Author Topic: Gripe Thread  (Read 553960 times)

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
Re: Gripe Thread
« Reply #750 on: March 27, 2009, 11:54:24 am »
A lot of PC games have it too these days.
And the problem of pressing Enter or Escape to skip the intros and then accidentally starting the game or quitting it, respectively, can be easily solved by building in a small period where keypresses don't do anything when you reach the main menu after having skipped the intro movies

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 27, 2009, 12:02:38 pm »
I have a gripe with PETA. Again.

I joined their forum to try and get some reason and logical debate. I wanted to try and understand their point of view. After all, if you just blithely insult people and make no attempt to understand their point of view, you're a bigot.

In under 20 minutes, all my posts were deleted, along with my account.

“He that will not reason is a bigot; he that cannot reason is a fool; he that dares not reason is a slave” - William Drummond.

I think I found the problem.  Though that does sound like a fun way to kill half an hour.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #752 on: March 27, 2009, 12:05:08 pm »
Sadly, as I said, they didn't really respond. I got one response, then everything went poof.
Axel's Playground - Come see what I'm playing with today.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 27, 2009, 12:52:48 pm »
What exactly did you ask? PETA are notorious for not tolerating anything that even looks like it could be trying to get a rise from their members (i.e. anything they don't agree with).

Offline Haseri

• Lode Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 27, 2009, 12:56:48 pm »
Judging from Axel's gripe, an intelligent conversation.

Unless it was:

NOM NOM NOM, MEAT IS TEH ROXXORS

I never was any good at internet slang. I'll think I'll just stay with my weird mix of RP and West Country.

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
  • A man has a choice, I chose the impossible!
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 27, 2009, 04:49:51 pm »
I hate the news sometimes...

Quote from:  The Associated Press
He is survived by his wife, Sherry, and 3-year-old daughter, Ayla.

G-G-G-GRAMMER RAPE!!!

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 05:06:06 pm by Andrew Ryan »
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #756 on: March 27, 2009, 04:51:39 pm »
What exactly did you ask? PETA are notorious for not tolerating anything that even looks like it could be trying to get a rise from their members (i.e. anything they don't agree with).

It was a response to someone else's thread asking a question that I was actually very intent on having answered: What does PETA think about animals eating other animals?

I stated four things and asked for responses. I don't recall them all but I do remember them including statements that some primates are known to eat meat (And even cannibalize their own species if they're from another clan), that evidence suggests human brains grew in size due to a high protein diet of cooked meat, and that PETA considers murdering an animal a moral evil but makes no comments regarding animals that eat meat. PETA, you see, says in their FAQ that humans should "learn from their primate cousins" that eat mostly fruit.

I asked them for answers regarding these things and I was plainly told "Go read the FAQ".

I also posted in a topic about beekeepers, and said I don't see the harm since beekeepers care for their bees and bees don't need all the honey they produce (Since a teaspoon could give a bee the energy to fly around the planet).

Civility is something I like to maintain in a debate, so I tried to avoid editorializing in my posts. Were the posts not deleted, I'd link you to them but, were that the case, I'd not have a gripe.

NOM NOM NOM, MEAT IS TEH ROXXORS

Actually, I will confess I have a bad history with PETA. On seeing a protest of theirs downtown (Protesting synthetic fur for "perpetuating the culture of fur-wearing"), I immediately rushed into the nearest McDonalds, bought a cheeseburger, and stood in front of them while eating it.

G-G-G-GRAMMER RAPE!!!

... How is that incorrect again?

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 27, 2009, 04:52:40 pm »
I have a gripe with PETA. Again.

I joined their forum to try and get some reason and logical debate.

I am afraid you failed before you even made your first post in that regard then. PETA is nuts, as are you to try such things as reason or logic there.  ;)

. After all, if you just blithely insult people and make no attempt to understand their point of view, you're a bigot.

I thought you supported all of our rights to be bigots? 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:54:13 pm by Null »

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 27, 2009, 05:06:34 pm »
"Don't worry 'bout me. I wouldn't worry about me. Don't you worry about me. Don't you worry 'bout me!" - Talking Heads, Don't Worry About the Government

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #759 on: March 27, 2009, 05:13:38 pm »
Andrew, saying that someone is survived by someone is a very common usage of the term. It doesn't seem incorrect to me.

I thought you supported all of our rights to be bigots? 

I do. I also support your right to wrap yourself in a sheet, running down the street yelling "I'm Archimedes and the Pope's as big as Ireland!" as a protest against the unfair treatment of workers in New Guinea. I just don't exactly consider it a logical thing to do. As Voltaire said, "I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Offline Null

• Tempest Top Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 27, 2009, 05:17:07 pm »

I do. I also support your right to wrap yourself in a sheet, running down the street yelling "I'm Archimedes and the Pope's as big as Ireland!" as a protest against the unfair treatment of workers in New Guinea.

Oh, good. The police weren't nearly as understanding. Or perhaps it was because the sheet was the only thing I was wearing.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • Oh just ****ing deal with it <3
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #761 on: March 27, 2009, 05:28:24 pm »
Now I swear Andrew used to be able to use English properly... I think I remember when he first joined how I was happy that we had someone that knew their stuff. Now all he does is go around telling me how he's going to "ripe you're throat out and leave it their for all to see".

Offline Andrew Ryan

• Simon Belmont
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 27, 2009, 05:32:00 pm »
God damn it it doesn't sound right! It just doesn't!

*Goes back to reading poetry*

Offline Axelgear

• Fooblitzky Fooble
    • View Profile
    • Axel's Playground
« Reply #763 on: March 27, 2009, 05:35:25 pm »
God damn it it doesn't sound right! It just doesn't!

Commas get angry when you forget them.  ;D

Irony police shall be coming soon, I swear!

Offline Veraal

• Zelda Zealot
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 27, 2009, 05:37:04 pm »
The only thing worse than a grammar nazi, is a failing grammar nazi.