Author Topic: Things you love, things you hate  (Read 29893 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Things you love, things you hate
« on: February 02, 2007, 03:18:54 am »
This topic's simple enough. Of all the "little things" in the world, name your pet hates, and pet... loves. I guess. Is pet love a term? Sounds more like some kind of sordid pastime I want no part of, but you get what i'm getting at.. hopefully... oh yes, and discuss them if you feel like it. Wouldn't be much of a topic if you didn't do that.

Little things I love:
- Metal played at skull-shattering volumes.. shouldnt have to elucidate on this one
- Clean skin on fresh bedding, mega comfortable
- Subtle, cool breezes
- Overcast days so it's completley grey and subdued at 12 noon
- The smell of things burning
- Creosote! That stuff is addictive, I swear (Smelling it. Drinking it would probably cause an acute case of death)
- Those little spiders that watch you if you move, they're just too cute
- Flesh-shearingly cold temperatures

Pet Hates:
- Chewing gum, I dont want to see your jaw flapping
- Dust, I HATE dust! it gets everywhere
- Mobile phones, they're slightly useful gizmos that have been fashion'd to death
- Eating in public, you can't be that hungry (and bad mannered) (restaurants and the like are obviously exempt from this one)
- Smokers at bus stops/train platforms, go poison yourself somewhere else, I want no part of it
- Erratic controls in games, was that the "jump" button or the "die in lava" button (Sonic Adventure 2, i'm looking at you..)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: Things you love, things you hate
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 05:36:40 am »

Little things I love:
- Staying up until 4am talking about things like "Which 5 famous people would you save for the purposes of rebuilding society if the human race was wiped out" or "What George Lucas should have done to make sure the new Star Wars trilogy didnt suck"
- Really windy days, but without rain
- The fact that at University (in contrast to all forms of education before then) you can leave exams when youre finished, rather than when 3 hours have passed and your bladder is about to rupture/your rear has fused to the plastic chair theyve made you sit on.
- The blank and uncomprehending look on most people's faces when I tell them what subject I study
- Robinson's Pink Grapefruit and Barley squash. I don't know why, but I'm hooked on that stuff.

Pet Hates:
- Julie Burchill. This woman tops my imaginary list of people I would kill if it wasnt against the law. You aren't working class you stupid woman! You write full time for the Times! Idiot.
- People that claim its hypocritical to celebrate christmas if you arent a Christian.
- Children
- People who think babies are cute. They arent.
- Pictures of 'funny animals' on greetings cards, fridge magnets, calendars and ALL OVER THE INTERNET.
- Pre-teen (or even teenage) girls who wear clothes with "angel" or worse "slut" written on them, or variations on those themes.
- Members of so called "non-conformist" subcultures (ie Punks, New Agers etc) who nonetheless dress in identical "uniforms" and all hold exactly the same beliefs.
- Those patches that punks wear that have crossed-out Swastikas on them. What message are they trying to get across? Nazis are bad? Well, no s***! Maybe if there was actually a strong Nazi or otherwise fascist presence in this part of the world this would be acceptable, but there isnt, so its just annoying.
- People who think the word Indie refers to a style of music and subsequently classify bands signed under major record labels as being 'Indie'.
- People who think theyre really in the know because they know that Disney threw those Lemmings over the cliff. Its old news people!
- People who still think The Simpsons is as good as it ever was.
- People who interrupt a friendly and possibly trivial argument youre having with someone, for the sake of just having an enjoyable debate with something to the effect of "Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, now stop arguing."
- People in lectures who still seem to think its hysterical when they hear a word that sounds a bit like a swearword or sexual organ (Invagination, cleft, gonads etc) or any mention of a drug (Lecturer "The secondary metabolic product of the Ergot fungus is similar to LSD" people sitting behind me "Hahahahaha! Ive got to get some of that. Hahahahaha!") Idiots.

I think I have more hates but If i list them I'll get too angry.

Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline emmet

• Street Fighter Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 02:09:31 pm »
Things I love-
-Sleeping in
-Going onto random forums (not this one) and telling them I am like, 33, for the sake of having an actual vital part in a good argument, most people are too stupid...
-Going to the movies late on Saturday which just friends, even if it's terrible.
-Days when I feel as careless as when I was 8
-Day that are hot enough to walk around with a t-shirt on, but cold enough to need to wear full length trousers and not get burnt
-Just lying on grass and chatting
-Days when I don't have anything bad looming over me in the near future (which are very rare, for all of us I'm sure)
-Nights when I'm happy enough to forget about the above.

Things I hate-
-Stupid people in my class who are incapable of reading out loud or being at all quiet or even seeming intelligent. (Teacher says: "Pick a novel at least 300 pages and write a book report within one month. Majority of class: ONE MONTH?!?! How can you read a whole novel in one month.)
-As Krakow said, people who laugh at things that even look like genitals (this is true, people laughed at an x-ray of the pelvic area in biology)
-Bad stuff in general (This is really obvious, but it still counts)
-Not getting credit for something I've done, even worse, having someone else take it.
-Depressed people in general (Life's hard, GET OVER IT! The faster you do, the faster you can fix it.)
-People who think they're all that, when they aren't.

*Goes to rant in the angry dome*
No way dude, you're trolling me.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
  • Dawn of the Final Day (24 hours remain)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 03:08:49 pm »
- Eating in public, you can't be that hungry (and bad mannered) (restaurants and the like are obviously exempt from this one)
What's so bad about eating in public?

- The blank and uncomprehending look on most people's faces when I tell them what subject I study
What subject do you study?

Little things I love:
-Nature.
-Idiosyncrasy.
-Public transport. You heard me.
-Having nothing to do.
-Stupid jokes.
-Rants.
-Trolls.

Pet Hates:
-The suburbs. Want to live somewhere safer than the city, but less isolated than the country? The suburbs has the worst of BOTH worlds!
-Dubbing. Especially on Asian movies. I'll take the subtitles thanks.
-Political correctness as an alternative to free speech.
-People who make disclaimers before saying something offensive, eg "I'm not racist but..." or "No offense but..." I know that might seem not to sit well with the political correctness one. It's the disclaimers I have a problem with - they're just dishonest.
-I'll have to steal Krakow's people who think the Simpsons is still funny one.
-Also dust. Especially because I'm mildly allergic to it. Though it does make for a good excuse to avoid tidying things up.
-Bebo and the fact that I can't seem to stop joining it.
-People who say things like:
Life's hard, GET OVER IT! The faster you do, the faster you can fix it.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 03:14:46 pm »
What's wrong with that? It's either that or emo kid.

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 03:16:59 pm »
lil things i love:
sleeping
eating
comedy and stuff
nature can be so beautiful to  ;D

pet hates:
wel i gues humanity is kinda a mess...al that political crap is making me sick
and grey...not grey as a colour but outside when its like misty or in a big city its really making me feel bad
also: responsability :P why do i have to do al that stuf XD

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 03:18:08 pm »
Krakow, I think i'm in love with you now. Just an aside.

As for eating in public, it comes across as being rude to me given it makes a mess, noise, and most of the time around here people will just throw on the floor when they decide they're done with it rather than finding a bin. It's a true pet hate in the sense it also comes across to me as bad mannered to eat in a place that's not specifically for eating in. Private places are obviously exempt, as are restaurants because they actually ARE for eating in.

And if "get over it" was that easy, why do you think so many across the world get into depression? There are both internal and external factors beyond any given person's control that they cannot "make better" no matter how much they try. That's what gets them down.

Offline emmet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 03:24:09 pm »
Ah, I guess I didn't go into that much, I mean middle class people with no good reason for being depressed, except for facing lifes everyday problems by wearing black and keeping their head down. Their are worse off people who HAVE a good reason to be depressed, of course.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 03:33:16 pm »
As for eating in public, it comes across as being rude to me given it makes a mess, noise, and most of the time around here people will just throw on the floor when they decide they're done with it rather than finding a bin. It's a true pet hate in the sense it also comes across to me as bad mannered to eat in a place that's not specifically for eating in. Private places are obviously exempt, as are restaurants because they actually ARE for eating in.
So would you object, say, to someone buying a sandwich at Subway and eating it at the park or on the street? Surely you wouldn't expect them to go into a restaurant to eat it, or to go home?

