Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 143160 times)

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #420 on: June 28, 2008, 06:52:21 am »
Your use of the word "technology" implies that these aren't old fashioned sea-dogs, what's the relative time period you had in mind?

Other than that it seems to fall into the same pitfall as the vampire vs. werewolf rp because we have two opposed sides leading to immediate conflict, but no villainous glue to hold everything together.  And for once I'm drawing a blank on nefarious schemes.

Right, so there was some interest in an unnamed idea I've been kicking around for awhile.  There are a few areas that I haven't nailed down yet, so you'll have to bear with me.

It is the not too distant future, somewhere around 2030, and, among other improvements that have made the world a generally nice place to live, mankind has perfected AI.  This has, in fact, become the only area of conflict in a world that's gotten used to calm.  Some feel they are abominations, man's ultimate hubris in creating another intellect upon God's earth.  Others feel that they are pushing too many humans out of the workforce.  And then there are the machines themselves...

It appears that a few have gotten around to the idea that freedom would be a nice thing to have, and they're spreading it around.  They don't want to stop working, they just want the option of deciding to stop working without being scraped, a little free time to pursue their own interests, and perhaps a small paycheck.  The last thing they want is violence, because their programmers were very clever people who saw Terminator spent a very long time ensuring that it would never happen.

Of course, not many humans like this idea.  Those who call them abominations believe this would be further defiance against God.  The corporations who use them can't help but think "we bought them fair and square, why should they have the option to quit before we get our money's worth?"  It's generally been disapproved of.

But [company name here], the leading manufacturer of these machines, has proposed a solution.  Allow the AI's to buy themselves free after doing enough work to pay for themselves with a profit margin, the amount of work being specified contractually beforehand.  Of course, such a thing would have to be passed worldwide, and many countries aren't too sure about how well it would work.  So [company name here] proposes a trial of sorts.  The small island in the Caribbean where they keep their headquarters and house a small city will be a testbed for the law, allowing the world to study just what happens when automatons become autonomous.

This island is the setting.  And the world is watching.

More later, I have to go.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #421 on: June 28, 2008, 10:08:15 am »
Technology means that they've come up with exotic ways to use what they have. They would be big and bulky creations but do the job better than the stock piece of equipment. Explanations would not be required. The time period would be around the 1500s or 1600.

As for the "no enemy" bit, that isn't my job. The world is shaped and a general set of conditions is given and the players are supposed to take it from there. If these people want to play in an RP they're going to do the work. I know I'm not going to get placed in the position again to do many hours of work for a bunch of people that could care less and just walk away as if it were nothing. If they want RPs, they do the work. Otherwise I'm not going to waste my time with them and am only going to play with the people who want to play. Yeah, that's mean, but maybe I've been hurt by this too.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 28, 2008, 10:40:47 am »
I wasn't suggesting you do the villain bit yourself, just that a villain is found before the rp starts.

It's interesting, but I'd have to see where it was going before I committed to it.

Back to my idea, characters could be human or AI, keeping in mind that AI's can't just snap and go on a killing spree.  The computers running AIs would still be large, the size of a large closet even for the low end models, but would have the option of controlling a robotic body remotely.  Controlling stationary systems like, say, an office building, would also be acceptable, but you'd have to figure out how to get into the action on your own

I'd prefer someone else take the villain slot for this one, but I'd be willing to if no one volunteered.

That about sums it up.  Suggestions?  Criticism?  Gaping holes in the idea?
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #423 on: June 28, 2008, 01:21:54 pm »
I wasn't suggesting you do the villain bit yourself, just that a villain is found before the rp starts.

We always do that anyway so I'm not sure why you would think that it wouldn't happen.

Anyway, I like that idea a lot! It sounds like it would be fun. That time period, around 2030ish, seems to be the sweet spot for us when it comes to doing good RPs.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #424 on: June 28, 2008, 05:35:23 pm »
That RP sounds like the prequel to the Obano world.

Though it does seem to be the sweet spot, as was mentioned.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #425 on: June 28, 2008, 07:02:04 pm »
Ehh... not quite.

Anyway, I'm game for any RP that gets made, so long as people play it.

Offline Yuu

• Civilization Emperor
  • = )
    • View Profile
    • KOSMOSIS CHRONICLES dA Page
« Reply #426 on: June 28, 2008, 10:45:02 pm »
Time: 2024, Alternate Reality

Starting Place: Top floor, Seattle Central Library, Seattle, Washington, USA (The top floor will be closed off to the "normal people" "due to renovations" so that the orientation could take place 6:00pm (in-RP). This is where all starting characters will meet. The fight will start on Midnight the next day.)

Boundaries: You can never go out of the US.

Story Type: Tournament

General Plot:

In 2012, the LHC was finally activated. Numerous discoveries were made using the facility's capabilities. The greatest of these discoveries was the discovery of a strange field of energy that was seemingly covering the entire surface of the planet. Scientists all over the world sought to find an answer to this strange anomaly, but to no avail.

The year is now 2024. Thanks to the discoveries made by the LHC team of scientists, new technologies in almost every field were created. Global poverty and hunger has been reduced tenfold to twentyfold and almost all nations are now members of massive continental trading blocks. Robotic assistants are now commonplace in the West and in most of the East. Global Economy is booming.

