Author Topic: Sim Arcology  (Read 13407 times)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
Sim Arcology
« on: February 10, 2007, 05:04:51 am »
I am going to be running a game similar to LadyM's Sim House. This time the house will be an Arcology. Arcologies are mega structures you might remember from Sim City 2000.

I have been playing around with different types over the last few days. 1st building a classic launch arcology, but it was just to huge. The camera would wack out over so many stories tall. I tired stilt arcos but they looked bad so after looking at many different designs I have come up with a mirror pyramid design. You can see below how it looks so far.

I need some suggestions on what to fill this up with. Arcologies are like cities in a building so i want to have all the features. But i am limited to 7 floors (plus outside). This is on a 50 x 60 tile lot. I am thinking of thinking of it more like a aircraft carrier or starship rather than a city. So i might not need a police station, but i could have security center or something. Here are some ideas on what i should put in...

Lobby
Restrooms
Janitor's Room
Cafeteria / Mess Hall
Kitchen
Ballroom / Dance Floor
Sleeping Quarters
Library
Computer Lab
Science Lab
Music Room
Classrooms
Gym
Pool
Security Center
Jail
Medical Center
Art Gallery
Museum
Observatory / Planetarium
Aquarium / Zoo
Church/Chapel
Mailroom
Courtroom
Meeting Hall
Market Place
Bowling Alley
Movie / Amphitheater
Tennis Courts
Basketball Courts
Playground
Garden

Plz post if you have other ideas of what to put in. Also if you have aidea how the floor plan should be.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
Re: Sim Arcology
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 05:59:46 am »
Well good luck. It reminds me of the Mega stucture i was planing for Sim Nation (The Sims 2 wise.)  A smoth pryramid that is going to be a research center or something like that.
Check out my Creatures.
The Æthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 07:53:12 am »
Hydro, how were you able to create so many levels? Im limited to 5 and thats like 7 ???

edit: Oh and good luck :)
@davidramnero

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 08:10:37 am »
Its nice, but are you going to put sims in it?
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 02:01:19 pm »
Hydro, how were you able to create so many levels? Im limited to 5 and thats like 7 ???

edit: Oh and good luck :)

You can set the level with a cheat.

Its nice, but are you going to put sims in it?

Yes, this is a residential lot.

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 02:12:15 pm »
If you uploaded that to the site after furnishing it, you could probably get it featured. Great work. I would put personal restrooms for all the sleeping quarters, and Perhaps a public restroom near the lobby. I would also place desks in the sleeping quarters too as a suggestion. And maybe a Banquet Hall somewhere in there.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:16:15 pm by sgore »
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 02:13:28 pm »
ok, thank you.

So, is this going to be like LadyM's project so that you post an uppdate everyday on what have happened in the house, or will you be creating exotic houses and post em here?
@davidramnero

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 02:15:30 pm »
How many sims are we talking?  I know there's a cheat to increase the number you can have on a lot, but wouldn't you need a monster of a computer to handle the sims necessary to fill it?
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 02:18:02 pm »
Love the design but I seen it before.....I think it was in a book about atoms.

You'll never know why.
<_< ¯\[ ◕O ◕]/¯ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 02:30:57 pm »
ok, thank you.

So, is this going to be like LadyM's project so that you post an uppdate everyday on what have happened in the house, or will you be creating exotic houses and post em here?

Yes, but maybe not every day. Also people will not be voted out. But there will be other things you can vote on. So in a sense the viewers will get to choose what sort of events the people in the arcology will do.

How many sims are we talking?  I know there's a cheat to increase the number you can have on a lot, but wouldn't you need a monster of a computer to handle the sims necessary to fill it?

As many as my computer / side screen can handle, as long as i figure out ladym's bool prop trick.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:34:18 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 04:34:53 pm »
Here are some updated pictures with windows, doors and even a fire escape.

Offline Grazony

• Simon Belmont
  • I am not spying on you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 04:46:15 pm »
Nice, cannot wait to see the inside.

