Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 118406 times)

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #990 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:36 am »
Thats right Raz everyone.

Let your imaginations run wild with speculation. The higher your hopes get, the more our master will feast when you are inevitably disappointed. He waits in the spaces between the skins of the world, every atom an eye, the dream which is reality!

GET READY
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #991 on: May 01, 2013, 03:45:44 pm »
Man I can't wait! I'm SO ready for this!!

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
  • tastes just like chicken
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #992 on: June 20, 2013, 03:52:27 pm »
Idea time!

What's this awesome idea?!: A collaborative novel written GamingSteve forum members like you!

How does it work?!: People like you anonymously write a page of a story and your fellow forum goers vote on which page to pick. Then, the story chosen becomes canon and another round of story page writing and voting begins. Each page will continue from the large canon page until we eventually have a full story!

How can I participate?!: Anyone can participate! Because everyone is going one page at a time from the same story, there is no need to worry about always contributing! You can go on your five week vacation to Yerevan, Armenia assured that the game will continue without issue! And voting is open to everyone, whether you contributed a story or not!

When do we start?!: If enough people like you show interest, we could start at anytime!

See you there?!

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #993 on: June 20, 2013, 03:57:23 pm »
Sounds like a neat idea. As long as folks have no issue with their work not being chosen I don't see why it wouldn't be able to happen.

Would definitely play.

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: June 20, 2013, 06:04:57 pm »
Interesting.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: June 21, 2013, 09:27:34 am »
Sounds like a giggle.

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: September 13, 2013, 01:54:20 pm »
So I've been thinking about doing one of those reader guided stories like Sam's Broseidon Quest.  But I'm still trying to decide on a setting.  Anyone interested, and anyone have any suggestions?
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: September 13, 2013, 02:46:29 pm »
I like how you use MY incredibly short, super dumb foray into this sort of thing as an example. I feel a hot flush of shame.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #998 on: September 13, 2013, 03:15:51 pm »
Yeah. Mine was infinitely better and better executed than any of them.

Bull**** players never want to play, though. Same problem we had with RPs. No way the problem was me. Not no way not no how.

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: September 13, 2013, 03:23:10 pm »
No way the problem was me. Not no way not no how.

Offline Cyst

• Space Harrier
  • V 3 $ T H 3 T I C /// 新鮮な盗まれたアート
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 08, 2013, 04:44:46 am »
Is the RP portion of this board dead? I have an opening post that was moderately successful, in a setting like you might expect of me. It's a dystopian world, where I play the inhabitants and world, but you guys guide the story through in-character actions. I'll only interrupt when needed, or to fix large periods of inactivity. Any interest? Questions?
DEATH TO DAESH! In solidarity with Rojava!
-----------
Oh come now, Lurk.

The internet is a magical place, where linguistic and dialectic possibilities are endless. Why not embrace those variations and see where they lead you.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #1001 on: May 20, 2014, 04:30:26 pm »
Alright... I'm gauging interest in another PCP (Planetary Construction Project). Here's a brief overview on what I've been thinking:

First off, unlike the previous two PCPs, which were cylindrical, this one would be spherical. To achieve that, we start with a blank map with the outlines of the continents on it (e.g. http://ladympire.com/wiki/images/b/b7/PCP3_Huge.png). The map would is 5000 x 2500 pixels, with one equatorial pixel being ~5 mi (~8 km). We achieve sphericality via an overlay on Google Earth. This makes it quite easy to see the true shape of the world we will build. Changes made to the base map would be updated in the overlay properties, so as not to move the overlay once it's in place. Also, any cities or places on interest added as placemarks within Google Earth instead of being directly placed on the map. All these things can be shared via the exportation of .KMZ files.

Now, to the actual game. We start out with a blank continental map (see above). This removes the player from trying to figure out hoe the heck to make the map look right on a sphere using a equirectangular projection. Before we actually start playing I would assign regions of the map to have organisms from a specific continent. This makes it show whever people end up, we'll know basically what organisms live in the region and we can easily keep it consistent. For example, on the above map, the bigger continent on the left  could be Afro-Eurasian organisms (in roughly the same orientation), the smaller continent South of it could be Oceanian organisms (including Australia), the continents on the right could be North and South American organisms (probably with the small isthmus at the equator bring the rough boundary line), and the poles could be their respective Arctic and Antarctic organisms. The by product of this approach is that humans would have evolved on the South-Western portion of the large continent on the left, and spread out from there.

Now, the game would be played in a series of "snapshots." Each snap shot is basically a glimpse of the world during a given period. The first snap shot is the one where we fill in the biomes and topography. The second snapshot could possibly be dealing with the migration of prehistoric peoples to fill out where people have migrated and what races are where. The third snapshot could be the startings of civilization, etc. How much time passes on each snap shot is up for debate, but basically each snapshot shows the world during the era we choose for it to be.

The players would be given a certain number of points each snapshot and would purchase the area they wish to work in that round. Areas would be determined before the round started and would be different every round. Players would have to purchase land from scratch every round. This is done to allow people to come and go from playing as they choose, so the game never gets bogged down waiting for people to play.

I think this could be a lot of fun, and (as you can probably tell) I've put a lot of thought into this. :P So, anyone interested?

TL;DR: Read the dang text, you lazy bum!

Offline Kenotai

• Krull Slayer
  • Wint firinoint vai.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 20, 2014, 05:12:42 pm »
Yes please. Interestedǃ
Visit, Vote, Vykusi - New Poll 9/01/08

Quote from: Little
I, for a fact, quite like Keno[tai]. He's my favorite.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #1003 on: May 20, 2014, 09:14:23 pm »
Definitely.

Offline Oviraptor

• R-Type Force Pod
    • View Profile
    • Oviraptor's World
« Reply #1004 on: May 21, 2014, 05:34:59 pm »
Hooray!

Should I set up a planning thread in stead of planning in here?

I'm interested to know if everything I put is satisfactory just the way I laid it out, or if we need to discuss a few things before we start.