Architechture
0 (0%)
Fashion
0 (0%)
Pets
1 (12.5%)
Spaceships
1 (12.5%)
Biological Information (i.e. Skeletal and muscular systems, etc.)
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: The Communicants + Enslaved Races  (Read 31788 times)

Offline Tavenknaughtlin

• Intellivision Junkie
  • Indescenant-wrath in a box
    • View Profile
The Communicants + Enslaved Races
« on: February 16, 2007, 06:00:30 am »
Hey everyone, this is my contribution to the Spore community. This is a race that i've been working on for some time, and one that i'm incorporating into a Pen and Paper RPG, but I thought it would be cool to make them in Spore as well :). I hope you like them, because they don't like you  ;D Trust me, these guys are intergalactic jerks. (And please excuse my artwork, it was done on paper with mechanical pencil, and I don't know how to refine things with photoshop even if my life depended on it, lol).

The Communicants:

Homeplanet: The Offering, a supermassive artificial planet, created out of the shattered remains of The Communicant's true homeworld Tsii. Built in honor of their Walking God, the one who found it in his benevolence to spare them from the cataclysmic destruction of the planet in his attempt to rid the world of nonbelievers. It is a dark place orbitting a dying sun, and is covered by the twisted, abstract obsidian towers which are connected by brambles of mangled cables. Massive crags and splits line it's surface, revealing it's artificial nature. The planet is actually dead, relying on technology to merely spin. Food is delevered to the planet almost constantly, in order to feed it's large population. This is easily accomplished via The Communicant's many outlying slave planets and use of Disjunction (more on that later).

Physical Characteristics: The Communicants are a moderately tall race, measuring approximately 6 ft. when walking on it's hands, and can reach to about 9-10 ft. when balancing on it's powerful tail. It's hands have evolved from the point when The Communicants where once arboreal, having four grasping claws excellent for climbing. When not traveling with it's tail while on the ground, they retract the entire finger, leaving only the claws exposed and walk upon their new "foot". If at all possible, they prefer to swing and slither their way along trees or tall constuctions instead of travel along the ground. Their long tails are used as both secondary manipulator, climbing aid, and alternate method of locomotion. They have four eyes, which are able to see both in normal and ultraviolet light.  They have large nostril slits on the front of their "face", yet their sense of smell is actually quite bad.

Their long manes are actually very coarse hairs connecting to a vibration-sensative nerve cord, functioning as an ear. The Communicants can actually change which tones and pitches of sound they can hear by cutting the hair on their back. Long hair for deep sounds and short hair for high pitched. This allows them to hear a vast range of sounds, including infrasound and ultrasound. Most have their hair-ears cut short in the front, and letting it grow long in the back so they can hear the largest selection of noises. The mane-ear is very vulnerable to strong winds, nearly deafening them, so many wear a Listening Hat (a long head piece with openings for sound that protect the mane)

Their mouth is located on the bottom of their head, and is a very small mandible assembly that melds almost perfectly with the rest of their neck. Although this, along with other key physical structures, are often "Recycled" (i.e. removed) by the Walking God's followers upon birth, while adding other "enhancements".

They are by nature hermaproditic, being both males and females. In mating the two involved fertilize each other's eggs, making each one both mother and father. They each individually often lay around 30 eggs, and can mate approximately three times in a standard year. Because of this, they are constantly overpopulated, which is one of the reasons why the Walking God mobilizes his army in such a way. (see below)

Culture: Culture and art is strickly forbidden by decree of the Walking God unless it consists of His glory and depicts him in a glorious image. There will be no more talk of this lest you raise his ire.

But seriously, they are not allowed to partake in cultural or artistic forms of expression, unless it's about the Walking God, and only then if it flatters him. Religious ceremonies are except from this rule, for obvious reason. Although it is not in use as an art form anymore, Mathematics has always been a great interest for them. Their brains are structured to understand even the most complex algorithms and equations. It used to be the highest form of art during the Days Before Salvation, but now it is a strongly guarded and enforced secret, due to it's involvement with Disjuncting.