You'll never know why.
<_< ¯\[ ◕O ◕]/¯ >_>
Son, I have seen some unbelievable things in my time, but I have never seen a Texan with a robotic chainsaw fist kill a gun-slinging dinosaur by punching it in the head. ~The Soldier

Offline Jack Zetter

• Robotron Automaton
  • For Life and Freedom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 05:24:54 pm »
Nice there!

Offline TaylorFlame

• Adventure Ace
  • LOOK A MUSLIM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 09:34:13 pm »
Thats great!

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 09:49:07 pm »
Will u be createing a seprate pic posting thread? or maybe site to host new pics so you dont get what ladym was getting around day 6 or 7 where so many pics made loading a nightmare.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 10:18:49 pm »
Will u be createing a seprate pic posting thread? or maybe site to host new pics so you dont get what ladym was getting around day 6 or 7 where so many pics made loading a nightmare.

Good idea.

Offline Kratok

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
  • Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 12:16:15 am »
Don't froget to put telescopes on the top and such

Offline Danger Mouse

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 03:14:48 am »
It looks very cool so far :)
Good Grief!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2007, 03:31:11 am »
Ok so far all i have put in for the inside is the Chapel / Church. When i have Sims in it i will add things like the wedding arch, and pulpit. Note this is on the very top floor. I also have room on the other side for something. Any suggestions on what to put next to the church on the top 7th floor?

Offline Huckbuck

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2007, 03:42:14 am »
A synagogue, a mosque, a buddhist temple and a mandir. Dont underestimate the Vishnu!!!
@davidramnero

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • You just blipped on my radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2007, 03:47:28 am »
Interestingly my view on the arcology changed after you put the church at the top.  I would have expected it i probably in the commons area which I would assume would be on the largest floor. By putting a church at the top it's as if your declaring that church is extra important, by reminding people everytime they go, they have to go all the way to the top floor. Now I'm not saying this is bad or anything, this is your design, I'm just giving some feedback.  I know see this as an Arcology of people of who religio is extremely important to them.

On another note completely you might want to add a green roof http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_roof They go with the idea of a self sustained eco-system. When seasons comes out you can add the fruits and vegeables to it.  
My karma ran over your dogma

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 04:14:08 am »
I was actually thinking about having grass and plants on the roof. Thats why i put the canals and water falls in case i changed my mind.

As for the importance, i was gong to but the residential rooms on the top but its way too small. So its going to be on the 6th floor instead. And I only made it Christian looking because thats the custom content i found.  Personally i think it should be maybe a "Willistic" church that worships Will Wright, but i could not find a big statue of him. :(

And i am Atheist/Agnostic personally. So to me it is as important as what religion my civilization worships in Civ4. I could really care less.

In short only one religious room since there is a lot to put in and only so much space.

Its not shown but i just put in the wedding arch on the right side of the table and a a huge religious candle rack on the left side of the table.

In addition you can see in the picture pews with books in the back, a piano, baptismal bath thing, giant Jesus wish preaching function if you interact with it, flowers all around, bible book on the table and collection plate on the table too.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 04:18:33 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline sgore

• SunDog Pilot
  • Actually, Jeopardy is my second favorite game show
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 10:36:29 am »
I would make the other half of the top floor the banquet hall. Just a suggestion.
What meme is relevant right now? Look, just imagine I'm riffing on that. Updating signatures is exhausting.

Sam:The Ploofy Master

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2007, 01:51:26 pm »
Don't get me wrong I have no problem with it, you don't need to justify anything to me, this is jus the view of a third party.Traditioally the top is considered the most important place. On a ship (sea or space) the top usually has the bridge. On an apartment building or hotel the top would be a penthouse.

Depending on what these people consider most important I would see it a the top. Unless the people would extremely religous I would be suprised to see the people of the arcology to use the top for something other then some sort of telescope research area. A lower area would have the light of the rest of the arcology blinding he telescope(s). 

Again I'm not trying to tell you how to build your arcology, I'm just telling you how I see it as an outsider with no knowledge of a backstory.   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 02:33:21 pm by Interitus »

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2007, 02:26:17 pm »
What an interesting concept. I would have never though to do such a thing on the sims.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2007, 02:42:41 pm »
Banquet hall or telescope place sound like good choices. Penthouse I may consider but really with the whole 6th floor to sleeping quarters i think thats enough space given to that.

