Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 400085 times)

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #870 on: May 04, 2009, 12:25:40 am »
Begin your future somewhere away from here. Start fresh!

I suck at math to a great degree... took algebra II twice in highschool. And I am in the sciences here in college and doing well... minus the math. Lack of math skill won't put anything in the dust if you have the balls to put enough effort into it to make it work.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 04, 2009, 12:51:28 am »
Xbox tech support woes

I found their tech support hit and miss mostly you do get Indian accents it mostly varies how strong it is and the level of their English If u get some one intelligible then you can often get some where. I generally haven't had much issue with language just accents. My 1st foray eventually ended with the advice to use a towel under the console as a cushion to prevent discs getting scratched up. I thought it was pretty WTF advice but seems to have been effective.

Other times have been 0 help to pretty good. The time I needed to send in for repairs was mostly trouble free I had to pay as it was out of warranty and not a red ring issue but they made it as painless as possible and the guy I spoke to helped out a lot.

Nintendo's tech support is better I have found it was still Australian based and they sound like they know what they talking about.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 04, 2009, 05:52:14 am »
Reminds me of how I once was about my Logictech headphones.

My gripe concerns my future. The truth is I have no Idea what the hell I want to do with it. I've got sights set on writing but the truth is that I doubt my ability, so much so that I don't think I'll make it. That and the amount of money I would make would be chump change. I have thought about going into maybe a medicine career like dentistry or psychiatry but I don't think I have the guts or emotional will to talk to sick people all day, even with the great pay and all. I also doubt that I could muster the Math grades needed to pass medical school or even get into a high end medical college. I could try my hand at being a philosopher but then again those guys get paid diddly squat. I could try to get into a science field but once again my lack of mathematical prowess pretty much put that career in the dust. So yah, indecision, indecision, indecision...  

But hey, at least I got skills.

Like Null said, Math isn't necessarily a big prerequisite for science at degree level (except, obviously, physics) but don't take science just because you don't have anything else to do. Unless you're actually really interested in the subject you'll grow to hate it. Take it from me :P
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 04, 2009, 08:58:04 am »

Silly Andrew, objectivism isn't a skill.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 04, 2009, 09:10:44 am »
But shooting bees at your enemies is.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #875 on: May 04, 2009, 09:46:32 am »
I just watched the Bee Movie. Credits are rolling now.

Offline munchkin5

• Punch-Out Champ
  • Gentlemen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 04, 2009, 09:54:33 am »
Reminds me of how I once was about my Logictech headphones.

My gripe concerns my future. The truth is I have no Idea what the hell I want to do with it. I've got sights set on writing but the truth is that I doubt my ability, so much so that I don't think I'll make it. That and the amount of money I would make would be chump change. I have thought about going into maybe a medicine career like dentistry or psychiatry but I don't think I have the guts or emotional will to talk to sick people all day, even with the great pay and all. I also doubt that I could muster the Math grades needed to pass medical school or even get into a high end medical college. I could try my hand at being a philosopher but then again those guys get paid diddly squat. I could try to get into a science field but once again my lack of mathematical prowess pretty much put that career in the dust. So yah, indecision, indecision, indecision...  

Remember, if you fail there is always the army.

So try not to fail.

But seriously, if you don't think you can do any of that, what are you good at?

Offline Dwight

• Star Castle Cadet
  • Eisenhower.
    • View Profile
    • www.addictinggames.com
« Reply #877 on: May 04, 2009, 05:14:09 pm »
I find it funny that every other commercial on my school's news network is for some branch of the military, not exactly a gripe.
"An intellectual is a man who takes more words than necessary to tell more than he knows."-Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Dwight is the model employee, and makes Eisenhower proud.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 04, 2009, 08:12:43 pm »
... Sagan got a winner button before me.

Thats my gripe.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 04, 2009, 09:46:48 pm »
I would like to now take this time to complain about JJ Abrams.

JJ is one of the people behind Lost and a couple other shows.  If you don't watch Lost, you doubtless have friends who do, and hear them talking about the show all the time.  One of the big things in Lost is all the hidden details and clues that lead fans to analyze screencaps of the show for every last clue and hidden meaning.  This has always sounded a bit silly to me.  When I watch a show, I want it to be self contained.  I want to be entertained for an hour or half hour and be done, not have to go online to track down all the hidden clues to reveal a tiny bit more backstory.  But I guess some people like this sort of thing and I don't have to watch the show, so whatever.

As you also may know, Abrams is the director of the new Star Trek movie.  The advertising blitz for said movie has put Abrams all over the place as much as it has Kirk or Spock, resulting in Abrams being the guest editor of Wired magazine (of which I am a subscriber) and being a guest on tonight's Colbert Report.  Abram's game of hidden clues and meanings was the whole focus of both forms of entertainment.  And you know what?  I hate it.  I don't want to reread my magazine two or three times (as reccomended) to figure out the hidden puzzle.  I want to read the articles and be done with it.  I don't want to go online to figure out what the blatant hints in the Report were about.

So I guess my point is this:  Screw you, JJ.  If I wanted brain teasers, I would go get a sudoku book and a copy of Where's Waldo.  Stay out of my entertainment of choice, and we're cool.  Insert your oh so hip and trendy games of follow the breadcrumbs in my magazines and shows, and you can go jump in a lake for all I care.

Thank you for your time, and good night.

The Star Trek movie does look kinda cool...
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Xeno264

• Defender Devotee
  • Don't eat the yellow snow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 05, 2009, 12:35:26 am »
Speaking of the new Star Trek movie, I'm actually going to see it at IMAX on camp.

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 05, 2009, 07:48:13 am »
As you also may know, Abrams is the director of the new Star Trek movie.

I didn't. You mean there are people other than Simon Pegg involved in that film?

Damn. Two hours of just Scotty would have been the best Star Trek film ever.

On the subject of JJ Abrams: what do you think you're too good to have a first name?
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Doctor Z

• Space Harrier
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 05, 2009, 12:56:13 pm »
It's Jessica Janet Abrams.

>.>

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 05, 2009, 01:56:24 pm »
I
JJ is one of the people behind Lost and a couple other shows.  If you don't watch Lost, you doubtless have friends who do, and hear them talking about the show all the time.  One of the big things in Lost is all the hidden details and clues that lead fans to analyze screencaps of the show for every last clue and hidden meaning. 

Yes, when it first started they wouldn't shut up about it. But even with those clues I hear the plot STILL makes little sense so in addition to almost being work, its pointless work as well.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #884 on: May 05, 2009, 03:00:14 pm »
I hear that the Star Trek movie is effing awesome.