Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 143158 times)

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2007, 08:37:16 pm »
The Future's Most Popular Gameshow

Setting:
Gladatorial Combat, Somewhat Futuristic, Dystopian overtones, Dark

Backstory:
It is 2134, and Humanity is still mostly where it was over 100 years ago, with the odd technological advance here and there. Technology and resources seem to have somewhat stagnated, leaving humankind in a slump economically and emotionally. Ironically it was all triggered by philanthropic intent - sometime in the last century, the eyes of the developed world turned to their lesser-developed cousins on a global scale but especially in Africa. Initial attempts to uplift the countries and their people to the same standard the civilised world had enjoyed for hundreds of years were successful and earned the eternal gratitude of the uplifted. However, it soon became a contest between the United States and the European Union, a feeding frenzy to see who could rush to gain the most new allies.
As the European Union consolidated it's efforts and essentially operated as a unified power, the States grew paranoid and started to disdain their long-time ally. Soon, most of the world had realised that what began as a noble effort to unify the world had been spoiled by greed once more - the quality of the uplift work being done was in many cases extremely shoddy as the contracted groups were being rushed for time so that they could "beat" the other union to the new allies. China, a superpower in it's own right housing 1/5 of the entire world's population, announced it's disgust and closed off it's borders permanently to the outside world, bringing with it a few allies. Even 100 years on, nothing has been heard from them.
Eventually, the entire world had been brought up to the same standard but whereas America and Europe had been allies before, they now viewed one another with open distrust and disdain. With no more allies left to gain, the two groups began segregating their communities away from each other, beginning a paranoid cold war - though no known violence had ever been carried out between the two powers, the populace was offered little comfort due to constant propaganda about the "looming threat" of the other power, as well as the paranoia of the respective governments turning inwards also, scrutinising their citizens on levels that many in this day and age would consider dehumanising. The civilian populations of both unions realised all too keenly what was occuring, but they were powerless to challenge it as their governments remained stoic and unchanging "in the face of the threat", the same parties remaining in power.
During such downbeat times, much of the populace began to morally and emotionally buckle. Violent crime, suicides, substance abuse, and general decadence began to rise. The government caring little unless specific cases affected them personally, the people were living in a new dark age amidst technology and fear. Little effective entertainment or distraction from the overbearing gloom of the world could be offered to either side's populace... until the Silkway Group began their venture.
Beginning somewhere in Russia, the Silkway Group was initially a wholly criminal group organising underground fights, with prizes and fame in the circuit to be won. Downbeat civilians and criminals alike could find a new way to find their way in the world and make money in the hard-scrape depressions caused by the cold war. The group became gradually more and more brazen, becoming less covert in their machinations, until the suprising happened - they somehow became sanctioned. Silkway found they had their own TV channels to broadcast the fighting. Though injury and death were all part of the program, the populace found itself somehow enjoying what they would have previously condemned as depraved and abhorrent.
Cut to the present day - Silkway had become a global corporation, one of very few serving both alliances. Folks down on their luck in life, hardened criminals or celebrities and socialites rich and brave enough to pay their way onto the program engage each other in many forms of combat - from rustic weaponary duels to high tech gureilla team warfare, Silkway panders most successfully to the base side of human violence and bloodlust. Many suspect Silkway's sudden success and effectivity of ignoring the cold war, but the opinions are kept private due to the fact that in the times, conspiracy theorists tend to vanish quickly. Not all are in it for the glory or the money - some are out for revenge. Perhaps against famous competitors, or upon humanity in general - or perhaps against the shadowy figures running Silkway of which next to nothing is known by the general public...

Recommended Characters:
Pretty much anything, though ones either suited to constant combat or determined to get through the system by any means would be best. Heroes would likely be competitors working their way through the games to some ulterior end, villains either combatants with a lust for violence and killing, or actual employees of Silkway who keep the games running. These are all just recommendations though, anything can go as long as it's feasible.

Restrictions and Considerations:
This is about 100 years into the future in a destitute and desperate earth. Magic is nonexistant and is therefore disallowed. Psychics are incredibly unfeasible, and it's more than likely you won't be able to pull it off convincingly.

Silkway has a habit of keeping and promoting Celebrity Fighters - ie paticular fighters that get too popular. They may well pit them against other celebrities as an event to draw huge ratings, so unless your characters stay on the down low it's likely they'll be pitted against one another. It may not be a fight to the death, but it's all dependant on what the crowd wants at the time... along the same lines however, combat is constant. Redshirt cannon-fodder characters for other combatants may be created freely, at will, and en masse to fill any situations your character may end up in, so you don't have to kill off each other's important characters.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
  • I'm actually a pretty optimistic guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2007, 04:49:07 pm »
I had an idea for an RP that we would turn into a machimedia (sp?) I love Red Vs Blue and I think it would be fun if we could act out one of our RPs in an onnline video game.
Quote from: Quantum Burrito
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.
We'll hold that against you until you leave these forums you know :P

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2007, 06:15:58 pm »
I take it my idea is crap, then. ._.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2007, 07:06:01 pm »
I take it my idea is crap, then. ._.
No indeed. Sam likes.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2007, 08:39:42 pm »
I like it, but the game show idea is used so much it gets boring. I like the setting though, very well thought out.
Mary Poppins was hot. Full of golden ratio goodness. I'd be the derivative of her function any day of the week.