Offline Cobra

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • People want ducks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2007, 03:59:43 pm »
Any suggestions on what to put next to the church on the top 7th floor?

Adult book store

>_>
<_<

Offline a14gt

• Lode Runner
  • Raised from the dead!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2007, 04:40:35 pm »
dude, you must have one moster computer to run this with some sims, also when it gets compleated are you gonna put into member sims, like ladyM. i also thought you can just put some random Sims.
Bow down fool. HAHAHA!

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2007, 04:41:57 pm »
How did you get that raised platform in the church, Hydro?
Yes. Of course.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2007, 04:47:00 pm »
This is interesting to watch, my computer could never handle a house that big with sims in it. It would bog down big time. Hydro, if you need help with the bool prop thing, let me know.

gec05

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 04:48:44 pm »
How did you get that raised platform in the church, Hydro?
You can put interior stages indoors, they're like foundations but meant for inside. They come in the OFB expansion and can be put on top of foundations to create a double-foundation look.

Offline Serdun

• Revenging Yar
  • Sup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2007, 05:01:17 pm »
Oh. Well, I've been planning to get OfB, so I guess I'm in luck!
Yes. Of course.

gec05

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2007, 05:04:47 pm »
Oh. Well, I've been planning to get OfB, so I guess I'm in luck!

OFB also has partial walls that work as interior dividers.

Offline Kratok

• Probably dead at this point!
    • View Profile
    • [url=http://la-mulana.com/en/][img]http://la-mulana.com/banner/half_banner3.gif[/img][/url]
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 05:21:14 pm »
I'd do banquet hall or something people don't come by at free woill.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 06:59:58 pm »
dude, you must have one moster computer to run this with some sims, also when it gets compleated are you gonna put into member sims, like ladyM. i also thought you can just put some random Sims.

So far its running ok. We shall see how it works when i fill in all the rooms and add people.

This is interesting to watch, my computer could never handle a house that big with sims in it. It would bog down big time. Hydro, if you need help with the bool prop thing, let me know.

What all can bool prop do? Is there somewhere online where i can learn more about it?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 07:03:08 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 04:09:51 am »
I took Interitus's advice and added some nice green parks on the top with paths. Also re thought the escape stairs as well as added some nice paths to walk on. You can see trees, hedges, wall vines and nice .. fake grass and fake water. But they look real :D Enjoy!

Offline Henqix

• Stargate Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 04:33:04 am »
It looks much better with some green.

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 05:09:50 am »
What all can bool prop do? Is there somewhere online where i can learn more about it?

I've found this, I think that explains a lot about boolprop. It even has pictures! :D

gec05

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 10:44:17 am »
Boolprop is short for Boolean Properties. It's an uber cheat that allows you to mod most the game without any hacks or programs to do it.

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 11:49:34 am »
Boolprop is short for Boolean Properties. It's an uber cheat that allows you to mod most the game without any hacks or programs to do it.
Do you mean more games than The Sims 2 have a 'boolprop' cheat? I didn't know that.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 12:17:58 pm »
To put it in a more general meaning, boolprop is essentially the same as a debug mode. There's a whole site dedicated to the teaching of how to use it and stories made with the aid of it. Due to the boolean nature of it all, however, every option only has two states, "On" or "Off" (also "True" and "False"), to check how various things work during certain events. (example: ever wanted to go into buy mode during a fire?)
Virus Buster.

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 12:31:17 pm »
It is worth mentioning that I've used it a few times with no problem but I've read reports on how using the cheat has caused corrupted sims, objects, houses, lots or neighbourhoods. This is not a cheat supported by the devs and is very much a use at your own risk cheat.  Cheats that let you use more sims or floors only bypass systems put in place to make he game playable, this is a new level of cheat.  Not trying to put you off usig it, just thought someone should chime in.

