Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 143111 times)

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #315 on: December 27, 2007, 10:01:23 am »
I have an idea.  An RP version of the God Wars, with every player playing as a God, no pictures, and more emphasis on storytelling and relationships with other Gods, and less on maintenence of your own Island.
No.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline The Time Traveller

• Cobra Commander
  • Building a better yesterday tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 27, 2007, 10:09:26 am »
Because... of what?  What's wrong with the idea?  I really dislike it when people just say no, and think that is satisfactory.
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #317 on: December 27, 2007, 10:24:57 am »
It could work, but I think the characters have a bit too much power over the world. How would it play out?

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 27, 2007, 10:43:27 am »
Well, imagine the New Superpower RP, except that the characters are floating over an ocean, are really big, each have islands, and can gradually grow powers (say, they can wait two pages to get something minor like, rain, wait five to get something like create a lake, and wait ten to get something like Hurricane).
Warning: Hot.  Choking Hazard for children under 3.  Please do not exit until the vehicle comes to a complete stop.  EULA removes all human rights.  Special features are not rated.  Side effects include  cardiac arrest and spontaneous falling off of body parts.  May contain nuts.  Acts are being performed by trained proffesionals.  Results not typical.  Thank you for flying with United Airlines.

Offline Gunner

• Bungeling Bay Raider
  • No Smoking Zone
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 27, 2007, 12:01:05 pm »
Because... of what?  What's wrong with the idea?  I really dislike it when people just say no, and think that is satisfactory.
Hear about god modding?
That would lead to that, quick.
:O
Also, Gunner is one of the children.
It's true.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #320 on: December 27, 2007, 12:27:39 pm »
And the god modding RP (Much to my delight) failed amazingly. Sorry to the folks who created it, but I'm not keen on the proliferation of the notion that god modding is okay.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 27, 2007, 12:56:10 pm »
Godmoding tends to be its own undoing; an RP where you're actually expected to godmode, even more so.

• Cobra Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 27, 2007, 01:19:56 pm »
Godmoding is relative.  As everyone already has the powers of a God, Godmoding would be something higher, like a "destroy God" power.

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 27, 2007, 01:53:11 pm »
Some guy tried that on another forum, needless to say, he phailed.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 27, 2007, 02:00:25 pm »
I can imagine some kind of clause where an NPC, controlled-by-nobody Overgod of sorts is more or less the overseer of all gods and sets the "rules" they must play by or be struck from the pantheon. The usual requirement of some form of worship, and no direct interference with the world without good cause to do so. Also, the RP would be more along the lines of not just controlling your god as a character in the RP but also high preists, heirophants, avatars, and the like. The god followers would war with one another or such, whereas the gods would be up in the heavens playing a game of sorts with each other. Even then, it's still not that good a premise without some VERY strong lore.

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 27, 2007, 03:50:17 pm »
Godmoding is relative.  As everyone already has the powers of a God, Godmoding would be something higher, like a "destroy God" power.

That's not really what godmoding means. Plus, that has nothing to do with your idea.

Offline Mr. Consideration

• Goddess of Phobos
  • Merry Christmarx, one and all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 27, 2007, 04:07:37 pm »
I can imagine some kind of clause where an NPC, controlled-by-nobody Overgod of sorts is more or less the overseer of all gods and sets the "rules" they must play by or be struck from the pantheon. The usual requirement of some form of worship, and no direct interference with the world without good cause to do so. Also, the RP would be more along the lines of not just controlling your god as a character in the RP but also high preists, heirophants, avatars, and the like. The god followers would war with one another or such, whereas the gods would be up in the heavens playing a game of sorts with each other. Even then, it's still not that good a premise without some VERY strong lore.

That could work pretty well. If one DM-esque Zues-like figure is put forward and everyone can choose their own area of influence (Although there'd be much arguing over 'Death' and 'War' I'd imagine). Then they play out using agents like heroes and creating thier own 'mythology'. If it worked that anyone who overstepped the line would be obliterated by Chief God, than the others would have to work against each other subtley....if no God-powers were allowed, if would be a struggle using mortal avatars. If alot more emphasis was placed on story-telling and building the character of your god (making it a lot more original than what I would imagine would be the first few ideas) I think people would care less about the transparent 'vying for power' background which is simply a plot element for each to create thier own stories. Most action would be played out by pawns with a little divine aid. There's actually quite a few character twists; perhaps you nice, compassionate god of love is really using that as a facade to strike at a brutal god of death who is really just attempting to keep balance in a world where everyone hits at one another? If we pulled away from boring, overused concepts of love, lightning and death, if could be an interesting, quirky RP.

Perhaps people could even vote for thier favourite god, and that god would be declared to have the most worshippers and the ilk.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 04:11:11 pm by Mr. Consideration »
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." - Oscar Wilde

Yes, I am aware of the irony.

Offline FROMAN

• Journey Groupie
  • =ω=
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 27, 2007, 04:27:07 pm »
that sounds very interesting, id be in if this was made

Offline Daxx

• Golden Axe Battler
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 28, 2007, 02:30:14 am »
that sounds very interesting id be in if this was made

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 30, 2007, 11:51:20 am »
Where do you keep those?