Author Topic: What are you playing now?  (Read 229301 times)

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
Re: What are you playing now?
« Reply #1335 on: May 28, 2012, 06:49:07 pm »
Is it actually good? It looked good, and I tried the demo but it was super short.
I like adventures.

I've got probably a good 80 hours into the game now, still not even close to the end (and then theres new game+ and the bonus dungeon with the bonus boss to fight)

the main quest will take you about 10 hours if you rush straight through them but your more than likely going to get sidetracked by other stuff, since some quests will have a timer (saving your childhood friend who runs off into the woods and will invariably come back to haunt you later on if you skip over it, or saving a rare item merchant from false persecution, or finding a magical tome for a wizard who if you do will come save your butt during a hard boss fight)

the lack of fast travel is probably my favorite part, the world actually tries to make you explore the world finding shortcuts and faster ways to reach further destinations (which generally have more powerful baddies) before nightfall and you get your face stomped in by the even bigger ghoulies that come out to play. It's also nice because of the random events, bandit raids on you, monsters attacking caravans, saving people that have been captured by ogres and stuff all happen as your just minding your business trekking back to the capital.

the pawn system can get....a bit annoying and make early game very curbstompish (im only lv 32 and my allies are all max job lv 60s that have knowledge of nearly everything) but it actually does help at times, an ally that knows a gryphon better will know to strike its wings to force it to fall to the ground and then burn it to smithereens

all in all, it's fun, the boss monsters are challenging fights and its kept me from getting bored when I realize a new tactic for fighting a golem or beholder
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:53:10 pm by Kaizer »

Offline GroxGlitch

• Gyruss Gyrusian
  • Somehow, I've even less of a clue what's going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:43 pm »
Kerbal Space Program, Space Marine, Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod 13, and Portal 2 when it doesn't make my graphics card have an aneurysm (great game, by the way!).

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: June 01, 2012, 04:43:05 pm »
finally beat dragons dogma and starting ng+

things I hated:
all melee classes are essentially useless even as meatshields since monsters just always go for who does the most damage which is always the mages, you get maybe 1-2 abilities at max vocation for melee classes that can do crap tons of damage but the set up times are ridiculous (warriors can 1 shot cyclops with their ultimate ability but it takes almost 45 seconds to charge)

your allies AI wont SPAM their spells if they are casters, if a monster is weak to fire, they will use their fireball once then wait about 2 minutes before using another fire type attack, they also do stupid enchants, sans darkness when fighting undead.

grappling monsters is pretty much useless as you either end up getting hit by their hitbox somehow or just get stuck in the "struggle" recovery position.

the final dungeon is almost as bad as the water temple

the big bad boss before the final dungeon drops only 1 weapon, a greatsword for warriors which is the single strongest greatsword in the game, completely throwing them into overkill territory for the final dungeon since the weapon is 3x stronger than any other weapon available at the shops at that point.

things that were awesome:

the plot twist was interesting, made me feel like a dick for not doing every single quest in the game.

fighting never got stale

there's no arrows in the knee

monsters dont scale with your level so you actually get a sense of becoming stronger as you progress through the game and become able to venture further from the capital to stronger monster infested zones

hybrid vocations like magik archer and mythic knight were a lot of fun to play, mainly because they were sorcerers that actually weren't glass cannons

people will actually be pissed off at you if you don't help them on their quests

the fact that your characters size, muscularity, weight, etc actually factor in to how much crap he can carry and how quickly he will become exhausted

yea so....going to go play ng+ for another 100+ hours bai bai

Offline Celdur

• R-Type Force Pod
  • :33
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: June 01, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »
odd that you dont mention pawns never shutting the hell up.
and im doing well enough as a melee class myself, except when fighting special monsters like zombies, where you pretty much need fire.

the grappling thing works well actually, but you have to time it right

Quote from: Krakow sam
That quote is actualy very witty, Celdur. I suggest you use that in your signature.

