Author Topic: The RP planning thread  (Read 118502 times)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
Re: The RP planning thread
« Reply #975 on: February 12, 2013, 04:32:28 pm »
It's the big strength and big weakness of the RP model. The quality of the players is absolutely pivotal to the success of the game.

That doesn't mean the game requires insane skills and a working knowledge of every word in the dictionary. It's common-sense stuff. But man oh man it's like pulling teeth sometimes to get a person to post. And it sucks because as soon as you have to start reminding people to play the game, you've lost a major amount of momentum.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
  • That's right, I went there
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 12, 2013, 05:45:44 pm »
If you want to talk RPs, apparently I'm the only one left. So once again, you get to deal with me. I did not know we had so many similar interests. :P

Really? I thought we did. Idk, other than maybe how we feel about Mass Effect... I see it more as we both have a similar interest in keeping this place populated with content.

The rapid burst of posts at the beginning of RPs was more of a later occurrence in the way we did RPs here. We did try a few ways of combating it (from asking players not to over-post to putting posting limits on the games) but generally speaking the rapid posting at the beginning was not what did us in, in the long run. As far as my memory serves, we only ever had REALLY bad posting issues early on with the middle Steampunk RPs and the Perihelion/Sidereal Hour RPs. I think the Steampunk RP is the one that went seven pages in the middle of the night and we got an earful about it from Sam the next day. After that it did not happen as often, at least with our RPs.

See I'm not even sure about this, missing out a single day in the first week of a few RPs tended to draw the lines in the sand as to who would stick with it; and who decided the time taking to read was not worth the amount of enjoyment they received from participating since they felt marginalized. It's hard for some of us to be creative and then take the time to write, and breaks are required more frequently for some over others. The problem becomes people who don't need as frequent breaks add to the story while the slower people either feel hurried to jump back in or get marginalized. Not many feel comfortable just interjecting their character into the story as they should, OOC topics are full of 'well, where can I even come in now?' posts. The effect is compiled; miss a few days and suddenly you're influence on what happened is gone. Why contribute now? You're not needed clearly. That's sort of the vibe I feel that gets rubbed off when people come back.

We needed new people but finding new people that were willing and able to deliver quality on a regular basis was not easy.
Our storylines were becoming predictable and people were unwilling to let other people take license with their characters, further limiting possible outcomes for storylines.

That was around the time we started tooling around with the hybrid system of Role Play that added random chance elements to the story outcomes, forcing players to deal with things that were unexpected. Sadly we were unable to test this new system out as much as I would like. As well we made some mistakes in who we were trusting with running the pilot programs. I'm not entirely convinced that the hybrid model would have worked anyway.

As far as time limits, I'm not sure that is wise. I feel like adding pressure to stay in it can become counter-productive. Frankly I have no problem with people taking a a few days to post, so long as we have the commitment that they will continue to post. That commitment is important, too.

See, I also think the cause of the story lines becoming predictable stems from the lack of other people being involved; and as per why they aren't involved I have stated above. I however, do not see how a scheduled time frame for when posts are to be made would be a drawback. I think people get turned off by the idea that as soon as they look away, the story can suddenly move on without them. I get that that's part of the fun for some but, it alienates others and we should try to find another solution. While having most players active at the same time would most certainly be different, I am willing to see what it would be like. This allows people to plan their posts so they can at least drop in, say what they wanted and make their move, and then leave rest assured that the story wont be too far from where they left when they come back because only so much could have happened.

That's what I think is what will keep people committed. They know they will always get to have an influence. The old system worked for some of us, but if people aren't going to change for the system, we should keep trying to change the system for them. Other people who used to RP or tried but got left behind might be interested in the idea because they don't:

Have to feel pressured to keep the story along when a day goes by.
Worry about having their characters marginalized because they can't make the time to contribute as much as the rest of the players.
Read a small novella before being privy to what has occurred

I think it adds up. The wear of reading so much mixed with feeling left out can eventually cause many to decide the costs outweigh the benefits and they bail.

