Author Topic: Don't you hate it when people think they know everything?  (Read 17521 times)

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
Don't you hate it when people think they know everything?
« on: February 15, 2007, 12:27:40 am »
Ill actually likely get made fun of by posting this..but oh well

Im only 18 so i still live with my folks and ill be staying for a year or two (now a days you almost have too)

Anyways my entire life i have had an extreme fear of spiders..i cant be around them..i cant kill them..i terrified of them.

Now for years my dad has told me its stupid and i mostly ignored it. But recently its gotten bad

In november  we moved into the countrey and our house is infested with lady bugs and flies..my room in particular. This has attracted numerous spiders into the house..not just any spiders. Hunters..they do not make webs. They hunt scuttleing across the floor and walls

My mattress is on the floor and last night the infestiation was really bad..so i slept downstairs away from the spiders

My dad crossed the line. He told me the fear is stupid and i am only scared of them because i have not grown up ..and i need to grow up..My dad knows nothing about my fear and that was a really ignorant thing to say *mind you he was screaming this at me*

Thier are therapy sessions for this and grown men are scared of spiders..yet i need to grow up?

He needs to grow up and stop thinking he knows everything

Can anyone relate to my fear of spiders so i don't feel so stupid?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 12:29:51 am by Urb »

Big Bang Theory: In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. Into something...yeah that makes sense :/

Offline Danger Mouse

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
Re: Don't you hate it when people think they know everything?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 12:47:30 am »
I hate spiders, I'd hate to have them be in my bedroom too.
Good Grief!

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 12:55:47 am »
its just a fobia you cant do anything about it....there are people out there who are afraid of pidgeons...or cats....or pickles

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Urb

• Akalabeth Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 02:20:16 am »
its just a fobia you cant do anything about it....there are people out there who are afraid of pidgeons...or cats....or pickles

Thats pretty much my point. I wish people who have no phobias could understand this..its unfair to call me immature. childish. or a wuss because im scared of spiders..by my father no less

Ive had to face many scary moments in my life..most of whitch without breaking a sweat..but being scared of one thing automaticly makes me a coward =dumb logic

Though due to the recent infestation i have been having nightmares
Big Bang Theory: In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded. Into something...yeah that makes sense :/

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 02:46:44 am »
I'm also afraid of spiders. As long as they keep a minimum distance of about 2 feet I'm fine, but if they get any closer I get stiff and start backing away (usually some things fall over in the process, sometimes they break like a vase or so).

I don't know why I am afraid of them, but there must be a damn good reason for it, although I can't see it. So, I don't see any point in banning (or trying to) this fear, since it fulfills a yet unknown purpose.
A lot of things don't make sense to me at the first glance, but it occured to me that some things I do affect other things I don't know about yet in a positive way. I'm just a lucky fellow, I guess.

example: Shortly before I started my studies at university, I bought myself a hat. I don't know why I did that, must have seemed to be a great idea at that time, because I didn't really need or even want one (and I'm all but a compulsive buyer).
Anyway, I had a hard time staying awake in some lecture halls (despite enough sleep and interest in the subject). Eventually, I found out that my drowsiness was caused by the poor lighting in the hall and that I can avoid the problem very easily by wearing a hat...
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 03:27:44 am »
I used to be afraid of spiders. My dad would also roll his eyes at me but slowly I got less and less afraid of them. Now I just can't stand them I can kill them or threw them out with no problem. I don't have any advice to get rid of your fear but you might want to talk to your father about it. Or get a cat, they eat bugs like it was candy.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 03:32:33 am »
Phobiae are irrational, that's generally the point of them. However...

My dad crossed the line. He told me the fear is stupid and i am only scared of them because i have not grown up ..and i need to grow up..My dad knows nothing about my fear and that was a really ignorant thing to say *mind you he was screaming this at me*

..is a fairly ignorant standpoint. My mother has arachnophobia herself - it bothers me yes, but I don't think less of her for it. She's.. what? In her 50s? I would hesitate to call her immature just based off some over-exaggerated pet hate, especially one that is fairly common.

