Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 392358 times)

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #4140 on: May 15, 2015, 01:48:15 pm »
wow, so random

that means its funny!

Like timecube!

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: May 15, 2015, 08:05:32 pm »
it's an art

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4142 on: May 16, 2015, 06:20:21 am »
I agree with you.

A lot of the stuff we "have" to do seems like it's just a distraction.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: May 17, 2015, 12:55:28 pm »
it's an art

anyone read this? http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/15/05/17/1426246/editor-in-chief-of-the-next-web-adblockers-are-immoral

As an editor, I feel resentful of people who enjoy my work but proudly run an ablocker to starve my content of revenue.

It comes up a lot in conversation, especially online. “Oh yes, I can’t imagine viewing the Web without the ads blocked. I accidentally switched my adblocker off yesterday and it was HORRIBLE.”

No, it really wasn’t – it was perfectly fine, you’re just being a snob. The Web works well for me with the ads displayed.

how was that? don't like ads shoved in your face? you're clearly just a snob.

...the proud ad-blocking folk out there are happily starving sites (that they rely on for information and entertainment) of vital income. ... Taking delight in denying publishers that revenue shows either sociopathic tendencies or ignorance of economic realities.
you're fully able to block something you don't enjoy. it's your choice! you have the power to do away with it all, but shame on you for not thinking of us-the big bad adblocker is benefitting at our expense!

... ‘If ads weren’t so bad, we wouldn’t have to block them,’ they say. I sympathize – we all want the best possible experience online, but there has to be give-and-take in every transaction, even if that transaction is a transfer of information from a Web page to your brain. To wilfully ignore that give-and-take doesn’t sit well with my moral compass.
his principles stand in your way of enjoying the internet, but please respect them! you understand.

For all their sins, ads fuel much of the Web. Cut them out and you’re strangling the diversity of online voices and publishers – and I don’t think consumers really want that.
who cares? let them offer a product and receive compensation for the excellent services they provide the consumer, otherwise let them starve. forcing ads can only be seen as a disservice.

Modern browsers offer ‘Do Not Track’ options
which are a joke and often entirely ignored

(As a sidenote, I should mention Canvas ads. At The Next Web, we’ve been developing our Canvas ad format with the aim of making (as our CEO Boris likes to say) ‘ads so good you want to share them.’ We’re still perfecting the format, but I’m proud that the company I work for is trying to create ads that people won’t want to block in the first place).
yes, a full-screen interruption that jars the reader to all hell. brilliant! it's only a matter of course that i would infect all my friends with that crap. i understand intentionally viewing an foreign ad on youtube or something, (the actual video content i mean, not the additional ads or included video ads) because they are sometimes humorous and you miss out on super sweet inside jokes when you bar them all away.

this guy is an awful relic of the past, a technological dinosaur i hope soon dies off

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4144 on: May 17, 2015, 01:30:16 pm »
Agree. AdBlocking is useful and fun.

This guy's tears wash away my sadness.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: May 17, 2015, 02:58:14 pm »
Don't link directly, archive it so they don't get clicks.

You don't want to inadvertently encourage this sort of thing and you don't want them to be able to pretend they never said something to stupid.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline PikMini

• Scramble Skipper
  • o_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: May 17, 2015, 04:33:47 pm »
Don't link directly, archive it so they don't get clicks.

You don't want to inadvertently encourage this sort of thing and you don't want them to be able to pretend they never said something to stupid.

usually solid advice, but i'll always link directly to the old slashdot, since in most cases you get the gist from the descriptions alone. the truly insightful comments also help.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: May 30, 2015, 10:47:04 am »
So I was hanging out with some friends last night, and they decided to smoke cigars.  Last time they had a cigar night it was at another guy's house whose backyard had more airflow, but this time it was just a tiny patio, a little boxed in square.  And apparently I'm the lightest of lightweights when it comes to cigars because today I feel like I have the flu from just the second hand smoke.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: May 30, 2015, 11:21:53 am »
Ew I just got contact sick reading that. I once inhaled the smoke. Threw up for hours....
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: May 30, 2015, 08:22:16 pm »
Ink you weakling, you're supposed to let the tar cake up on your lungs till you're immune.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: May 30, 2015, 11:42:34 pm »
Nah I'm gonna skip ahead to the keeling over dead part.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:56 pm »
AAAAAAAHH I stumbled over my own phone number in a followup voicemail for a job I'm trying to get.  Just shoot me now.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: June 15, 2015, 01:59:35 pm »
It's endearing?
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: June 15, 2015, 05:24:03 pm »
Oh god voicemail. I'm not usually someone who has trouble with social stuff but jesus christ does it bring out the awkward in everyone.

Y-you too.  :-X
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #4154 on: June 15, 2015, 05:44:22 pm »
I'm great on the phone.

But them I'm not retarded.