Author Topic: The Sentence Game... online!  (Read 31900 times)

Offline /lurk

• Dragon Warrior Slime
    • View Profile
Re: The Sentence Game... online!
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2007, 04:22:21 pm »
This looks like ever such a fun game.
Not a winner anymore.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2007, 11:13:29 am »
It is when you're just playing it and enjoying yourself.
That's all I'm going to pay attention to from now on.

Today, there were only like 14 games going. One after the other, I submitted several starter sentences.
If anyone is going to play, chances are they'll get one of mine.

EDIT: Well, sorry to say, but TSG is complete ass.
I don't want to become a member (ie. pay a fee) just to avoid the douchebags that are ruining it.

The Sentence Game officialy fails.

Got anything else?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:56:00 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2007, 05:07:39 pm »
I'm afraid I have to agree with you... although maybe this unfortunate little incident will snap the admin out of his complacency when it comes to banning people.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2007, 12:43:54 am »
The thing has been beset by people who are just outright spamming with a ton of sockpuppet accounts. I've seen a lot of ****ty admins in my time online but Eric has seriously got to be the most lazy bastard i've seen yet. He set himself up for this by sitting on his hands with his jesus policy of love everyone, ban no-one. And I saw him in one of the troll games which somehow glitched and extended itself massivley in length saying it was one of his favourites. It's patently obvious he doesn't intend to do **** about it.

So yes, TSG has reached catastrophic levels of fail. A shame really, it's a good premise only absolutley ruined by inhuman levels of apathy and incompetence. Shame of it is we'd be hard pressed to do our own version here on the forums due to the openly visual nature of a forum.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2007, 01:22:53 am »
I just spent like ten minutes trying to figure out a way to do it in PMs but then it would take freaking forever. I figured it would require a middle man to pass the necessary game part along, but that just slows it down hugely.
TSG.com's system is fine. There just needs to be a touch more 'iron fist' in there, and I somehow can't see that happening.
I won't say I'm an expert in this sort of thing, but I would have at least predicted a popularity boom and a percentage of douchebags with it. For every problem, there is a solution.
...and for every solution, there is eventually going to be circumvention.
*shrug*

I guess wouldn't mind becoming a member. I don't really play all that much though. First time I gave up on the place was due to all the wild meme-whoring and boring games; I also pretty much stopped caring to spend five to ten minutes doing research every time just to be accurate (I liked being accurate, 'cause it tends to be surprising; I aimed to impress and amuse, not simply to satisfy). That's not a problem though. I could definitely get into that groove again.
I'm mostly tired of drawing the same thing over again, even though I really didn't do it that often. I suppose it was mainly the idea of having to do it that started turning me off.
There's that and how harshly sentences are rated.  :-\

Eric says he can work with me on the issue of not playing often, but I'm still really skeptical. I come back today and I find that the site is totalled by dumbass. While I'd like the security of the member's only area, I feel like I'm being forced to make a choice I can't say I'm ready to make just yet.
That 10 minute minimum on drawings was a good idea though, I guess. Apparently done to slow down those morons, which is at least something.

I sent Eric a whole list of stuff before, but nothing seems to have come of it.
I also sent him more today mostly regarding re-registering and email validation and all that, a bunch of solutions to possible problems.

I'd like it if I ran my own or assisted someone else, but it really does sound like it'd turn out to be a huge pain.
I don't know.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but phooey.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 01:28:24 am by Gauphastus »
"Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you f**k."
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2007, 02:36:55 am »
TSG.com's system is fine. There just needs to be a touch more 'iron fist' in there, and I somehow can't see that happening.
The thing was, the guy who runs it all said that he cant find a way to truly ban people without putting domains on a ban-list. You know, register a new free email account, open a new account with it, start spamming again. I can understand that, but even opening new accounts takes a bit of time, and if he kept banning the tenacious ones they'd get bored of having to go through the cycle and just leave.

Ever since the long-winded Groomble crap I sat through, and that a good number of my pictures were never really voted back up from the 1-bombs, I lost a lot of faith/fun in the game. I stuck around for a while, occasionally opening a new sentence and voting on other peoples threads (as I noticed before the trollburst, people were voting down the other good stuff, and voting up the terrible). I said it a while back outside of the forum and i'll say it here : "R.I.P : The Sentence Game".

I guess wouldn't mind becoming a member. I don't really play all that much though. First time I gave up on the place was due to all the wild meme-whoring and boring games; I also pretty much stopped caring to spend five to ten minutes doing research every time just to be accurate (I liked being accurate, 'cause it tends to be surprising; I aimed to impress and amuse, not simply to satisfy). That's not a problem though. I could definitely get into that groove again.
I'm mostly tired of drawing the same thing over again, even though I really didn't do it that often. I suppose it was mainly the idea of having to do it that started turning me off.
There's that and how harshly sentences are rated.  :-\
I figured that Groomble, puppet/puppet2/etc, hendrix and the others, were just serving the hosts purposes, by trying to herd people towards registering, and that might have been the real reason why he didnt show -any- interest in sorting things out. I guess now he's paying the price. As for the picture/sentence content, I definately have to agree there. Having strange, nonsensical things to draw can be fun sometimes, but by the end I was really missing coherance. If what you're told to draw is just too strange/elaborate, you just really dont feel like trying any more, especially once the room for interpretation was practically eliminated.

While I'd like the security of the member's only area, I feel like I'm being forced to make a choice I can't say I'm ready to make just yet.
Anybody who keeps playing and wants to actually have good games, are pretty much forced to register. For all intents and purposes you can consider TSG a pay-game now.

