Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 118532 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 12:42:56 pm »
Doctor Horatio Squires and his vengeful, alcoholic wife!
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 01:09:52 pm »
So are we on a murder mystery line of thought then?

If so, let's hammer out the basics.

Place:
Time:
Situation:
Atmosphere:
Other Stuff:

Also how many people would be optimal?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 03:17:45 pm »
Place: I would say either an English country house, a chateu somewhere in western Europe or a transcontinental train (although that would put time restraints on it)

Time: The early 20th century, the 10s or the 20s would, I think, be best for this sort of thing. Maybe the 30s and 40s but it must be pre WW2.

Situation: A bunch of wealthy people get together for some reason, one gets murdered, everyone has a motive, no matter how ridiculous.

Atmosphere: I say we make it satirical, but not ridiculous. Humerous digs at the genre are ok, but no custard pie fights in the hallway.

Other stuff: I think a range of characters would be required, mostly obnoxious upper-class types, but with a few servants and such.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 03:27:19 pm »
Other stuff:  Only the GM should know how the murder happened, and leave appropriate clues.  Otherwise it wouldn't be fun or challenging.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 03:28:38 pm »
Sounds good so far!

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2007, 03:31:58 pm »
Sounds like fun. How about for containment and no time constraints, the house could be some really rich mansion with tall walls (far enough from windows and trees) and a trench around the outside (deep enough that if someone does scale the wall, they'd be hard pressed to survive the fall). But what to keep people from exiting out the front doors?
Virus Buster.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2007, 03:34:55 pm »
You could pull a Resident Evil and put a bunch of rabid zombie-dogs out front... or maybe make a big blizzard and the doors are snowed shut.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2007, 03:38:35 pm »
The eccentric millionaire who owns shuts and locks the gates after everyone gets there, 'cus that's what he does.  Or I could take the part of a disgruntled former policeman who insists everyone stays until the culprit is found, and they listen 'cus he has a gun.

And as an amendment to my first suggestion, the murderer should be picked at random from the players and told how the murder happened so they can lead the others astray.
Nefarious?  Nearly.  Ne’er-do-well?  Never!  Neither nearly names this narrator.  Naive and knowledgeable, notorious and inscrutable, this nascent Nero is known naturally as Neoadept.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2007, 03:42:55 pm »
But then two people would know what happened...

Maybe get a third party (Or GM) to pick the murderer and let them do things as they see fit?

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 03:45:09 pm »
Sounds like fun. How about for containment and no time constraints, the house could be some really rich mansion with tall walls (far enough from windows and trees) and a trench around the outside (deep enough that if someone does scale the wall, they'd be hard pressed to survive the fall). But what to keep people from exiting out the front doors?

Say the spirit of a deformed killer in a welder's mask and apron wielding a machette is inhabiting the house and keeping the doors locked.

(An Obscure Game Spotter's Collecter's Badge for the first person to get that reference.)

Naw, I agree with neoadept, disgruntled policeman/ professional detective says no-one is to leave in case the killer makes a break for it.

However, I think how the murder happened shuld be discussed between the GM and the person picked, so it fits the chracter commiting it in some way. (but not in an obvious way, just enough to make sure that a frail old lady doesnt bludgeon someone to death, or a one-eyed man doesnt shoot someone across the room with a revolver)

Offline Yossitaru

• SunDog Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2007, 03:48:11 pm »
Yeah, I know, I took the idea from the same game (I'll let someone else have the badge.) since it is kind of realistic, plus I didn't think anyone else would have known that. :P
Virus Buster.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2007, 03:50:53 pm »
Pat, no matter what way you play it, the GM can't really be a character, unless it's a minor one who doesn't really affect the mystery, because they'll have an advantage over everyone else because they know the murderer.  I suggest the role of Gm gets switched off every mystery (assuming we get past one) to avoid frustration.

And I agree with Krakow on how the murderer and GM should work together to decide how the death happened.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2007, 03:58:05 pm »
Ah okay. I did not know that the GM had no character role.

Your idea makes perfect sense now!

Okay this is good then.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2007, 04:08:26 pm »
I would theink The GM would play the role of all the NPCs... the Butler should be a PC, because the Butler is always a suspect. But the scullery maid and the cook and the stereotypical cockney bootblack should be GM controlled.

Offline Neoadept

• Fooblitzky Fooble
  • Has a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2007, 04:13:25 pm »
Seems like a good idea, so long as they don't know too much.