Author Topic: MASS EFFECT ~Bioware's Gift to Us~  (Read 38580 times)

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
MASS EFFECT ~Bioware's Gift to Us~
« on: February 02, 2007, 11:58:18 am »

Mass Effect is the new game for the 360 from the developers behind the original KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic), Bioware. It has been identified as the first of three planned games; it's due to release May 22nd. With the ability to customize your character in a variety of ways, explore the galaxy, and affect the course of events through your every decision (during dialogues and elsewhere), it's looking to be one of the more ambitious titles to hit the console market this generation.

Official Site
Developer's IGN Blog
Trailer (newest)
E3 Demo Movie

So, who's excited?

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: MASS EFFECT ~Bioware's Gift to Us~
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 12:28:58 pm »
this game makes me happy I have a 360 and a HDTV. so pretty.
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 12:33:14 pm »
I may have to buy a 360 for this.

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline Fink

• Elevator Action Operator
  • I have more stars than you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 12:38:13 pm »
Yeah, I can't wait for this one ether.

It's a good thing I have a job to pay for all these great games coming out this year.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 12:39:40 pm »
With the ability to customize your character in a variety of ways, explore the galaxy, and affect the course of events through your every decision (during dialogues and elsewhere)
it's looking to be one of the more ambitious titles to hit the console market this generation.
Every time I hear people/sites listing "features" like this, which are pretty standard in most of the enjoyable games, it just make me think "Pretty lights, average game".

Offline Cool AN

• Mansion Maniac
  • Life is worth much more than gold
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 12:45:02 pm »

Every time I hear people/sites listing "features" like this, which are pretty standard in most of the enjoyable games, it just make me think "Pretty lights, average game".

Did you just dis Bioware? You have just made yourself an enemy for life!

Quote from: /lurk
PALM: Oh face, come closer. I've needed your touch since I heard that fundamentalist Christians were being stupid again.
FACE: Not again! Quickly Palm, come to me!

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 02:15:20 pm »
With the ability to customize your character in a variety of ways, explore the galaxy, and affect the course of events through your every decision (during dialogues and elsewhere)
it's looking to be one of the more ambitious titles to hit the console market this generation.

A-hahaha. Nice. You're ... you're insane.
In which games are those features standard? [And I mean in the way they're being used for ME, not just a minor version of what it offers.]

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 03:05:01 pm »
Did you just dis Bioware? You have just made yourself an enemy for life!
Psh, fanboys. No, I didnt dis' bioware, I said something about regurgitated "this game is so great" things.

A-hahaha. Nice. You're ... you're insane.
In which games are those features standard? [And I mean in the way they're being used for ME, not just a minor version of what it offers.]
"Customising your character in a variety of ways" is in an aweful lot of games now, as the term can mean anything from "you pick the color of your shoes", "you have three body types, three faces and three classes to choose from!!!1" all the way up to City of Heroes costume making such.

"Explore the galaxy" : Free roaming sections, or perhaps a large free-roaming world with hotspots to visit. Or it might pretty much drag you around by the nose where you're "supposed" to go, which is still exploring the universe, only in-character. Not a new thing.

"affect the course of events through your every decision (during dialogues and elsewhere)"
That can mean anything. It might just mean "if you hit a hostile NPC, it dies, you effected the world, grats" or "if you talk to an NPC, you get replies", or just "there are alternate endings" / "there is more than one path to the ending". Even if they add an aweful lot of things you can do to seriously impact the way the game goes, its not new. Its an old thing, but just using new hardware to do more of it.

In before "Features real-time gaming experience" and "Revolutionary action feedback system", also known as playing the game, and things happening when you do stuff. It'd be nice if they actually tried something a little more ambitious than extending view distances, increasing texture resolutions and adding more physics-props with these new consoles. They'll probably get around to that eventually, I guess.

Offline PHI-1618

• Star Wars Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 04:08:04 pm »
In before "Features real-time gaming experience" and "Revolutionary action feedback system", also known as playing the game, and things happening when you do stuff. It'd be nice if they actually tried something a little more ambitious than extending view distances, increasing texture resolutions and adding more physics-props with these new consoles. They'll probably get around to that eventually, I guess.

This is why I included links to sites about the game: I didn't want to have to spell out each and every teeny-tiny thing the game does. I agree that sometimes feature lists are lame, but the ones I mentioned exist in ME in very unique ways. Don't criticize the game unless you've watched the videos or read something other than my quick blurb about it.

Offline Uroboros

• Duck Hunter
  • Am I awake?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 07:34:27 pm »
Don't criticize the game unless you've watched the videos or read something other than my quick blurb about it.
Dont worry, I wont.

Offline MetallicDragon

• Apprentice Enchanter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 07:58:26 pm »
I've only seen a few snippets of this game at is looks freakin' awesome. I can't wait. Well I can but I'd just rather not.

Offline Sub

• Time Pilot Trekker
  • End is tough.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 10:40:59 pm »
I'm buying a 360 for this, whenever I can come up with the money.  It's going to be amazing.

Offline Piloteer

• Ensign Seventh Class
  • We're going to hit the mountain!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 12:48:07 am »
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this as well! The game looks great, and I'm really digging the dialoge system. Plus, the prospect of exploring this huge galaxy is just too good to pass up!

I can't wait to see how it turns out. In the meantime, the final boxart for the game was revealed not-too-long ago:

Hey, that means we are getting close, right? :)

Offline WinterSnowblind

• BurgerTime Chef
  • Exitus Acta Probat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 12:59:31 am »
Uroboros, I may have agreed with you that the game just sounds over hyped, but you're missing one very important fact.  This is Bioware, they have an absoloutly flawless record of making completely awesome games.  I have the utmost faith in them.

I love KoTOR and Jade Empire last gen, so I've really been looking forward to this.  The dialogue system seems to have been improved quite a bit.  I like that you don't select your exact response anymore, but instead select a type of reaction, should make things a little more interesting, and it's great to see the characters themselves seem to do more than just bob around slightly in the cut-scenes.

And of course the battle system has been completely overhauled.  If there was one thing to dislike about KoTOR, it was the slow, turn based, boring battle system  But for Mass Effect they've actually had Panedemic help them smooth it out, and it actually looks like it plays like Gears of War.

So we have an RPG with characters and story elements similiar to KoTOR, and a battle system like Gears of War.  
How can anyone not be excited about the game?

Offline ilikesanta

• Karateka Krazy
  • '06 Time Magizine Person of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 02:12:36 am »
I wouldn't say the battle system plays like gears of war? When I think of GoW, I think stop and pop, and sawing people in two. I don't think the battle system will be all that great, probably better then KotOR, but it still looks kinda turn based under the hood to me.

I been thinking I need to redownload the trailers and watch them in HD  ;D
I need a new tag.
My Spore Creatures