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:35:04 am »
My proplem is that it takes to much effort to play my PS2. I have to unravle the controller, put in the disk, wait forever for it to load.... This newest generation has spoiled me so.

Hmm...do you keep your PS2 out?

See, I find the 360 to take a while to boot up, with load times, signing into profiles, etc. :-\

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2007, 08:00:26 pm »
I have to open a little door to get to my PS2.  My PS2 takes longer to load then my 360.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 09:39:39 pm »
it helps if different consoles are pluged into different TV's I need to switch AV cables to jump between 360 and Wii although in this age of backwards compatiblity i can play most games on the 360 so I dont need to dig out the xbox version1. Although morrowind if I want to play it I have it set up in my brothers room and the SNES and 64 are both into the ariel spot of the Tv in my room and the Gamecube is in the AV slot back there.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 01:24:17 am »
This is why I have found backwards-compatibility to be an important feature for me. It's not so much that I need it (I have enough space/inputs) but it is just much more convenient. I take comfort in knowing that when I get a PS3, all of my old PS2 games will work with it. So if I am enjoying my PS3, but decide I want to pick up We Love Katamari, I can do that and play all those games on one system.

Besides that though, I just started God of War, and I can only describe the game as simply "awsome". I'm about two hours into it, and I can't put it down. Luckily, once I finish the game, I have God of War II to look forward to.

Heck, if David Jaffe and his team can squeeze this much power out of the PS2, I can only imagine what wonders he can do with the PS3 in its inevitable God of War iteration.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
  • http://www.pbfcomics.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 08:48:33 am »
Although I like Sony about as much bloody diarrhea in my breakfast, I'm probably gonna cave in and buy a PS2 cuz of all those freakin awsome games. There's no point in buying a regular Xbox because all the good games for it are pretty much also on the PS2.

Anyways, the real question is whether God of War III will be PS3 exclusive...eh???

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 10:42:21 am »
Anyways, the real question is whether God of War III will be PS3 exclusive...eh???

Heh...of course it will be silly! :D

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 10:20:47 am »

Seeing that it's Sony's game, yeah. Unless the PS3 fails to an unimaginable level and Sony goes 3rd party or something. Heh.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 07:09:30 pm »

Seeing that it's Sony's game, yeah. Unless the PS3 fails to an unimaginable level and Sony goes 3rd party or something. Heh.

I'm just super-glad that Sony decided to go with God of War II on the PlayStation 2. Don't get me wrong, I'll get a PS3 when God of War III comes out, as it is becoming one of my favorite action games ever, but I don't want to spend $600 just yet.

But see, I don't want any of the "Big Three" to fail. Competition is good! Leaving any of those money-mongers alone is dangerous! :D

Offline Cobra

• People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 07:30:39 pm »
A 2 horse race could be interesting if one of the 3 go down. Still be nice to give Sony a big kick up the pants.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 07:57:24 pm »
A 2 horse race could be interesting if one of the 3 go down. Still be nice to give Sony a big kick up the pants.

Hell no! If it was Microsoft or Sony that lost, then the remaining one would rape all the consumers; because really, there's a huge chunk of gamers out there who'd rather play Halo or God of War with a regular controller than mess with the Wii. Nintendo can't really compete for that crowd. And if Nintendo were go out of buisness, that'd just plain suck! Why don't we just kill Jesus while we're at it?!

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 08:08:12 pm »

Hell no! If it was Microsoft or Sony that lost, then the remaining one would rape all the consumers; because really, there's a huge chunk of gamers out there who'd rather play Halo or God of War with a regular controller than mess with the Wii. Nintendo can't really compete for that crowd. And if Nintendo were go out of buisness, that'd just plain suck! Why don't we just kill Jesus while we're at it?!

Jesus? JESUS!? This is Mario we're talking about! Can Jesus shoot fireballs?

I'm really happy that I decided to trade in my GC and Xbox rather than my PS2 to raise funds for the 360. I'm having tons of fun with Shadow of the Colossus and Katamari. My PS2 is getting more use now than ever. But it does kind of make me question Sony's faith in the PS3. If they really think it would succeed, wouldn't it make more business sense to concentrate solely on the PS3? If the old well isn't dry, why drill a new one?

But Billet Witch is coming out for 360, and SSBB is coming for Wii, so the PS2 will be lonely again.
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 08:21:45 pm »
I think it was a very smart move for Sony to make God of War II for the PS2 rather than for the PS3. The original God of War sold so well because it was on a popular platform (the PS2) and the gameplay was super-fun, yet easy to understand.

Sony could have made God of War II for the PS3 and taken another three years building a new game from the ground up, or they could make it for the PS2, which would take a relatively short amount of time to churn out, furthur build up the franchise's popularity, and sell a lot more copies of the game. Then, by the time God of War III on PS3 is released, there will be many more PS3's out there, and people will be more familiar with the franchis.

Besides, it gives people something to play while they wait for the PS3's price to drop a bit, rather than going out and buying a competitior's product.

Offline Hizzah

• Bezerk Brawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 08:29:58 pm »
Yeah I sorta wish Microsoft gave a rat's ass about their last-gen console. That's one lesson I wish they'd learn from Sony. The PS2 is getting so many good games recently, that last year I was tempted to buy a PS2 instead of a 360, which I'm sure a lot of people did.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 09:17:14 pm »
I don't think it was really all Microsoft's fault; just about all developers abandoned the original Xbox once the 360 shipped.

The reason Sony and so many third-party's are still sticking to the PS2 and are still making games for it is because there are over 110 million PS2's out there. The number of potential buyers for a PS2 game is huge.

And I would reccomend the PS2 over any other console right now. There are simply a massive amount of games for the system, and now that we are getting to the end of the system's lifecycle, many of the system's AAA titles can be found for $10-$30. I've had my PS2 since 2002, and I still have a huge list of games I would love to play on the system.

Besides, the "new" slimline model is downright sexy! I still can't get over how tiny that thing is!