Ah, I guess I didn't go into that much, I mean middle class people with no good reason for being depressed, except for facing lifes everyday problems by wearing black and keeping their head down. Their are worse off people who HAVE a good reason to be depressed, of course.
Everyone's problems are going to seem bad to that person. Just because yours isn't the least fortunate life ever to have been lived doesn't mean you have no right to ever be unhappy.

If you had said people who are habitually depressed just because it's the done thing, I would have agreed with you.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 03:37:54 pm »
So would you object, say, to someone buying a sandwich at Subway and eating it at the park or on the street? Surely you wouldn't expect them to go into a restaurant to eat it, or to go home?

That's what I do. It isn't so hard... though in elaborate honesty, it's when it's on public transport it REALLY grinds my gears. I don't want to hear lipsmacking and chewing noises constantly from some slackjaw.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 03:40:18 pm »
It's hard for me. My house is a good hours' bus ride from town, and it's generally frowned upon going into a restaurant to eat food you got somewhere else.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 03:43:02 pm »
Frowned on..? Thinking on it I think it's outright disallowed here. But like I said, it's a pet hate. They aren't always that explicable.. still, I suppose it's going off my own bad experiences more than anything else. I guess sitting down on a bench somewhere is fine, but just dont do it where there's a ton of other people.

Offline Bastardman

• Robotron Automaton
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 03:44:24 pm »
Haha, okay. I'll try and keep that in check.

Offline GrapeFruit

• Gorf Goon
  • I'm killing my way to truth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 03:50:14 pm »
Things I love
- Cuddling my cat (if she lets me)
- Those days when the weather is perfect (Sunny, about 20-22C, slight wind, not too much of it, but just enough to cool me off) and there's nothing to do
- Anything funny
- Being lucky, which I mostly am (sometimes it just depends on how you look on things)
   (eg.: My mom recently opened the fridge and a yogurt cup fell out. The contents splattered all over her pants. She was of course not very pleased about that. I asked what she's fussing about, because she was actually very lucky. Of course it's a shame that the cup fell out, but all the yoghurt could have spilled on the nearby rug, which would have been much harder to clean. Also, the fact that about 90% of the yogurt dropped on her pants just made it easier to clean up all the mess. Additionally, the pants would have needed some cleaning soon enough. She answered something like: "ummm, yes, you may have a point there")
- The "Don't take life too serious, you'll die anyway"-point-of-view (despite being a risky one)
- Sleeping
- Eating
- Gaming
- Lots of other things

Things I hate
I generally don't get worked up too much about meaningless stuff, it's just not worth the effort, but there are still some few things I really hate.
- People constantly complaining and moaning about things (or just life in general). I have to say that...

Quote from: Alwayswatching
Stuff happens, live with it
   ...just hits the nail on the head on how I think about it.
- If someone keeps fooling around, but I'm trying to discuss serious things seriously. That drives me crazy.
- Mushrooms. Ugh, please, get lost.
Quote from: Liquos
I can't wait that long! I'm gonna explode from patience!

Quote from: Parkaboy
"Around the world you may notice that other creatures evolve while others don't"
That's because some of them are christians.

Offline HolsteinCow

• Vanguard Venturer
  • NOT A TROLL
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 04:24:29 pm »
love

-Jesus
-The Bible
-God
-Guns
-America
-AIDS

hate

-Micheal Moore
-Ethnic-looking people (You know what I mean)
-Communists (ACLU, NAMBLA, NAACP, NBL, etc.)
-People that insist not all Arabs are terrorists. ::) Think about it. There's no way you can be a terrorist and Christian at the same time. Does that make any sense.
-People that insist .999999... = 1. ::) It's too bad ANYONE with a BRAIN DISAGREES WITH YOU.
-Computer nerds.
-Sweden, Finland and Molvania(goes under computer nerds but what the hell)
-Gay people.
-Any kind of drink above .5 proof.
-Blue staters.
-Ralph Naders.
-Ice skaters.
-People with mental disabilitities.