Author Topic: Sim Games  (Read 2454 times)

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
Sim Games
« on: February 10, 2007, 03:35:20 pm »
I'm looking for a good sim game where you play as the head of an organization (a business or a nation would be preferable). I mean making behind-the-scenes policies and all that kind of thing, not like with most of the Tycoon games in which you put something in your game world and hope it makes money. The closest I've found to what I'm looking for is Tropico. Most of the nation simulation games I've come across are mainly war games. I want to feel like the president of a country, not like a landgrabing maniac. Does anyone know a game similar to what I'm looking for?

Spore countdowns: USA Europe

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Sim Games
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 03:57:11 pm »
You could try SuperPower. It lets you run your country however you want, choosing from one of the 140 real countries in the game. World domination is again the ultimate goal, but you're not a land-grabbing maniac, but rather using trickery alongside your weapons (including nuclear, that causes the entire world to be pissed), and doing things like terrorism AND framing another country. It's really deep, though. I got frustrated with it.
Virus Buster.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 04:31:56 pm »
Civilization fits the bill as long as you set the PCs to be non-aggressive.

Offline HanianKnight

• Choplifter Captain
  • He's Probably a Good Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 07:22:39 pm »
Ugh, SuperPower annoyed the crap outta me. I thought it was overy complicated and boring, it seemed like a sandbox of the world, but an incredibly boring sandbox. I just got bored with the game after about ten minutes and just started firing nukes randomy, then never played it again.
By the time you finish reading this signature, I've gotten into your house, stolen your t.v., and re-decorated the place so that it fits with your hipster lifestyle.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 08:18:52 pm »
You could try SuperPower.

Thanks, but I looked Superpower 2 up on Gamespot and it got a 5.2/10. One of the tags they have is "crap." The review says that the AI is random and unpredictable, it's very easy, and there's not a lot to do. If it were a better game, it would be perfect. You are definitely on the right track.

Civilization fits the bill as long as you set the PCs to be non-aggressive.

I have Civ4, I don't find it all that engrossing. It seems like a Total War game but just with more emphasis on the civil side. I'm looking for something where I can look at graphs of my approval, engage in in-depth diplomacy, and set detailed policies. Or, as a company, to set company-wide policy, hire and fire, view income and expenditure, decide what to produce, etc. Basically I want to feel as though I'm in charge of an empire all my own.

To give y'all an idea of what I'm looking for, Politcal Machine and Tropico look good.

Thanks to everyone for offering help!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 08:35:03 pm by 762 »

Offline Neon

• Phoenix Fighter
  • Aaaw Skeet Skeet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:01:25 pm »
Go to Civfanatics.com click downloads and download Rhye's and Fall of Civilization its like a whole new game andhas the stuff you're looking for.
I need a signature send me ideas.

Offline 762

• Goddess of Phobos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 08:03:49 pm »
That's still about becoming the dominant power in the world. What I'm looking for is a game where the purpose is not to conquer, but to survive and interact with other players or the computer. I've played a lot of games where you're supposed to conquer the world with one means or another, but I've never seen one where you're supposed to survive in an intricate and complicated political environment. Thanks for the tip, though.

Online Tesla

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 12:03:16 am »
SimCity?
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline SBD

• Duck Hunter
  • It stands for Ship-Borne Dive bomber, people.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 05:21:24 am »
does anyone remember that game from a while back, i think it was set in russia or something. anyway, the whole point of the game was getting elected by the people into some position of power (can't remember what it was) by any means nessersary (sp?) you could walk around the city and stuff.

Offline Athul

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 06:19:48 am »
does anyone remember that game from a while back, i think it was set in russia or something. anyway, the whole point of the game was getting elected by the people into some position of power (can't remember what it was) by any means nessersary (sp?) you could walk around the city and stuff.

Yeah, you mean Republic the Revolution: http://www.eidos.co.uk/gss/republic/