Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 17873 times)

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2007, 07:08:46 am »
My Windows 2000 is stupid.  The reason we bought the Laptop is because it auto-updated itself, and then refused to turn on.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
  • Do not feed the Giant Gnawling.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2007, 05:14:24 am »
Oh Joy...Windows auto-updated some drivers for me a few days ago, including my Sata RAID drivers...which then proceeded to show up as "removable devices". By the time I'd fixed that, my RAID array had degraded. Luckily it was mirroring and not striping.

Things like that is why i do not trust windows today. Heck i have stopped using XP for now because i dose odd things like that. I need a list of thing i need updated and thing i do not need updated and then do it manual but it will take a lot of time :(

Windows 2000 for me i guess. At least for now. Can do other stuff in Linux if needed.
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons
Star Citizen Ref code: STAR-JLJP-LRTC
When you singing up use code and get 5000 credits for free ;)

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2007, 09:20:27 am »
Actually, the story gets even better. 2 days ago all account information vanished from my IM program, Trillian...although all the logs and contacts are still there. So I had to recreate all the accounts (always fun when you don't remember all the passwords).

Then yesterday I noticed that...for some reason, I suddenly have 39gb more free space on the drive. It turns out, windows deleted every system restore point and who knows what else.

There are older restore points on the 2nd hard drive (the one that used to be mirroring), but I cannot access the folder because vista64 refuses to allow me to expand the access/viewing priviledges to even the administrator account. Maybe I'm just stupid, but this seems seriously user unfriendly to me.

...now where did I put my windows98 cd...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 09:22:29 am by T-BirD »

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2007, 11:29:08 am »
Well you really which to have a user effective OS and not a friendly one :)

But yeah i understand what you getting at. The User should always have the final word over any process on the computer i think. That means i should be able to access what ever i want if i am the Superuser or System administrator or whatever you wish to call it. (Normally however you do not what to run the system as a Superuser because how much power you do gain and all the programs you are running at that time. But is very useful when you do need to do advanced stuff with you system.)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2007, 08:49:23 pm »
Actually, the story gets even better. 2 days ago all account information vanished from my IM program, Trillian...although all the logs and contacts are still there. So I had to recreate all the accounts (always fun when you don't remember all the passwords).

Then yesterday I noticed that...for some reason, I suddenly have 39gb more free space on the drive. It turns out, windows deleted every system restore point and who knows what else.

There are older restore points on the 2nd hard drive (the one that used to be mirroring), but I cannot access the folder because vista64 refuses to allow me to expand the access/viewing priviledges to even the administrator account. Maybe I'm just stupid, but this seems seriously user unfriendly to me.

...now where did I put my windows98 cd...

Are you sure your system hasn't been compromised and the admin account is still the admin account? Cause if I were to hack your computer (hypothetically), I would delete your restore points and other similiar stuff to make sure my viruses held, get some account info, and make myself admin.

Or Vista really is that bad... and I'm just used to root.

Speaking of root, has anyone tried to install Linux on a Vista machine? I've just recently bought a new machine pre-installed with Vista, because my old Ubuntu/XP hybrid failed. Now I want to have a dual boot with Vista and Ubuntu, plus some extra OSes for security and stuff. Has anyone tried adding an OS to a Vista machine? I assume it would go off without a hitch, but Vista really puts me on the edge.

Offline T-BirD

• Battlezone Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2007, 09:09:25 pm »
Actually, that's what I thought as well. All my investigative work to try to dig up something unpleasant (besides Vista) has been in vain so far, however. No virus or other malware has been detected (AVG installed, plus a Trend Micro online scan), nothing unusual in msconfig, plus no unusual net activity (that I've seen).

It lets me do most things as admin...just doesn't want to let me look inside some hidden system folders.

Another thing that bugs the crap out of me is having to constantly give permission for programs to do the functions I've requested them to do. Maybe I'm blind, but I haven't found an option (yet) to disable this. I understand that this is an attempt to further protect the PC, but it can really be annoying sometimes.

Offline stuck

• Robotron Automaton
  • Who is John Galt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2007, 11:36:52 am »
Well, I installed Ubuntu on my PC so now I have a dual-boot. The installation went off without a hitch, though at one point I had to go back and manually partition the disk in Vista.

I think we had a 64-bit discussion a while back, and for your knowledge my computer has 2 64-bit processors, with 32 bit Vista installed on them, and now 64 bit Linux. I'm not sure how 32 bit processors would handle a 64 bit OS, though.

Offline Didero

• Turkey Shoot Terminator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2007, 12:04:45 pm »
I think we had a 64-bit discussion a while back, and for your knowledge my computer has 2 64-bit processors, with 32 bit Vista installed on them, and now 64 bit Linux. I'm not sure how 32 bit processors would handle a 64 bit OS, though.
They don't. I don't think you'll get a 64-bit OS installed on a PC with a 32-bit processor.

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2007, 07:57:57 am »
i cant get some mp4's to get put on my computer and run in itunes (video ipod) only 3 out of 7 work and their glitchy

Offline Yokto

• Street Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2007, 03:01:56 am »
They don't. I don't think you'll get a 64-bit OS installed on a PC with a 32-bit processor.

And if you do then the OS have some legacy support and is not a true 64-bit OS. (Even if it may have a 64-bit mode)
Check out my Creatures.
The Ęthirans
The Echin
The Jinnivons

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2008, 10:51:20 am »
I'm bringing this back with an issue I'm having and maybe someone can help me. I'm transferring my games to a newer desktop that has Vista Home Premium. The games seem to run okay but I can't minimize a game without the start/taskbar locking up for a time. This makes getting back into a game difficult. This has happened with Civ4 and Sims2. Also when I close Civ4 it takes a long time to be able to use the start menu/taskbar again. Today the Sims2 totally bogged down and I had to restart the system.

It seems like the system is tied up with using resources and it gets bogged down. Is anyone else having this problem? If so, did you fix it? At this point, I'm not too happy with Vista.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2008, 10:56:43 am »
I have the same problem, really if that is the only issue you're having you should quit complaining.

Have you installed all of the updates and everything for Vista? Also what are your system specs, I've seen a few cases recently where the computer that is running Vista does not have the recommended hardware.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:33 am »
I have to complain, its annoying. Especially if the game minimizes for an update I didn't want, I can't get back in. So what do you do? Wait it out?

Everything is updated. Everything should be great, it gets a high rating, I just don't understand the lock ups.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.60GHz
Nvidea 8800 GTS video card
400 GB hard drive
3 MB Ram
32 bit OS Vista Home Premium

Offline Belial0166

• Boot Hill Bandit
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 18, 2008, 11:57:11 am »
I have to complain, its annoying. Especially if the game minimizes for an update I didn't want, I can't get back in. So what do you do? Wait it out?

Everything is updated. Everything should be great, it gets a high rating, I just don't understand the lock ups.

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.60GHz
Nvidea 8800 GTS video card
400 GB hard drive
3 MB Ram
32 bit OS Vista Home Premium

I have never seen this, though my pc is a faster core2duo machine, but if the task bar freezes you should still be able to get back into a game/app by using Alt-Tab as this is a completely seperate process and so souldn't stall at the same time as the task bar.