Author Topic: Blow up your homeplanet?  (Read 4131 times)

Offline kuninobu

• Fire Truck Driver
  • Your evil, cruel and totally handsome Emperor!
    • View Profile
Blow up your homeplanet?
« on: February 05, 2007, 01:52:41 am »
We know that we're able to blow up planets, maybe even stars. These planets may include planets inhabited by amother intelligent civilization, friend or foe. This could be used as the ultimate weapon to wipe out hostile civilizations.
But what if I would blow up my own homeplanet? Not that I really would like to do that, but what if?
Let's say the planet is invaded by a superior enemy force, and you could wipe that force out by blowing my planet up, what do you think will happen?

Will Wright confirmed in the video with Brian Eno, that if you would get killled in creature phase you'll go back to the previous generation and start over from there (maybe this was confirmed before, if it has then I've missed it..). Maybe the same applies here?
Or could you, with the UFO you have and maybe abducted creatures of your own species, start all over on a new planet? Maybe land on a nice planet in the outskirts of the galaxy and rebuild and finally take revenge on the enemy that invaded your planet in the first place?

Personally, I prefer the later. It'll make it possible for the player to make his own "scenarios", as in this case start all over with the UFO as your tool. I think that is what I will do if I get bored in the space phase :)

What are your thought on this subject?

Offline Malt

• Swordquest Superstar
  • Experience Dance Tonight!
    • View Profile
Re: Blow up your homeplanet?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:17:43 am »
General consensus was that enemies can attack your planet, but not destroy it completely, or destroy your race completely. It may be a toggleable option.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 06:44:03 am by LadyM »
DUDETHISISJUSTWRONGGOLOCKTHISTHREADMALT4MOD

Offline Huckbuck

• Balloon Fight Aerialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 06:58:53 am »
The question is, can YOU blow up your own homeplanet??
@davidramnero

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 07:41:12 am »
I don't think so, because in many games you can't kill your team mates too. But in some games you can kill your mates, but then it's game over.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline unlamp

• Bezerk Brawler
  • I'm Dreaming of a red X-mas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 07:58:38 am »
you probly can if u have cities on other planets

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 08:15:33 am »
I imagine that you could blow up you own planet.  It would go against the concept of spore to have a screen pop up that says "Sorry, you can't blow up your own planet."  As for what happens after you blow up your own planet, I don't know.  If you don't have any colonies, you might have to start over.   But if you do have colonies, maybe the biggest one becomes your new base planet.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline heylister

• Brain Games Mastermind
  • i want space suits in spore Mr Wright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 08:29:14 am »
i think if your homeplanet gets destroyed then it just means you'll have less money to spend on cool new things. Then you'll have to start other colonies to make money (points) to buy.... guns and.... death star factories. You'll also probably make money from finishing missions if you can be bothered.
Don’t worry about avoiding temptation – as you grow older, it starts avoiding you.

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 08:47:44 am »
Destruction of your planet, by you or otherwise, should be a very real possibility. It would be a downright kill to the fun factor (IMO) of the game when you reach Space. Losing a colonized planet would probably be like losing a city in Civ, while losing your home planet being analogous to losing your capital. You'll have a major loss on your hands, but you can still recover. Losing all your planets shouldn't be a losing situation either. That should only be when your entire species is extinct, which means including those on your ship.
Virus Buster.

Offline Noflunk

• Mystery House Madman
  • Why is his head soooo big?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 08:53:03 am »
I agree with the idea that you can destroy your own planet, it seems Will Wright give you the option to end it all in most of his games. Sims you could kill your sims off (in many different ways) Simcity could destroy your city when ever you liked. So it just seems that he would extended this option to destroying your own creations in Spore as well, just because it will be so much fun to do so.

Offline captainjp

• Phoenix Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 09:06:27 am »
Maybe when im pissed off i blow up planet, but never my own planet!

Home sweet home i tell ya.

Offline The_Kev

• Joust Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Fear Productions
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 10:40:33 am »
I agree with the idea that you can destroy your own planet, it seems Will Wright give you the option to end it all in most of his games. Sims you could kill your sims off (in many different ways) Simcity could destroy your city when ever you liked. So it just seems that he would extended this option to destroying your own creations in Spore as well, just because it will be so much fun to do so.
Hmm, I think you're right.
"When my strength is your weakness, I'll become fearless." - Fear

Proud owner of:

Offline Caltrop

• Defender Devotee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 12:52:57 pm »
By UFO Stage, your avatar is your spaceship. Everything else is superfluous. So, you could blow up all your colonies and have only your ship, floating through space all alone. However, I imagine that cities provide income, so there is a good reason to have them. :)
Spore RPG: http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=2069.0

STRAWBERRYCLOCK IS KING OF THE PORTAL

Offline WinterWolf

• Fire Truck Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 02:28:21 pm »
I would just blow up my home planet. Then go on my merry way, building a colony or two on every planet I find.
Quote from: Dake
no one who makes a penis, will make it out of the water..with nothing but a smooth shaft and a wiglling body, the penis is easy lunch for anything else

Offline Netherflare

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • Peski's > You
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 07:31:03 pm »
why?
I Want Patience, and I Want It NOW!

Peskitoriantais - http://www.gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=5046.0
Violandro - http://violandro.myminicity.com/

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 05:12:47 am »
I'd like the option to blow my own homeworld up purely because it's the oldschool thing to include the capability of doing it. Back in old games you were quite capable of turning on your own people or just doing generally nasty things for the hell of it, there weren't restrictions and rails to follow as is commonly the case in this day and age of games.