I think the commitment will come with the pressure to post within the time frame, instead. Why post today when there is always tomorrow? Well, if there's no tomorrow, then I think people will post. The catch is, even if you don't post during the time-frame, you're not left out! It's not even a catch. To me, this is a win-win.

Having a problem with people taking time to post isn't what our problem is, though. We are a mostly patient bunch. The problem is when those of us who don't need to take time to post box out those that do. Just saying 'slow down' doesn't help because then people will feel unsure about posting more than 'they should', and who the hell is to decide that?

My thought process was that the best way to get people to keep up was to get them invested in the story. Get them to develop a vested interest in continuing the story and keeping the level of quality high. But that's much easier said than done. At the end of the day I think we just need fresh blood. The regular players know how the other regular players write. We know how they'll respond. So it takes some of the fun out of the game.

Agreed. But some people don't feel invested when the story moves without them. I think we can pull in fresh blood if we don't scare them off since the RPs can get hectic. Especially if you are inactive when the majority of the posters are interacting.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:05:54 pm by eropS »
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #977 on: February 12, 2013, 06:40:16 pm »
I am a bit taken aback by your first point. We bent over backwards to accommodate all players. I personally spent hours working with people to help them with their writing in just about every RP I was in. Whether it was editing, chatting about ideas, or even stopping a whole game so someone could get things worked out, there was no limit to what we'd do to help people. The only thing we wouldn't do for people was write their posts for them. So I am not convinced by your argument that people felt marginalized or out of place because of a problem with the system.

It was stated time and time again that if you need help, if you need inspiration, if you have a problem about anything whatsoever... that you go to the OoC topic and bring it up. Or send a PM to one of the elder members that is in your game. This was an open-door policy and it was advertised throughout every single game we played. It was also protected by privacy. Our thinking was that people that came for help would always be anonymous and the dealings between us would always remain private. This way people could protect their pride. It also meant more people were willing to take us up on the offer.

The people we helped out generally stayed the course. You respect the game by respecting yourself. If you need help, you ask for it. That's it. If you can't admit that you need help, I don't know what to say. I'm not writing that person's posts for them.

This is the general mindset behind how we ran our games.

Now, I will admit that sometimes posting habits got the better of some players and a lot of posts would appear in rapid succession. Our excuse was always "if you want to be a part of it, put yourself in the thick of it!" This was kind of a 50/50 sort of deal. Half the time it worked, half the time it didn't. Because sometimes the problem WAS the other players. Sometimes the person complaining about not being included only had themselves to blame. Just because some of the more experienced players mistreated the less-experienced players does not negate the fact that many inexperienced players simply refused to do the work. They were lazy. But we were also lazy to some extent for just writing some cases off as "they just didn't want it enough."

And we, as the "experienced" players also had to look into the mirror as well. We began changing the state of the game, tweaking rules, trashing rules entirely... basically what I am saying is the stuff you're saying isn't anything new and isn't anything we haven't heard before. We've been up and down types of play. Heck we have had game types that are a sneeze away from pure D&D.

I tried hard to get this community up and running again but my core players want no part in it. When I bring up these topics and ask about public interest I usually get a few people that want to play. But when I go to those people for help they look at me like I've got three heads. "Oh I thought you were going to do everything." And here's the long and short, I'm not doing it anymore until I get other people that share the same kind of dedication I have to this type of game.

Heck, you could even argue that the players are there and willing. I know for a fact that there are more than enough people out there that WANT to play an RP. I've talked to them! I've pleaded with them. But nobody wants to run the damn games anymore. I want to but I am not letting myself because I don't think it is healthy for all games to run through me. I've asked around for other people willing to initiate games and nobody wants to do it. Do you want to start a game? Maybe the timing is right for you and you've got the drive.

