Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 553958 times)

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #1365 on: October 20, 2009, 09:21:39 am »
I came to page 92, read "They're doing it again"

Then quickly hurried to page 91 and was totally disappointed.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline dndfreak

• 1942 Veteran
  • The GM
    • View Profile
    • PathLosers
« Reply #1366 on: October 20, 2009, 09:38:40 am »
Quote from: eropS
Ha.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #1367 on: October 21, 2009, 03:59:00 am »
I did the same. Also, dndfreak, you stole my bit!
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • Oh just ****ing deal with it <3
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1368 on: October 21, 2009, 05:29:18 am »
People that don't let themselves show any excitement over something or are just unwilling to enjoy things. These people annoy me. They always focus on the negatives and won't say anything is good (even if they think it is) to avoid appearing weak or some such nonsense.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #1369 on: October 21, 2009, 08:47:20 am »
Personally, I like pointing out negatives. My friend and I rented Return of The Living Dead and mocked the hell out of the whole thing but we both agree it's an awesome movie. Pointing out foibles is a way for bonds to grow stronger; to show how you can love something for its faults.

I understand that it's all about context, of course. I do know the kind of person you speak of but I've been chewed out for pointing out things and laughing at them by some people. Primarily by girls.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1370 on: October 21, 2009, 09:13:54 am »
There's riffing and there's that person you know that insults the car you spent the last two years restoring because he doesn't like blue. :-\

Like, come on dude... really?

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: October 21, 2009, 11:42:09 am »
I make it my personal mission to help those people overcome their problems shoot them in the foot.

Offline Great Distance

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: October 21, 2009, 12:43:19 pm »
I hate it that the banning of a member is never announced. There will always be people wondering what happened to that member. A lot of the time only some of the forum members know that the person has been banned, while others are left out of the loop. This creates a lot of unnecessary speculation about whether they really were banned or not. A lot of confusion would be avoided if the bans could just be outright announced.

Frankly, I don't see what's so great about the whole "let's not talk about banned members" policy. By restricting what you can talk about and what not, you're simply restricting freedom of speech.

Offline Gorman Conall

• Space Ace
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: October 21, 2009, 01:14:12 pm »
While the forum is international so freedom of speech may not apply i do agree its a very silly rule not to be able to talk about banned members.

I and i also agree that it should be announced to save confusion, A lot of forums i frequent actually have a banned users list.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: October 21, 2009, 01:20:55 pm »
Where are the banned?
How is it that we cannot see who the banned are?
Our people need to know this!
Consider the stupidity of people that get banned
As a matter ego and pride to be griefers and
Revel in their trolling ways
Evict them, pay them no mind, let them learn
Some social skills or die

For the ban hammer, the dead horse, and the unending beating noise, big deal!

-Rev Lego

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: October 21, 2009, 01:32:22 pm »
That's getting old.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #1376 on: October 21, 2009, 01:46:12 pm »
I hate it that the banning of a member is never announced. There will always be people wondering what happened to that member. A lot of the time only some of the forum members know that the person has been banned, while others are left out of the loop. This creates a lot of unnecessary speculation about whether they really were banned or not. A lot of confusion would be avoided if the bans could just be outright announced.

Frankly, I don't see what's so great about the whole "let's not talk about banned members" policy. By restricting what you can talk about and what not, you're simply restricting freedom of speech.

It's something Steve told us not to do. He is the boss, it's his forum and his rules. Talking about those who are banned only give them more attention after the fact and have created problems in the past. People love to talk about it and then the banned love to come back say they were wrongly accused and that the mods are unfair. This has created problems in the past. It's also a privacy of information type of thing. You have to trust that we are fair and no one is ever banned without a good reason and without plenty of prior warnings. If anything, we are too lenient.

Offline Ultramarine

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • Whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: October 21, 2009, 01:48:52 pm »

I can see your point, especially about a place such as GS... events can be secretive here, but it's not like the staff REALLY needs to explain every one of their actions.

I moderate on another forum and for the most part we're pretty lax about discussion of certain members. However, we do occasionally go by the "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" policy when it comes to some members who've been banned for breaking major rules (or just many rules in quick succession). But bans are given out for a reason, and for the most part the reasons for their banishment are still evident after they've been ousted; there's also a usergroup for banned members to lessen the confusion (bans aren't always permanent though).

tl;dr

Business is business, but not being able to talk about said members is done for a reason: to keep them from trying to come back. You give them attention, they come crawling back. Perfect example: Malt.

And to actually contribute, my gripe.

I'm part of the photography club, which obviously consists of taking photographs of certain objects, landscapes etc. And so far I've been doing pretty well for myself; first year of doing it too. On my camera I had.. lets say.. 120 pics that I could use for the clubs scrap book, and those were 120 of the 200 usable pics I could use for said scrap book.

By the end of the night I was taking photos of the new Wind Turbine they just installed to promote the "Go Green" fad. After I snapped a couple of shots we drove over to the light house. It's about a 5 minute drive, so nothing could go wrong right? I get out of the car, walk over across the street to the light house, turn my camera back on and bam, it wants me to reformat my SD card.. At first I thought it was an error so I just turned it off and turned it back on again. It STILL doesn't work. Hours later I make my way to the new Walmart that just opened up, I slip the SD card into the photo processor and NOTHING can be found on the damn thing ._.; aggravated I head back home to see what's up. I shove it into another camera, which I thought would work (thinking maybe it was the camera and not the card (dumb I know but hell I was desperate)). But no, that didn't work either; I tried every trick in the book but nothing worked... I had to reformat. All those months of taking shots, gone, down the drain. And I know it doesn't sound like something to stress out about, but MOST of those shots that were taken were one time deals if you catch my drift.

ITP: RAGE

[EDIT]

.... Wow, well the first half of my post is pretty redundant now.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 01:51:25 pm by Ultramarine »
Kid: Oh wow I'm being deflowered by a grown woman!
Mother: By the way I'm your mother
Kid: OH GOD NO

EDIT: That's where it becomes rape if you were wondering.

ヽ(`∇)人(∇`)人(`∇)ノ   (゚д゚; )

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: October 21, 2009, 02:15:44 pm »
Here's my recomendation.  Try to get the SD card into a computer.  Then, download some free file recovery program.  It should be able to find your pictures.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1379 on: October 21, 2009, 03:12:21 pm »
Protip: It doesn't matter how great or smart you think you are. The boss' word is law and you'd better listen because the boss reserves the right to fire your ass.