Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 400129 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #5190 on: April 04, 2017, 07:24:56 am »
Ah, I still have to catch up on last season.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: April 04, 2017, 09:12:29 am »
It's been a thing for way longer than Portal.  I remember in high school, people quoting lines from movie trailers.  Stupid thing isn't even out yet, you don't know the context or if it's going to be any good.  I still make movie and tv references all the time, but usually it's something I've actually seen.

You know what else is great?  Waking up to the sounds of loud stray cat sex outside your window at 2:22 AM.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
  • Bbrrrraaaaaiiiiinnnnssss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: April 07, 2017, 09:30:45 am »
Context: We had an assignment in school to do a presentation for our class. Nothing big, ten minute presentation, but the subject matter was not simple. So I spent a fair amount of time working on this presentation between Tuesday (day it was assigned) and today. We delegated who did what topic via facebook group.

Event: The following is the transcription of a facebook chat log between a classmate and I. Italics/Emphasis mine.

Classmate 11:18AM
Yo not trying to jew you but I called the blood volume and pressure topic last time we were in class
And I've had it done for the last few days

Me 12:50PM
Wait really?
Ok. Take it. I'll present something different Monday.

Classmate

If anything we can present together
Unless the prof really cares which I doubt

So uhhhh...what the ****, Polish classmate? You know I'm Jewish, ethnically. Go **** yourself dude. Also, I definitely claimed the topic in class and via our facebook thread organizing who did what presentation. But whatever, I'll take the fall this class. The assignment scheduling issue is pretty minor, I can make that up.

Highly considering telling our school administration about this, maybe he'll actually face some consequences. This same classmate once tried "to summon" me by sprinkling pennies over the ground. I have a large amount of animosity towards him. On the other hand, in two weeks I start a month long nursing clerkship and he is in my group (group size is 3 people, total.) Might just be easier to roll with it and harbor a deep seated private hatred.

edit: Maybe I should have called him out on it directly at that moment, instead of rolling over, but...I dunno. Maybe I'm too non-confrontational.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:40:55 am by Gungnir »

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: April 07, 2017, 01:06:26 pm »
God damn dude, that's actually really ****ed up :( Maybe you should bring something like that up

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: April 07, 2017, 03:21:27 pm »
Yeah that's messed up.  I forget, you're still in the States, right?  Somebody's studying medical stuff over in Europe I think.  Do you get the impression that he's doing this stuff in a bad attempt at joking around, or he's a douche?

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: April 08, 2017, 02:56:45 am »
I'm the one you're thinking of. Medical school in Poland.

It's not the first time this guy's said something like this, but it's the first time he's said it to my face after he knew I was Jewish.

Incident 1) First night I'm here. I got invited out for drinks in the city's historical Jewish district. Other people had already arrived, and they were ordering beers. They were marginally more expensive than at other bars. As I get to their table, this guy says "Man, this place really is Jew-y." At that point I introduced myself, and considering that my name is pretty unmistakeably Jewish, he realized his error and started making excuses for himself. "You know I was just joking right? We cool, bro?"

Incident 2) We had a class in a hospital and after we finished, I went to the restroom. Someone noticed I was missing, and was concerned that I had gotten lost. The guy I've been talking about apparently said "Hold on, I'll summon him," and began sprinkling loose change from his pocket onto the ground. I heard about that second hand though.

So I think he's both trying to joke around, and a douche.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 03:23:33 am by Gungnir »

Offline Great Distance

• Gyruss Gyrusian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: April 08, 2017, 03:03:49 am »
I also know one guy who makes Jewish jokes, and I have never understood what compels one to do it. A misguided attempt to appear tough, maybe.

Personally I find it to be in poor taste.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: April 08, 2017, 03:25:10 am »
I should probably address it with him but the thought of confrontation gives me the willies.

Also I have a month-long nursing rotation/shadowing thing with him through May, so I'd rather not have him upset with him during that time.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: April 08, 2017, 03:35:43 am »
Nah man come on, you have to say something to him. If not for your own sake then for the sake of any other jewish people he might come into contact with over the years.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #5199 on: April 08, 2017, 03:57:55 am »
If you're really this disturbed over it, you should probably say something. But you also shouldn't just go in guns blazing and SLAMMING this guy for what he said.

I like to err on the side of people being dumb, rather than malicious with most things. And it usually turns out that such a stance is warranted. I could be wrong, of course. Maybe he is Hitler. But probably not. I've heard a fair number of people still use "jew you out" of this or that and not really mean anything bad by it. They're just using a really antiquated phrase or that "line" of what is acceptable is just different in their circle for whatever reason.

The way you present yourself will have a lot of bearing on his response and whether or not they feel the need to double down or get defensive. Maybe it isn't fair that the onus is on you to temper what you say in order to get the desired response, but that's life.

The guy I've been talking about apparently said "Hold on, I'll summon him," and began sprinkling loose change from his pocket onto the ground.

Definitely sounds like his sense of humor involves riding the line and that he probably isn't Hitler. I can see some humor in what he did, but that's definitely a joke for a really close friend or someone who knows you well enough to parse out the humor. Probably shouldn't have busted out that vintage for you, you don't sound like a close friend or confidant. But then again maybe nobody has ever brought up how his jokes make them feel. Humor (good or bad) is usually done with a good notion in mind, which means you've got good odds this guy will be receptive to the right presentation.

Just in case he is Hitler though, speak softly and carry a big stick. Never hurts to be prepared.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: April 08, 2017, 09:13:50 am »
Just in case he is Hitler though, speak softly and carry a big stick. Never hurts to be prepared.

This is a bit off topic from my particular issue, but it relates to this same guy (who I'll refer to as Meriwether because it's easier than saying 'guy').

We were getting lunch a back in November or so, and someone began discussing gun violence in the US. After a while, Meriwether pipes in and says the gun violence stats are inflated, and most of the gun deaths in the US are attributable to inner city violence. So I asked if what he meant by "inner city" was "black people" or "black on black crime". Maybe that was a leading question, and maybe he's actually correct, I dunno, I'm not super well versed on the gun debate in terms of actual statistics of who is doing the shooting and who is getting shot.

Anyway, his exact response was "Yes! It's these damn porch mmmmmm!" and I was a bit shocked. Flabbergasted is probably a good descriptor of how I felt.
Me: "You can't just /not/ say the word monkey and suddenly what you're saying isn't ****ed up."
Him: "It's not like I said the n-word or anything"
Me: "That's not the standard to which you should be comparing your use of language!"

So I feel like it's a bit of a tossup on the Hitler thing.

But thanks for the advice guys, I'll bring it up with him sometime soon, maybe he'll take it easy.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: April 08, 2017, 12:43:34 pm »
I asked if this was all happening in the US or in europe somewhere because I thought maybe it was an issue of cultural differences, that he has a different standard of what was okay behavior on this stuff.  Polish dude may have never even met a black american and has no idea what he's saying, just repeating things he's read or heard somewhere.  It may be the same case with you.  I would have thought polish people would have been more cautious about Jewish stereotypes but apparently not.

He may not be intentionally racist, just an idiot who doesn't realize what he's saying.

Offline Gungnir

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: April 08, 2017, 04:01:30 pm »
He's from Chicago.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: April 08, 2017, 04:30:27 pm »
Oh.  Well he's just a representative of the average Chicagoan.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: April 08, 2017, 04:31:37 pm »
Call him a faggot and tell him to go back to reddit.
Not a winner anymore.