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: June 02, 2012, 10:21:52 am »
Sims 2 gives my entire computer an aneurysm. With that machine, Vista, and dial-up, I'm pretty much limited to my n64.

Offline Kaizer

• Mail Order Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: June 02, 2012, 10:41:22 am »
odd that you dont mention pawns never shutting the hell up.
and im doing well enough as a melee class myself, except when fighting special monsters like zombies, where you pretty much need fire.

the grappling thing works well actually, but you have to time it right

i never really listened to the pawns since I had music on most of the time, and thats kind of my point with melee classes 90% of the enemies your going to battle in the last hours of the game all need elements or fly around, it's a pain in the ass swinging your sword around hoping to smack down a wyvern. and yea grappling does work wonders but i don't like how I sometimes will randomly get smashed into thin air for no reason and almost die

Offline Legodragonxp

• Excitebike Gearhead
  • Now for some real user power...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 24, 2012, 05:53:58 pm »
Driver San Francisco. Free roam driving with Matrix Agent like ability to take over other people.

-Lego

Offline Slinky

• Mr. Do! Disciple
  • hey there
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 29, 2012, 06:20:59 pm »
Spider-man, N64. Good fun.

Offline Ultimatum

• Wild Gunman Gangster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: August 24, 2012, 05:45:14 am »
Populous the beginning and as of yesterday,Fallout 3

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #1344 on: August 24, 2012, 06:17:19 am »
A little bit of Minecraft but not much of anything else.

(so close to finishing Skyrim but no time to invest in it.)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1345 on: August 24, 2012, 06:29:54 am »
Just finished a 13 hour game of Medieval II.

Played as Egypt. By the time I took Constantinople and won, the empire held the entire southern half of the map and a good bit of Northern France and England. They entirely encircled the Mediterranean Sea and the Black Sea, controlled Gibraltar, Bosphorus, as well as the Nile. Rome fell almost immediately after the failure of the first Crusade (totally tried to take Jerusalem from Egypt) and the rest of the game was spent killing Popes every few decades. The dude just won't go away. Though it got a bit easier to track the weirdo down once the Holy Roman Empire became a vassal state. Yeah... that was cool.

Really good game. Probably never gonna play Medieval II ever again.

Offline LadyM

• Mortal Kombat Konqueror
  • I'm not confused anymore
    • View Profile
    • LadyMpire
« Reply #1346 on: August 24, 2012, 06:41:59 am »
We played that game, never finished one though. Some interesting things do happen. I think I played Sweden.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: August 24, 2012, 10:21:39 am »
Just finished a 13 hour game of Medieval II.

Played as Egypt. By the time I took Constantinople and won, the empire held the entire southern half of the map and a good bit of Northern France and England. They entirely encircled the Mediterranean Sea and the Black Sea, controlled Gibraltar, Bosphorus, as well as the Nile. Rome fell almost immediately after the failure of the first Crusade (totally tried to take Jerusalem from Egypt) and the rest of the game was spent killing Popes every few decades. The dude just won't go away. Though it got a bit easier to track the weirdo down once the Holy Roman Empire became a vassal state. Yeah... that was cool.

Really good game. Probably never gonna play Medieval II ever again.

Not playing EU3 or Crusader Kings?

If a game doesn't track currency inflation then its not worth playing.

You need to get on my level Pat.  ;)
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Hydromancerx

• Master of Orion
  • Klaatu Barada Nikto!
    • View Profile
    • Sagan 4
« Reply #1348 on: August 24, 2012, 11:24:22 am »
I have been playing ...

- Age of Empires 3 (Every other Friday with my Dad.)*
- Civ4 (Caveman to Cosmos mod)
- Neverwinter's Nights 1 (Alboria server)
- Pioneer Trail
- Sims 2 (Heavily Modded)

* On the other Friday we usually play Evolution: Origin of Species.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:28:32 am by Hydromancerx »

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #1349 on: August 24, 2012, 12:03:44 pm »
MINECRAFT. See thread for details.