Author Topic: Demo?  (Read 4530 times)

Offline Kellys40

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
Demo?
« on: June 29, 2005, 09:55:08 am »
I wondered if anyone knew if and when there might be a demo for Spore.  I realize the game isn't due out until late 2006, but still wondered.  Or perhaps how would one become a beta tester for this game....anyone know?  Thanks for any help.

Offline Oviraptor

• Shinobi Ninja
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
Re: Demo?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 10:09:29 am »
First, you should probably conduct a search via the "search" button before you post. There is a topic about demos not to far below this one.

Second, your guess is as good as mine.

Also, check the other demo topic for ideas/answers.

Offline Dauntless

• Pac-Man Maniac
  • EA = Electronic A*seholes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 02:52:01 pm »
It seems quite doubtful, but time will tell. Do what I do aswell, have a quick look for similar threads before posting a new one :)
dd/mm/yy

Remember, the Spore will be with you....one day

http://www.spore.com/view/profile/Plusi - My SPOREPEDIA Page

Offline vbGamer

• Sea Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 08:58:44 pm »
1 - There's several threads asking about demos, but I've never seen a demo from Maxis. (atleast in their older games).
2 - Don't know. Maybe show enough interest and they might ask you, or they might send some info to gaming sites asking for testers. (one criteria should be that you're not testing just to play the game early. I've seen that happen... :)).

Offline Yomiji

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 02:18:55 pm »
Maxis did put out the Sims 2 editor before the game came out right? Something to toy around with? Its not exactly a demo, but it would be fun to toy with some of the editors for Spore to pass the time until its released. ;D

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
  • And, boom goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 10:23:52 pm »
Read the other thread.. we talked about that.. most of use came to the agreement that, that be a bad idea, for one reason or another. It's not that we DON'T want it.. just that it's a bad idea.
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 11:36:23 pm »
Maxis did put out the Sims 2 editor before the game came out right?  Something to toy around with?  Its not exactly a demo, but it would be fun to toy with some of the editors for Spore to pass the time until its released.   Grin

Maxis had nothing to do with sims 2, it was entirely an EA deal.
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.

Offline Yomiji

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2005, 09:03:41 am »
Ah.. my bad about the mix up with Maxis and the sims, but still both share Will same quasi difference. Could you link me to the thread that mostly agrees its a bad idea? I never thought that would happen.

I kind of thought when Will said in the gdc video that the cd would be able to hold hundreds of thousands of critters so you could have plenty to mess with even without an internet connection that someone would have to make them. Didn't think he'd have just a few programmers locked up in a small room making all the creatures, figured it'd be easier if he let players get ahold of it for a little while before the release, that was just my logic.

So whats the down side exactly ifiin you don't wanna link me to the other thread?  ???

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2005, 03:46:55 pm »
Right on Page 1 of the Spore main forums... half way down...

http://gamingsteve.com/blab/index.php?topic=710.0

Read the whole topic..
"Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and hurt you." - Elvis Presley

Offline Yomiji

• Pong Paddle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2005, 04:18:45 pm »
Thanks for the link, scoped out all four pages.  You're right, they got some good points.  The whole computer generated creatures didn't seem so exciting to me, I was lookin forward to my cd comin loaded with player created crazies like people have been describing in these threads.  The beta testing before the release still sounds like it'd be nice if it happens.

Offline Doomsday

• Track and Field Jock
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2005, 05:12:43 pm »
Nor I.. I still think they'll have closed betas of it..  with a few open ones as well... basically they'll take people of the street near their studio ask them if they'd like to test something for them.. and get them to mess around with it.. basically you sign a release and they decide what to do with your content from their.. it's like how movie Commercials work.. They grab people off the street/mall.. and ask if they'd like to participate in a reveiw... they let you watch some commercials and you give your opinion... this is all marketing.. well the same thing is done for games for many reasons. Marketing, Stress Test, and the finding of glitches. So.. if you want to play Spore hang around some Maxis Stuidos later this year/early next (when it enters play test phase after finish coding and review),

Offline Sparr

• Crazy Climber Cuckoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2005, 10:36:02 am »
Erm, Maxis made the Sims2....that's why their logo is on everything....

Offline Quantum Burrito

• K.C. Munchkin Maestro
  • Up, Down, Strange, Charm, Top, Bottom, Burrito
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 03:19:40 pm »
No, thier logo is on it because they invented the concept of the sims.
Quote from: The Will
In a movie, one can always pull back and condemn the character or the artist ... But in playing a game ... we can be encouraged to examine our own values by seeing how we behave within virtual space.
tl;dr. But with all those shiny symbols and numbers it's probably awsome.