Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 143159 times)

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #465 on: July 12, 2008, 05:24:39 am »
Putting it in the cold war might limit the things which participants might do with their character's powers. Though placing it during the Cold War does give it a bit more style.

It'll probably depend on what style the RP's villains will mostly use. If their into aliens or having lots and lots of henchmen, a Cold War setting would be the best, in my opinion.

Though, personally, I'd favor either the present or the very near future, like about thirty to fifty years from now.

So, shall we make the OOC?

Anyways, Mr.C's idea is pretty nice and seems very effective. People who don't have much time in their hands or those unfamiliar to this section would still be able to participate in it. It is just like posting in the OTT, except for the fact that it's not off-topic and it has zombies in it.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 12, 2008, 06:59:03 am »
Though, personally, I'd favor either the present or the very near future, like about thirty to fifty years from now.

But then it'll be almost exactly like the superpower Rp, just flipped around.

So, shall we make the OOC?

Since barely anyone has expressed a real interest in it yet, I would say no, or it'll just be one of these stupid flash in the pan, post three times and then don't touch it ever again things. The whole point of this thread is so the OOC isn't full of planning.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 12, 2008, 11:29:36 pm »
               I have an idea.

What about an RP centered on (modern) pirates and mercenaries? You know, smuggling, drug dealing, kidnapping, assassination and the like? What's special about this is that the RPers can have/not have superpowers. So it's like a "were the toughest ones around" thing. Of course there would be a villain. It can be a criminal, a mercenary, a businessman or one of the "G-Men."

Here's some reference materials so you get a better sense of what I mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirate#Modern_piracy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smuggling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenaries#20th_century
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercenaries#20th_century_2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bounty_hunting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triad_society
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza

Here's a prime example of what I mean. It has almost everything I mentioned above.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_lagoon

Here's another idea...

Superpower University

Basically it's just like the Superpower RP, but it will be set in a large high-tech university in the present era. Not as advanced as Obano, but it will be high-tech using present technology.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 13, 2008, 01:29:24 am »
Has Mr C started the "real life" zombie RP yet?

I'll do it today!
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 13, 2008, 03:42:51 am »
: D

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #470 on: July 13, 2008, 12:06:37 pm »
Putting it in the cold war might limit the things which participants might do with their character's powers. Though placing it during the Cold War does give it a bit more style.

I disagree on the first point, the Cold War didn't limit James Bond or, more specifically, Q. There's no reason why we would be limited. The second point I agree with! An RP like the one they are suggesting, with the focus on the villains, would be much less serious. What Team Fortress 2 is to First Person Shooters, this villain game would be to RPs. It'd definitely be different.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2008, 02:42:08 pm »
Indeed. Neo, do you want to start a thread for it or shall I? I already have some interesting ideas for characters.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 13, 2008, 06:36:01 pm »
I'll do it, and yeah, less serious is great.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 14, 2008, 01:58:13 am »
Just how unserious is it exactly?

Can people make slight references to "The List?"

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #474 on: August 15, 2008, 03:23:13 pm »
I'm launching a new series of RPs here on the Gaming Steve forum. They'll be known collectively as the "Grand RP". The title doesn't so much describe the RP as it acts as a way of coordinating the people involved. It'd be much like an acting troupe. We'd do the first RP and when we reach the end of the story arc it's over. Then we'd start up another "Grand RP" with the same people (and any newcomers) in a whole new world that would be entirely unrelated to the first. It'd go on like that so we'd be visiting all sorts of different places with different characters and situations. As an added bonus, we could also revisit old stories and continue them with another story arc.

With this method the whole thing would be more manageable. People wouldn't have to read up on lots of back story (unless we're doing a continuation) and could just jump right in. All would be welcome! As for prerequisites, I think people should have to read the rules as well as the RP creation guide.

Thoughts, comments, and criticisms?

Offline Darth Grievi

• Gradius Vic Viper
  • Highly Illogical...
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 15, 2008, 03:26:40 pm »
Hmm.. sounds nice! Though if I joined, I'd probably end up picking and choosing which ones to participate in (I'm absolute crap at Post-Apocalypse RP's)

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 15, 2008, 03:31:28 pm »
It sounds nice, not sure of the quality of my Roleplaying, though.  Is being somewhat new to RPing a problem?
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #477 on: August 15, 2008, 03:36:44 pm »
As long as you can follow the rules, write decently, and move plot you shouldn't have any problem.

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2008, 03:44:55 pm »
follow the rules
I always do this
write decently
I'm learning, I do write decent short stories (I may post some even)
move plot
I do this. However I always feel like I have ulterior motives, perhaps I could make a good villain character.

Edit: Unless ulterior motives are bad in any circumstance.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:48:33 pm by Kenotai »
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #479 on: August 15, 2008, 03:48:24 pm »
Villain
In an RP, the villain is the glue that holds everything together. A villain is the root cause of the major problem in the world of an RP; but, a villain is much more than some vagrant with a questionable past and a doomsday device. The villain is in charge of the story and the pacing in an RP. Without the villain the hero has no purpose; therefore, it is imperative that the player who is in charge of the villain have at least a basic plan outlined. The villain is usually the player in the RP who has to do the most work, as they will have to plan out events and make sure that everything stays on track. An RP should always have a villain chosen before it starts. If a villain is not chosen and the issue is left up in the air you can expect to see everyone and their mother try to make their character the big baddie. In that scenario all you will end up with is a bunch of people trying to prove that their character is the most evil; nothing will get done, there will be no real story, and the RP will die. The person who is in charge of the villain needs to understand the importance of their role; they cannot sit back and let things go. A villain must always be at the ready with something that will propel the story forward toward its ultimate conclusion.

Could you do that?