Religion: (By now your probably wondering who the hell this Walking God jerk is). The Communicants live only for their one and only God, the Walking God. He is called that since he is an actual living diety, and has the odd preference of walking on his "feet" instead of climbing. He looks just like the Communicants, except that he still has his mouth, and has no mechanical protrusions or connections on his body. The old stories of the church say that he made The Communicants in his image, only smaller and less powerful. He is borderline insane from the eons of life he as endured, granted to him by his mastery of Disjunction. He is possesed with the insatiable hunger for new peoples to convert and new worlds to enslave.

The Church is systematically ordered by the trustworthyness of the worshipper, with normal Communicants at the bottom, the Revealers in the middle (along with associated Holy Templars), and the Devoted at the very top, the only ones other than The Walking God that are allowed to Disjunct.

Technology: The Communicants are extremely advanced in the fields or mathematics and engineering. They have passed beyond all boundaries in the fields of Theoretical Mathematics. At the height of their old civilization, they understood and developed a system of physics that is know known as Disjunction. Using this system, they can alter, distort, even break the laws of normal physics, accomplishing feats unheard-of and seemingly impossible. Simple Disjunctions are often called Distorts, and are practiced often by the Devoted. The more powerful Disjucntions, such as levitating objects and teleportation, are extremely difficult, and require long periods of calculation, sometimes taking months for an advanced equation.

Using this powerful tool, they created many impressive structures and inventions, not the least of which is The Offering, their artificial planet. They also use this innovation for their complicated teleportation systems, allowing millions of tons of equipment and supplies to be transported anywhere, most specifically to their homeworld. It is also used for mass invasions, often involving billions of troops.

One of their most unusual inventions is thier mechanical legs that they use when travelling to places without trees or other overhead structures. The strange triple-jointed legs are incredably strong, very rarely break down, and can split from the "knee" down to provide a quadrupedal stand useful for stability. These are used by the Communicant battle troops, so that they may march unendlessly to the enemy.

Their most devious and unmoralistic inventions of all are the Faith Masks. These are a helmet that fits over the head and drapes over the backs of it's wearer, and delivers treatment based on the user's thoughts. If they would think of unacceptable thoughts of the Walking God, they would be shocked and/or burned by the mask's inner workings. Prolonged thoughts of such always end in death. Removal of the mask would also end in death, both by a super-potent neurotoxin injected in the face, and a small explosive device attached to the base of the neck. Frankly, he doesn't like insubordination. Once a species' brain patterns have been studied and analyzed, they could devise a more permanent mask called a Fanatic Mask. This doesn't repremand thoughts and actions, but changes them instead. The wearer would be forced into servitude, bereft of any willful thought other than the WG's wishes.

Every Communicant wears these.

Military:

The Communicant military is immense, spanning countless worlds and fielding hundreds of billions of troops. They don't utilize many vehicles, instead opting for massive columns of troops equipped with powerful battle armor and mechanical legs.

They are armed primarily with a special weapon called a Ribbon Sword, which is wielded on the wrist in a special housing. It is a molecule-thin lenth of metal which can be altered with varying abilites depending on it's intended use. It stays as a flexible ribbon when needed to quickly decapitate or dismember an enemy, by wrapping the length of the sword around the intended target and pulling back on it violently. It can be stiffened into a rigid blade when needed for swift strikes and deflections. The end of the blade is tipped with a sharpened wieght, useful for an opening close-range shot if it's propelled from the holding case quickly. It can also wrap around it's self along the length of the blade, making a sturdy rod useful for disciplining slaves and keeping order. Along all these, the Ribbon Sword can also be coated with a substance to increase it's usefullness. These can range from anticoagulants, tranqualizers, poisons and acids. It is a very versatile weapon, though it often leaves the warrior vulnerable.