Offline Xenomorph

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 12:47:52 pm »
:o HOLEY SMOKEYS its a beautiful tempel now! i love it! :o
"Apply layers to Reality
Things only you can see
Add a beat to Normality
To tap the core of Insanity"

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2007, 02:48:42 pm »
It is worth mentioning that I've used it a few times with no problem but I've read reports on how using the cheat has caused corrupted sims, objects, houses, lots or neighbourhoods. This is not a cheat supported by the devs and is very much a use at your own risk cheat.  Cheats that let you use more sims or floors only bypass systems put in place to make he game playable, this is a new level of cheat.  Not trying to put you off usig it, just thought someone should chime in.

In short... you are messing with some fundemental mojo.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2007, 03:29:48 pm »

I've found this, I think that explains a lot about boolprop. It even has pictures! :D

Thank you this is great! So very helpful!

Well i have the house in its own separate neighborhood for this in case anything goes wrong. Thanks for the warning though. And so far its still running ok. We will have to see how it goes once I start adding people.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 03:35:23 pm by Hydromancerx »

Offline Interitus

• Mr. Do! Disciple
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2007, 06:19:33 am »
I mentioned this in gabbly, but it's worth bringing up again. I think you should increase the number of elevators. The new stairs might help delfect overcrowding of the elevators, but I've seen them turn to uselessness before.

For example you might find most sims trying to get one floor above them, and lets be honest the AI isn't always smart. That elevator might take two, three, maybe four trips. All this time the poor sim in the back needs to urgently get to the bathrooms three floors above him. (again, just an example)

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2007, 06:31:22 am »
To put it in a more general meaning, boolprop is essentially the same as a debug mode. There's a whole site dedicated to the teaching of how to use it and stories made with the aid of it. Due to the boolean nature of it all, however, every option only has two states, "On" or "Off" (also "True" and "False"), to check how various things work during certain events. (example: ever wanted to go into buy mode during a fire?)
So it's a general term, not a The Sims term. Ok, didn't know that.

Thank you this is great! So very helpful!
No problem, glad to have been of help :D I didn't know anything about the boolprop cheat either, so I helped me too :)

Well i have the house in its own separate neighborhood for this in case anything goes wrong. Thanks for the warning though. And so far its still running ok. We will have to see how it goes once I start adding people.
You should probably make a backup of the building (or even entire neighborhood) before adding Sims, so you don't loose all your hard work.
Or even better, upload it to the The Sims Exchange ;)

Offline Danger Mouse

• Dig Dug Digger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2007, 07:24:34 am »
Its looking awesome with all the trees and grass on the outside :).
Good Grief!

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2007, 02:48:53 pm »

You should probably make a backup of the building (or even entire neighborhood) before adding Sims, so you don't loose all your hard work.

I am not sure if i can upload it to the sim exchange. Only because I have so much custom content in it. However i probably could upload it to http://www.modthesims2.com/, since i got most of my custom content from there. The other problem i see is listing all the custom content. Do you know a way to find out everything used on the lot and where it came from?

Offline Didero

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2007, 12:23:10 am »
I am not sure if i can upload it to the sim exchange. Only because I have so much custom content in it. However i probably could upload it to http://www.modthesims2.com/, since i got most of my custom content from there. The other problem i see is listing all the custom content. Do you know a way to find out everything used on the lot and where it came from?
It's not absolutely necessary to upload it somewhere, you just have to copy the game files of your Arcology to a backup-directory. If something goes wrong, because of the size or the amount of Sims, and you can't open the Arcology anymore, you can just copy the backup files over the corrupt files, and try again. How you can backup game files is explained on www.modthesims2.com here, but you probably found that yourself already ;)

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2007, 03:01:35 am »
Yeah i already back up my stuff. Not just for this but backed up stuff in general cause i have lost stuff too many times and approximately back it up once a month to be safe. It has actually saved me a few times already. Most recently when my hardware burnt up. My virus protection has gotten much better and i have not gotten a virus in a long while.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:49 am »
I tried adding more stuff but it is getting to laggy already. I can only imagine with sims inside it.

I think i will do another project though.

Locking this thread since i cannot continue.