Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 457772 times)

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #885 on: May 07, 2009, 05:17:52 pm »
My gripe: German gaming restrictions. Here is the deal. I picked up the Half-Life anthology and installed in. For some strange reason, by default, the installer assumes that you are in some weird country, like Germany, that has rule prohibiting violence in gaming.

Now, if you have ever played Half-life, you know that right after the 'resonance-cascade' the halls are full of blood. You know that beating someone with a crowbar makes blood fly and people will collapse in to a blood mess on the floor. Later when you are dealing with enemy soldiers there is blood and bodies everywhere. Good wholesome fun all around!

Whoa unto those that have this super nerfed, Barney won't mind, Mister Roger's endorsed piece of fluff that I installed...

The hallways are messy but there is no blood. The dead on the floor appear to be sleeping. When someone 'dies' they just sit down on the floor shaking their heads and fade out of view. Killing an alien monster makes him fade away. Enemy soldiers are now enemy robots that spew bolts, not blood, and they too just sit down when dead. I half expected the rocket launcher to sing Kum-By-Yah after every shot and the crossbow to summon a grief counselor with each zooming of the scope.

Luckily I was able to put in a ticket to Valve explaining that I am an American, of Norwegian decent, and that I enjoy my violence bloody and rare with just a hint of barbarism. I want my terrorists water boarded and that 'shoot first and ask questions later does provide for better answers' is my motto and they were nice enough to turn this piece of fluff back in to something worthy of an R-rating.

So endeth this gripe, for the ammo, the laser, and the holy crap! Amen!

-Lego

Offline Skyward

• Ballblazer Plasmorb
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 07, 2009, 05:21:07 pm »
Wow...
that is all.
Hell, Skyward Descent is pure win!
Quote from: Captain
I kill you in the name of DELICIOUS!

Offline Flisch

• H.E.R.O. Rescue Worker
  • Banned - 17/07/15
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 07, 2009, 10:56:44 pm »
My gripe: German gaming restrictions. Here is the deal. I picked up the Half-Life anthology and installed in. For some strange reason, by default, the installer assumes that you are in some weird country, like Germany, that has rule prohibiting violence in gaming.

Now, if you have ever played Half-life, you know that right after the 'resonance-cascade' the halls are full of blood. You know that beating someone with a crowbar makes blood fly and people will collapse in to a blood mess on the floor. Later when you are dealing with enemy soldiers there is blood and bodies everywhere. Good wholesome fun all around!

Whoa unto those that have this super nerfed, Barney won't mind, Mister Roger's endorsed piece of fluff that I installed...

The hallways are messy but there is no blood. The dead on the floor appear to be sleeping. When someone 'dies' they just sit down on the floor shaking their heads and fade out of view. Killing an alien monster makes him fade away. Enemy soldiers are now enemy robots that spew bolts, not blood, and they too just sit down when dead. I half expected the rocket launcher to sing Kum-By-Yah after every shot and the crossbow to summon a grief counselor with each zooming of the scope.

Luckily I was able to put in a ticket to Valve explaining that I am an American, of Norwegian decent, and that I enjoy my violence bloody and rare with just a hint of barbarism. I want my terrorists water boarded and that 'shoot first and ask questions later does provide for better answers' is my motto and they were nice enough to turn this piece of fluff back in to something worthy of an R-rating.

-Lego

Can you feel my pain now? :P
Well, at least they didn't make the blood grey, like in Half-Life 2. >_>

On the plus side, this explains why everyone is talking about gore in L4D and I can't see any...
There is, of course, a difference between having a laugh with someone, and having a laugh at their expense

Offline Xeno264

• Defender Devotee
  • Don't eat the yellow snow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 08, 2009, 04:49:59 am »
I hear that the Star Trek movie is effing awesome.

I went and saw it last night on the 3rd biggest screen in the world. It was awesome. The movie changes some stuff, but it's still good. It's a good night out.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 08, 2009, 05:27:05 am »
See I told word on street was right. N ow lets take the discussion here where only those awesome nerdy enough to have gone to see it can discuss it.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 08, 2009, 07:24:32 am »
My gripe: German gaming restrictions.

-Lego

Well, hey, at least they can have nipples.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 08, 2009, 08:23:11 am »
My gripe: German gaming restrictions.

-Lego

Well, hey, at least they can have nipples.

Very true. I'm all for the presentation of well proportioned female bump-mapped textures, gravity-resistant cleavage, and minimal armor coverage.

-Lego
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 08:57:43 am by Legodragonxp »

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #892 on: May 08, 2009, 09:17:06 am »
Oh Lego... you so crazy.

Offline Hammerman58

• Q*Bert Qrazy
  • Thor carrier of the mightiest hammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 08, 2009, 09:21:40 am »
Oh Lego... you so crazy.
Crazy like a horny fox
STOP HAMMERTIME 
PSN Names YaY I got a thread stickied.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #894 on: May 08, 2009, 09:25:40 am »
People that don't understand how the joke works. :P

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 08, 2009, 10:46:22 am »
People that don't understand how the joke works. :P

What are "Internet noobs"?

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #896 on: May 08, 2009, 11:14:46 am »
Mr. Connery.. the category was Numbers, and you wrote...  a letter V. Well, I tell you what, my friend - V is a Roman numeral, so despite your best efforts, you answered correctly.

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 11, 2009, 09:11:37 am »
Local Policy...
Vista Home Edition Sucks!
Its Reg Hacking Time!

-Lego tech support haiku gripe

Offline Bona Fide Supraman

• Star Raider
  • Not Super, Supra
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 11, 2009, 01:47:18 pm »

-Lego

Germany is considering a total ban of violent video games following Tim Kretschmer's shooting spree at his school in Winnenden, on the basis that they incite people to do violent things. Genius. Germany, a country whose history was largely free of violence until video games, of course.
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Offline Yannick

• Tetris Tumbler
  • The end is nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 11, 2009, 01:50:44 pm »
Everyone knows Hitler payed Grand Jew Auto: Extermination.

"It's only your virginity, loosen up!"