Every military victory in the history of The Communicants was won by sheer attrition. They would be out-armed, out-manuvered, and out-classed by nearly every opponent they faced. But is was the overwhelming numbers of the Communicants that would end the day in victory. Millions upon millions of Communicants would fall in battle, a fact just fine by the Walking God. To Him they were mouths to feed, bodies to shelter. If they die, that means the recycling of the valuable battle armor and the flesh of the dead soldier, used to feed the many others. He would start interplanetary wars just for more slave labor and the prospect of some of his own soldier's deaths.

Some of the slaves, if they take The Walking God as his own, would be allowed to become Communicant soldiers themselves, although it is not much better than being used for labor and cattle as all the other slaves are used.

History: The history of the Communicants is a long and prosperous one (surprise suprise, sorry if your eyes are tired), up until the Days of Salvation. They lived as arboreal creatures, with massive homes built from Tsii's lush trees. Philosophy and the mechanics of Mathematics where the cornerstone of their civilization. There were wars, but it was primarily small affairs, and commonly about what the Race's name should be (which is ironic, since the arrival of the Walking God made the old name forbidden, now lost to the ebb of time). Most were content in living peacefully with his neighbor, and co-operating with study of the new fields of Disjuntion physics. Wonderous buildings and awe-inspiring technologies where created at this time, including the Teleportation nodes. Each saw the use of Disjunction as a great tool to better their lives.

Except for one

Before he was known as The Walking God, he was a brilliant Disjunction Physics professor name Oneight (pronounced Oh-nite). He had many great equations, focused on the inner workings of the body, instead of the extroverted beliefs of his peers. He soon found the calculations for greater strength, increased speed, and most importantly an expanded mind. Each one took decades of research and computations to accomplish, but he was still short of his ultimate goal: Immortality. He worked nonstop for his greatest wish, and near the end of his life, he stumbled upon it. After running the equation through his mind, with him as the input, he found his body was no longer wrinkled, his arms and tail no longer sore. He had awakened the power of immortality in his body, and became something that has never been before.

A Walking God.

He quickly destroyed his research. If any others should find it, they too could be as powerful, and worse, could possibly reverse it. He displayed his powers to his people, and became a hero in their eyes. He had done what no other could do. He used these abilities at first to help help his fellow being, stopping wars, saving those in need, and being the hero that they all thought he was. But then suspicion was raised. There was truly nothing that could be done to stop him. The different kingdoms of his world asked him to undo the process, their world could do without him. When he refused, they demanded his abilites be undone, under penalty of imprisonment until they could find a Disjunction capable of reversing his immortality. He destroyed the entire assembled dignitaries, adamant in his resolve.

He soon founded a following of those he had saved, and in truth thought of him as a god, to resist the onslaught of the surrounding kingdoms. He had built such an army that along with his powers, were unbeatable. He quickly defeated the global powers, and taking his devoted worshippers with him in a massive ship of his own construction, soon made it clear he would not allow any to control him again.

And with that came the Day of Salvation, where the world was ripped assunder and rebuilt under his guidance, as The Offering. The old race was gone forever, left in scattered pockets along the galactic colonies, where they too would be exstinguished. From then on was The Communicant, and the numerous worlds that they have conquered in their 3 million years under the control of the Walking God.

Done, I think, Lol, ok, I have more to the backstory, but that's enough for now. Most, if not all of this stuff can't be done in Spore (or at least untill the space stage), but I still plan to make them just for kicks.

Tell me what you think of them, and if you ever meet them in-game, be sure to roast the hell out of them  ;).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 08:15:46 pm by Tavenknaughtlin »

I have photo paint, Taven style yarr :P.

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
Re: The Communicants
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 09:09:53 am »
OH MY GOD!!!  :o

You are brilliant at that! you don't even need Photoshop!