If you want to start a game, start a game. Advertise it and get players. Weave a basic plot and get the thing going. That is infinitely better than ANY discussion your and I can have here. Start a game. If you've got a new system you want to try, try it! There's no rule saying you can't and we've never been against experimenting with new types of play. I would be happy to play a game if you (or ANYONE) felt like starting one, because I really want to RP.

Talk is cheap. You got a statement to make? Put your money where your mouth is and start a game. It'll be good for everyone. :)

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #978 on: April 20, 2013, 10:33:42 am »
Anyone wanna run an RP?

I don't, but I'll gladly play in one if someone wants to do the heavy lifting. :D

Offline Plank of Wood

• Final Fighter
  • Ka-Boom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:06 am »
Anyone wanna run an RP?

I don't, but I'll gladly play in one if someone wants to do the heavy lifting. :D

I'm currently running a Game of Thrones RPG in the Paradox Forums. All the good characters are taken and Renly is probably going to Zerg his way to victory.

But on the off chance you're up for some really Light RP mixed with incredibly unfair dicerolls and untested rules then send me a PM for a Link.
the real saviour of this forum

Offline Inkling

• S.T.U.N. Runner
  • Not a Squid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 26, 2013, 10:50:35 am »
I would be interested in some kind of RP, but I'm kind of unreliable these days so I probably shouldn't be the one to run it.
Probably not a Goat, either.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #981 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:15 am »
Sadly I know nothing about Game of Thrones. :f

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 26, 2013, 12:14:40 pm »
Really?

If you ever find yourself with time to read the books, please do so they're spectacular. Storm of Swords may be one of the best books I've ever read from it's story, the depth of the content, the twists along the way, and the oozing vitriolic nature of the characters. Man that book is so good I wish I could forget it so I could read it again anew.

Also: still in classes so I don't want to run a game yet but summertime is just around the corner for me.
No, no, he did. In the everything else section, at least. Officially, this makes him king.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #983 on: April 26, 2013, 12:17:50 pm »
Ulti was talking about the books the other week and they seemed interesting. Tesluuuuu gave me a nice writeup.

And as far as TV goes, I'm not a TV watcher. But I want to read the books so I can watch the show some time. I've heard the show is good, too.

Offline eropS

• Out Run Speedster
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 26, 2013, 12:50:46 pm »
The show is good! Not at the book level, and if you find you're into that sort of thing I highly recommend Vikings on the History channel, which is basically Game of Thrones Lite.

Yeah the books are something special that's for sure. Haven't read a better incomplete series that stoked my imagination quite like this.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #985 on: April 26, 2013, 12:54:23 pm »
It's settled then. I'll go find the books.

Seen some of that Vikings show. My girlfriend loves the crap out of it. It's pretty solid, I've enjoyed what I say. I'll have to go back and watch the first few episodes in order and catch up on it.

Offline PatMan33

• Fable Hero
  • M I RITE? STICKERS?
    • View Profile
    • DuckDuckGo
« Reply #986 on: April 30, 2013, 12:05:57 pm »
COMING SOON...

The symphonic stylings of OG K-Seezy and Elemeno-Peezie have made a comeback and together we will be bringing you an all new Role Playing experience the likes of which you may remember from a few years ago when we used to do this kind of stuff! So just sit tight and prepare yourselves for the main event!

AWWW YEAAAAAAH

Offline Krakow Sam

• Dungeon Sieger
  • Stern dissaproval
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 30, 2013, 12:06:58 pm »
Well I'm tantalised.
Sam is basically right, he's just cranky.

Offline martyk

• Simon Belmont
  • Never underestimate the power of dolphin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 30, 2013, 02:47:49 pm »
Aww yiss.
Quote from: Doctor Zay
Martyk is a handsome fish.
Quote from: Brandonazz
This dolphin is delicious.
<Sgore> Martyk, mentally I always picture you as like, our forums bartender.
<Neoadept> I've always pictured you trapped in a tuna net

Offline Raz

• Questron Serf
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 30, 2013, 09:17:55 pm »