Offline blitzonator

• Starcross Space Cadet
  • A pic from the galactic zoo. What is it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2007, 09:55:15 am »
MAKEITMAKEITMAKEITMAKEIT!!!
I have an idea for that already!!!

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2007, 04:27:27 pm »
I like it.  But I think China isolating itself should be expanded upon.  Like, because they have been able to focus on themselves instead of scrabbling for power they have become far more advanced technology wise than the other nations.  Not too extreme, things like developing successful fusion (I believe they're only a few decades away now), using meta matter for cloaking (not invisibility, just beter defense against radar, infrared and such), and a vehicle based laser system (only a decade or so away for the US).  And of course the obligatory advancement in armor and standard weaponry.  Perhaps they are now reemerging and entering the contest to prove their superiority.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline Luminar

• Gyromite Gyro
  • i'm losin' it
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2007, 09:23:36 pm »
I like it.  But I think China isolating itself should be expanded upon.  Like, because they have been able to focus on themselves instead of scrabbling for power they have become far more advanced technology wise than the other nations.  Not too extreme, things like developing successful fusion (I believe they're only a few decades away now), using meta matter for cloaking (not invisibility, just beter defense against radar, infrared and such), and a vehicle based laser system (only a decade or so away for the US).  And of course the obligatory advancement in armor and standard weaponry.  Perhaps they are now reemerging and entering the contest to prove their superiority.

I'd had the fact they'd basically advanced to all hell in mind, but not that they had any intention of re-entering world affairs at large. Technology-wise I was thinking along the lines of more developed early spaceflight.

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2007, 05:33:31 pm »
I've had an idea for an RP that is kind of like ground hog day time travel. Like at the end of the day someone would wake up and it would be the same day. The twist is, it's a different person reliving it each time. Example:

Day 1:

Bob Kills pete
Jill sees Bob kill pete
Bob trys to kill Jill
Jill hids at Franks house
Frank tries to shot Bob
Frank misses, Greg gets shot
Jill crys
Bob kills Frank and franks dog
Jill crys more

Day 2 (Jill remembers day 1):

Bob trys to kill Pete
Jill takes Franks gun
Jill shots Bob
Pete faints
Greg Sees Jill kill Bob
Greg calls Cop 1
Cop 1 arrestes Jill

Day 3 (Pete Remembers day 2):
Pete warns Bob about Jill
Bob Steals Franks gun
Jill goes to Franks house, looking for gun
Frank catches her
Jill spends 3 hours talking to Frank
Bob uses gun to shot Pete
Greg sees bob shot pete
Greg calls cops
Bob kills Greg and Cop 1
Jill sees what happens, Jill crys

Day 4 (Greg remembers day 3):
Greg calls cops on Bob
Cops spend day searching Bob
Jill steals Franks gun
Pete goes to bobs house to warn him about Jill
Jill gets ready to shot Bob
Pete sees her, fights her
Pete accidently kills Jill
Cops arrest Pete and Bob
In Jail, Bob kills Pete

...So that's what the RP would be like. Would that work?

Offline Kcronos

• Boulder Dasher
  • The Dark Time Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2007, 05:36:43 pm »
HOw about a mythology RP?
* Plank of Wood slaps

GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF MAN. THE REVIEWS DO NOT EFFECT ANYTHING EVER.

QFT

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2007, 05:43:25 pm »

ERRRRRR! Denied!

Way too complicated. Plus, how would it be interesting?

Offline 7 who ate 9

• Ms. Pac-Man Worshiper
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2007, 05:51:24 pm »

ERRRRRR! Denied!

Way too complicated. Plus, how would it be interesting?

That's not that complicated at all, have you ever seen ground hog day?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2007, 06:00:05 pm »
Yes, and its awesome. But an RP of groudhog day would be *so* boring it wouldn't last past day two.
Y'know why? Because nothing ever changes. This is the point of Groundhog day in the first place.

As for the 'complicated' comment, that was probably to do with the fact you had to write about a foot of text explaining the adventures of dick and jane to try and explain it.

Offline Little

• Crystal Castle Gem Eater
  • I'm a drunk...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2007, 06:16:14 pm »
Started a post-apocalypse RP.
The best person ever.  She should have won the Peace Prize.

What? No full control over children? You do realize that some of us have particular plans for those children.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2007, 07:37:14 pm »
I like the idea, but I want you to sell it to me before I join. ;)

Why should I dedicate my time to this RP and what will you do to keep me interested?