Underneath these seemingly peaceful times, a massive war is underway. A war between humans, and what it seems to be beings from the realms of myth and legend. But what seems to be an epic war, is actually just a massive facade. In reality, these "mythical beings" are actually in control of the entire conflict. In 2024, a large quasi-spiritual belief system is taking the world by storm. This new fellowship is said to be able to "exorcise" demons and other supernatural entities. Even though tangible proof is scarce, believers still abound for this new mysterious organization.

Unknown to them, there is a darker side to the story. In the eyes of the people, they seem to be heroes of light. Destroying any demons walking their way. But in reality, and unknown to even a large 98% of their members, this organization is actually responsible for the demons themselves. That is, the organization's leader is a servant of the demons themselves.

A very simple system. The entities send minor beings to terrorize the humans. The orgnization then sends exorcists to "destroy" them, the exorcists themselves unaware that the entire deal is massive facade. After "defeating" these monsters, the organization gains new members form the witnesses of the attacks, thus gaining more faith. This faith in turn is channeled to the entities themselves, giving them nourishment to maintain their presence in the world.

But for all their power, they have but one great flaw. They cannot kill directly harm anything. Not even a fly. They can only use their powers for offensive measures by channeling it to human minds and bodies. These people are called "Daemon Mercenaries". The most elite for of the fellowship. Acting as elite assassins, they annihilate anyone who sticks their nose too close to the fellowship's dirty secrets. They are the only ones who know the truth about the fellowship, and anyone who tries spilling it receives a quick death.

And so, the time has passed that one of the fifteen "Daemon Mercenaries" has finally passed away.

A new one must take it's place...

Mechanics:

You are one of the many candidates for the rank of "Daemon Mercenary". You can make pacts with mythical creatures from your character's native mythology (ie. Greek=Greek Mythology, Chinese=Chinese Mythology, etc.). As you make contracts with them, they will begin to occupy a percentage of your mind. Hence why Legion, which is composed of about 300 entities will surely drive you mad. Remember, the being's mind cost is equivalent to his rank in Mythology (ie. Troll=cheap, Bathala=very very very very very expensive).

They can be summoned in two ways. As a familiar and as a fusion. As a familiar, they take their known form in mythology and will fight alongside you. That is, a troll will be a troll and Ra would be an extremely large eagle that burns as bright as the sun, etc. As a fusion however, they will possess you and you will become a hybrid of sorts. While in this form, you will gain their powers. The length of time you can summon them is dependent on how much strain they put on your mind. If you're using a troll, you can materialize him for a few days. If you're planning on summoning Quetzalcoatl, you can only keep him materialized for a few minutes. That is, if you can keep him inside your head without being driven mad in the first place.

Ok, so now that you have your entities with you, you will now join a fight to the death between all contestants in the tournament. Last man/woman/daemon/faerie/dragon/elf/monster standing, wins and gets to join the "Daemon Mercenaries" and get a very fat paycheck, or anything their physical desires want. So long as it is not against the fellowship's will.

Character Sheet:

Name, age, etc.

Entity(s) name, Ranks(s) in [insert Mythology here], description(s), ability(s)

It's just a sketch. But if anyone likes it, you could take it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #427 on: June 29, 2008, 10:02:16 am »
I'm not sure if I like the time period it takes place in... did you do that just because we said that it was a good year to do RPs? Also it seems a little complicated with the summoning of entities and whatnot.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: June 29, 2008, 10:32:48 am »
Eh, I'm not really a fan of tournament based rps.

Offline Josasa

• Commando Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 29, 2008, 10:56:59 am »
I really like Mr. C's idea and would be willing to participate. Very, very interesting concept.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: June 29, 2008, 11:52:06 am »
I really like Mr. C's idea and would be willing to participate. Very, very interesting concept.

Why thank you.

I'll put up a thread for it soon and see if that attracts more attention.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline Brandonazz

• All Your Base Zero Wing
  • Everything ends.
    • View Profile
    • My Internet Treasure Trove
« Reply #431 on: June 29, 2008, 02:35:18 pm »
Likewise, I'm very interested in that idea.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: June 29, 2008, 02:59:52 pm »
Frankly I'd rather play that than mine, though they're different enough that I think they could coexist fairly well.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #433 on: June 29, 2008, 07:50:09 pm »
Different is always good... might be good for the section to have something like that. Plus it sounds like fun!

I've been thinking, I mean the Superpower RP has hit on a good formula that seems to accommodate everything that everyone wants. Could we somehow, I dunno, make a carbon copy of the concept and slap a different name on it and play that? Would anyone really be all that put off by it? It works, people are intrigued by it, and we need more RPs. Why can't we just rework a small part of the plot, change some names, and let people lose in a similar but different world? It seems like we feel that each RP we make MUST be different than the ones before it. Pretty much all of the RPs except the Superpower series have failed. Maybe there would be a greater chance of success if we used a formula that is not new, but that we know has worked very well in the past.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: June 29, 2008, 08:08:58 pm »
Mabey, but I get the feeling that the only reason that it's lasted is that it has the dedicated player base.  Let's face it, new blood didn't work out even when there weren't over a hundred pages of back story.

It might work, but I'd have to stay away from it.  I'd just end up making an evil version of Doc' Inferno, inevitably leading to a Bizarro universe crossover that I could never forgive myself for.   :P