Generally to beat a phobia you have to confront it, but do it steadily. Start by staring at them, watching them, and forcing yourself to remain in their presence, you'll get gradually better at it. I'm not saying pick them up or put them on your face or anything like that, because that's hardly what you'd do in normal circumstances. You'll probably end up still somewhat uncomfortable around them, but you won't be running away on sight of them any more. Besides, if you think spiders are bad look up House Centipedes. 30 legs are better than 8, after all.

Myself, I find being around people I don't know to be unsettling and by and large I avoid it as much as possible. It's especially bad when they pay attention to me for any reason - I just prefer to be unseen, unheard and unknown at all times unless I specifically wish otherwise. Kind of where the internet helps me in regard to social contact, I suppose. I don't actually know the "official" terms for phobia of attention and unknown people. I also on rare occasions (every few months or so) get what would appear to be Panphobia, upon looking it up - just a powerful wave of dread at no immediatley apparent target. At the time it feels like there's some paticularly tangible, overwhelming presence looking down on me through everything. Kind of an X-Ray Eye of Sauron kind of deal I guess.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 03:42:08 am »
maybe you should hire/but something to kill the bugs so that spiders wont think of it as a good hunting place

That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 03:51:17 am »
I'm sorry but you should just tell your dad to f** off. You have large numbers of spiders running across your floor, and your matress is on the floor, I don't think I know anyone who wouldn't be slightly freaked out by that. Also if there are a large number of flies in your room that can be very unhealthy for you. Flies are vectors for numerous diseases. I'd sugest convincing your parents to have the house fumigated, that or buy some powerful insecticide for your room, remove your bedding and cloths from there, then go nuts.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 04:20:36 am »
i know this isnt really nice to say but pll eat about 8 spiders in their sleep....in there whole life that is

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 04:53:43 am »
its just a fobia you cant do anything about it

Thats not true at all. People can get over fears through counciling, therapy, or whatever. Sometimes one particular experience can snap people out of a phobia.

It certainly has nothing to do with maturity though. You were probably involved in some traumatic experience involving spiders as a little kid, which youve since forgotten, but has stayed with you.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 06:08:36 am by Krakow Sam »
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 05:58:01 am »
its just a fobia you cant do anything about it

Thats not true at all. People can get over fears through couciling, therapy, or whatever. Sometimes one particular experience can snap people out of a phobia.

Exactly. You need therapy for your fear (which is irrational). I'd imagine irrationality is what your father meant, rather than "stupid". I'm usually highly mistrustful for kids who report that their parents said such and such and then come crying for support; he probably just wants you to get over it, as people often can with phobias. The alternative is that he doesn't realise it's a phobia and not a childish fear. Many children have childish fears that are completely ungrounded - did anyone used to be scared of the dark? - so perhaps he assumes it's this. Knowing you, I would imagine you haven't talked to him about it. Did you try doing that?

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 06:28:54 am »
I'm sorry but he has allot of insect life crawling around his room, if he didn't want to sleep in his room because of one spider I would call that excessive, but if you have allot of flies and spiders crawlign around the room you wouldn't really want to sleep in there either. Plus we don't know what country he's in. If its America and somewhere in the more temperate regions theres a good chance that some might be poisonous to some degree, even if not the flies in that room cannot be good for his health.
What have you got against intellectual midgets? They're quite smart little guys as far as i can tell.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 06:35:14 am »
I'm sorry but he has allot of insect life crawling around his room, if he didn't want to sleep in his room because of one spider I would call that excessive, but if you have allot of flies and spiders crawlign around the room you wouldn't really want to sleep in there either. Plus we don't know what country he's in. If its America and somewhere in the more temperate regions theres a good chance that some might be poisonous to some degree, even if not the flies in that room cannot be good for his health.

lol non sequitur
You said that five posts up.

Offline Werechicken

• Starcross Space Cadet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 06:41:25 am »

lol non sequitur
You said that five posts up.

Indeed I did, however it's still a pertinent issue