I'd like it if I ran my own or assisted someone else, but it really does sound like it'd turn out to be a huge pain.
I had thought about it too, but the trouble is I have no real knowledge of programming/scripting. I can pick up the basics given a little while, but it wouldnt be enough to fix up a stable HTML-based TSG replacement. Anybody trying to fill those shoes would probably have a lot of frustration on their hands, so if the game ever reincarnates, it would probably be better to do so, through an actual client program rather than HTML.

Offline Gauphastus

• Ice Climber
  • Hey, man.
    • View Profile
    • Gauphastumblr
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2007, 03:33:57 pm »
Dude... he just gave everybody (that he knows he can trust anyway) a temporary one-week membership.

Trying really hard to press those memberships. This is probably reacting from that comment I made about not knowing what I'm getting into with memberships (wanted to know about the intelligence level, quality, etc.)

I still have my doubts. It seems from all those issues in the past and the recent stupidity that I've become almost completely uninterested.  :-\

Oh well.
       ~Ricky Wangstrom

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 06, 2007, 04:20:17 pm »
I don't know why, but I keep getting this weird feeling that this sentence game thing is like society in microcosm.

The guy in charge is naturally a member of the privileged elite. When the paupers start complaining of the constant troll attack at first he thinks theres no problem, then pushes everyone to be like him and live in a troll-proof castle, despite the fact this is impossible for some.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 06, 2007, 04:42:37 pm »
There's always http://eatpoopucat.com

Offline Kishmond

• Ultima III Time Lord
  • Alfalfa Mainframe
    • View Profile
    • I'll Eat Your Brains
« Reply #129 on: March 06, 2007, 08:10:02 pm »
I dunno, I think once I get enough money (see also: any money) I'll sign up for the membership. KS did, and those are some good people playing amongst the clutter.
Yeah, [Kishmond] came back from Africa, but the ponies have him now.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 07, 2007, 12:31:54 am »
No I didnt. I got a weeks free like everyone else because of the troll attacks.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 07, 2007, 02:04:29 am »
He can stuff it up his backside. He honestly means to tell me that in the midst of a colossal troll attack that he's shown absolutely zero resolve to do anything about, it JUST SO HAPPENED to be a coincidence that not only did a huge swath of un-ruined members only games appeared out of thin air, but the scent of un-ruination also JUST SO HAPPENED to get wafted under our noses? This'd be deciet if it wasn't as transparent than a window.

Also as my sweetheart (you know her as RacieB) on MSN just pointed out to me, if he can figure out who the non-wreckers are, how come he cant get rid of the ones who are? Seriously, how flagrant can one person get in getting people to do something.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 07, 2007, 03:17:26 am »
You can't really blame the guy for building a business model that encourages people to pay for a better experience (if that's his intention). That's pretty much what the entirety of the world's service industry is built on.

Also, I didn't get a free membership. But then, I don't play it any more since that crap kicked off. Heh.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 03:19:09 am by Daxx »

Offline Abraxas

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • TheSentenceGame
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2007, 11:50:22 pm »
Hello All!

I just found this thread and wanted to reply to some of the posts.  The trolling that became a problem at the end of this thread has been resolved.  I made a lot of changes due to suggestions from users (like Gauphastus, who had some excellent ones) and added banning of users and IPs.  I also added moderators who can ban users.

I created this site as a hobby for some friends of mine, and when it started to get bigger, I created the Member area as a way to guarantee that users who really enjoy the game can have clean, good games.  The trolling at that point was really minor and I just figured it was easier to ignore them (since, generally, trolls get bored and leave when ignored).  In the recent trolling episode, however, the shear volume was enough to ruin the game for a couple of days.

I've definitely not been "sitting on my hands" though - I was actually up most of the night after that trolling cleaning it up and adding memberships, etc.  I happened to not see it happen for the first evening -- which is why it went on so long.

The "infinite" game Luminar mentioned was a very old one that was due to a glitch in development.  I said it was a favorite just as a joke. 

I added the temporary memberships as a way to keep the "good" users like you guys from being frustrated by the trolling.  (which is the reason why Luminar noticed a slew of clean member games all at once -- it was the influx of temporary members).  We just started passing them out to anyone we saw playing who had some history showing they're not a troll.  Certainly, as was suggested, I wouldn't mind more paying members -- the website isn't free, of course; it's the memberships that keep it running.  That being said, the real reason I created the site it to have a fun game, and a fun community.  I'm really just happy if I break even.

I've also tried to stop the "meme whoring" (as it has been so referred) - like "Ghost Shark".  The recently-added wiki, actually, is good for that; since it really lets users know how annoying these continuing memes are.

I think that the game will continue alright as an HTML game -- just needed a bit of (more) security.  That being said, there's always going to be some jerk who wants to ruin something fun; and they'll probably always get a couple of ruined games in there.  I honestly didn't think that 0.20 a day was much for someone if they wanted to guarantee that they wouldn't have any ruined games.  If I've insulted someone who cannot afford the memberships then I am truly sorry for that.  I am very open to suggestions.  If you'll take a look at the release notes or forum pages of thesentencegame,  I hope it's an indication of my dedication to improve TSG and to take all of your thoughts into account.

That's all I've got for now -- I do hope you'll stop by again and give it another shot.  The recent games have actually been really great and it'd be a real shame to lose you guys because of one bad trolling episode.

(and feel free to post a reply to this - I'll stop back in in a day or two to check the thread)

Offline Abraxas

• Breakout Battler
    • View Profile
    • TheSentenceGame
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2007, 11:52:05 pm »
Forgot to mention that I am the guy running TSG  :)