Keep it up! MORE MORE!  ;D

Offline Tavenknaughtlin

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 09:38:29 am »
Thanks for your compliment  ;D. I'm not the best draftman around, but it's really nice to hear someone likes a drawing of mine.

Alas, i don't have many pictures of these guys. Although I have been wanting to draw more of them, this could give me an excuse to, lol.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 09:43:45 am by Tavenknaughtlin »

Offline BioCat

• Star Wars Padawan
  • Spore account name: RubyClaw, search me out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 09:58:25 am »
Wow very interesting. A race of cruel mathematicians :P.

Very nice :)!

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 10:07:07 am »
Wow. Just wow. Very exotic. Thumbs up for you :)
@davidramnero

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 10:08:38 am »
A race of cruel mathematicians :P.

I think I once had a teacher who was a Communicant!  :P

I shoud have figured.  ;)

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 10:13:10 am »
I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY like these guys for all the right reasons.
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Tavenknaughtlin

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 10:58:50 am »
Thanks everyone, i'm glad that you like them  ;D

I hope you guys get a kick out of this. I feel this will be a common thing when i'm playing with this race.

^note the missing part under the head. No mouth. Probably why he looks so pissed.

[edit] I just realized that I forgot to shade underneath their bodies. Dang, I always forget something, lol.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:03:07 am by Tavenknaughtlin »

Offline captainjp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 11:05:50 am »
Their giants!

Offline Tavenknaughtlin

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 11:09:07 am »
Well I did say that they are about the size of a person when on their hands, and they said that the Willosaur is about the size of a medium-sized dog. At least I think that's how I remembered it  ??? .

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 01:50:46 pm »
....wow....dude you NEED to join TAA.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 03:59:48 pm »
Oh... My... God...  :o :o

These guys are like something out of a classic hard-core sci-fi novel. I love 'em ;D

You might be getting a fan art from me soon  ;)

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2007, 04:03:27 pm »
me too..if i can find the time now.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 04:48:16 pm »
I like these guys they look cool :D

Offline Tavenknaughtlin

• Intellivision Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 03:03:25 am »
Thanks guys for all the compliments  ;D.

@a14gt: i'm not sure how the alliances work, but i'd be glad to join up  :D. And although The Communicant's space fleet is kind weak (they have a total of 5 ships, all for the WG's use), their infantry is vast. So that might come in handy.

[edit] : LOL, nevermind, i thought the TAA was one fo the alliances that are in the board. I really need to read up on everything first. I'm not that good of an artist, that last pic took quite a while, and i never color anything. So I don't know if I'd be able to help anyone out with their drawings. Might make things look weirder, lol. But if anyone asks me to draw something for them, i guess i could do it, just bear with me if it looks funky :D.

@ Darth Grievi: It would be really cool to see someone else's take on the Comminicants. Can't wait to see it  ;D.

@ Hydro : Thanks :), I was at first thinking of using a Naucean instead of a Willosaur in that last pic, but I like them too much to have my Communicant's be against them. The Willosaur seemed like a more suitable target, lol.

OH and a few things I left out in my first post;

Colorization: The Communicant's body color ranges from a light grey to a teal, with variations in between. Their mane is most commonly dark brown or black, with the extremely rare occurance of a white-maned birth. These are almost always killed before they reach adulthood, as they are seen as cursed and a danger to the Church. Why this is, no one knows.

Diet: At birth the Commincant's mouths are removed, and a large port is implanted in their back, connecting directly to their stomach. When wearing their Fanatic Masks, they are periodically feed a thick paste through the mask's internal tanks, to sustain the soldier. This paste consists of necessary vitamins, enzymes, and biological material garnered from dead soldiers and slaves who grew past their usefulness (along with assorted plant material from the planet-farms). Without the Mask and the WG, they would starve to death. This is the reason their mouths are removed, so they not only need the WG, they need him to merely survive.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 03:15:20 am by Tavenknaughtlin »